Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0978  (Read 1794 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0978
« on: April 14, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0978
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 12:59:09 AM »
Sabrina has magenta blood.   Alien?   Nice Blair/Ang dialogue.   I like the Barnabas/Q scene where Barnabas lays out the reasons he can't help himself (after biting Sabrina)... then Q realizes that's all Barnabas is going to say: "I can't help myself'.  No promises, no alternatives offerred.   Quentin is put into a weird, impossible position, because he still has to stop what's happening.  He says, "You can't just kill Sabrina!"   He understand about being cursed, that's what's so maddening.   Selby like Karlen always adds much-needed reality to these situations.

Did Jeb say to Ang that he told her about Sky being a Leviathan?   And that it counts as a favor he did for her?

Q sees PT, Cyrus appears.   Sabrina bite #2... isn't #3 fatal?   Jeb's spoiling things with his anti-Nicholas plan by being and sounding over-confident.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 07:46:02 AM »
3/25/70

Yay!  Quentin is back in his sexy gray suit!   I love to see HAA and LP sparring as AB and NB! Great performances!
“I’ll be fascinated to see what you come up with!” Angelique
In many ways I think that Angelique was a character who was very much conceived possibly from the movement that was at hand: a little thing called the feminist movement!

Once again it's great to see Chris and Quentin together again.  I love when Quentin enters the Old House and Quentin puts his hand in his pocket and one hand on the column and Barnabas says, “Obviously you know each other!” “Slightly—yes!” Q spits toward Jeb! LOL  Love his snarky ass!

Smoke is pouring onto the stage!  Is Grayson working!? ;)

Apparently part of B’s vampiric powers are to summon another supernatural creature: Angelique!   I think LP looks gorgeous in the black dress with gold on it.

“What are we doing here?  I could’ve had a drink while Jeb and are at the Old House!”  Yep—there is not doubt that is the Quentin I love!!! HEH!

I love the humming sound in the PT room!  I think Chris Pennock did an outstanding job of differentiating between Jeb and Cyrus!  Nice shot of Jeb & Angelique @ the fireplace.

Donald Briscoe’s side burns look great—very sexy!  Why didn't Quentin stay with Barnabas like he asked him to?  Confused!??
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 04:15:27 PM »
I like the Barnabas/Q scene where Barnabas lays out the reasons he can't help himself (after biting Sabrina)...
Yes, I liked that scene too.  The friendship between Barnabas and Quentin was so real and solid that it was like a third character in the room.

Sabrina bite #2... isn't #3 fatal?
I think not.  My impression with Dark Shadows vampires is that what matters is not the number of bites, but rather whether the victim dies directly as a result of a given bite.  I think Willie must have been bitten dozens of times in order for Barnabas to maintain his power over him, and Maggie and Charity were surely bitten more than three times as well.

In many ways I think that Angelique was a character who was very much conceived possibly from the movement that was at hand: a little thing called the feminist movement!
Oh, Taeylor, Taeylor, don't give feminism a bad name!

Why didn't Quentin stay with Barnabas like he asked him to?
I was wondering that myself.   I'm not sure Quentin could have prevented the second attack on Sabrina - in fact he might have been badly hurt in the process - but the attempt should have been made.  I notice that Barnabas apparently felt no urge to feed on Angelique, even though we were clearly told that she is currently human.  It's a shame.  If Angelique became Barnabas's victim, she wouldn't be able to do anything nasty to him, and if Barnabas were ever cured following that, the experience of having been his victim might - mind, I say might - dampen Angelique's interest in him.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 06:51:32 PM »
I think Ang was only behaving like a human being, by choosing not to use her powers.   Her supernatural nature remained, I think.

I was wondering about Willie last night.   My impression was that by the time of bite #3 the victim is usually so depleted that death is certain, unless the feedings are infrequent, and right now, the vamp can't help it.   In 1967 I suppose BC had no qualms about feeding elsewhere, so Willie was safe.

When Angelique debuted, was there a feminist movement yet?   Anyway, if anything, she might embody the sexist cliches about women... that their lives revolve around men, and become "witches" when scorned, going into jealous irrational rages, that sort of thing.   Really though, I think her character isn't feminist or anti-feminist, it just is.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 08:30:18 PM »
Really my thoughts on her being part of the feminist movement is the fact that she is a powerful woman figure on TV.  Nothing more.  I am not really thinking about her being nasty.  Just a woman who was given POWER and often would play the traditional play role of being in control.  JMO albeit possibly weird!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 06:45:09 AM »
After slogging through episode 977, I was very happy to see Q-Man in this episode. He adds so much... so much ...well, LIFE!

Wouldn't it be a kick to phone Collinwood and ask for Quentin?

Janet: Hello? Hello? Is Quentin there?
Quentin: Speaking.
Janet: Hey, Long and Lanky, how's about a little hanky panky?
Quentin: You got any liquor in the house?
Janet: But of course.
Quentin: I'll be right over.

Jeepers, didn't Nicholas look handsome in this episode?

Well, now we have Quentin added to the melee of drama that is the Collins legacy. Christ.

What did Barnabas request of Quentin? A meeting with Angelique to avoid a quarrel? Quarrel??? It's all out war with Angelique. Who are you kidding, Barnabas?

PT room or a drink? I'll take the drink first, and then check out this foolish BS that my nutso cousin is talking about.

I love Pennock's new character. Why? Because his portrayal of Jeb was so over the top, crummy acting. He really does a nice job as Cyrus.

You know, the portrait of Angelique is pretty and all. The artist captured her features. But there's something about it, and I can't quite place my artist's finger on it - but it seems to be flat and with no soul. I can't explain it any better than that, folks. It reminds me of when a photographer shoots a precocious kid photo. It ain't real, darlin'.

I wonder if the population of Collinsport slowly diminished during all that's happened since Barnabas was released from his tomb?

Final word. How is it that the construction paper monster [spoiler]killed Nicholas in the wink of an eye,[/spoiler] but took weeks chasing Jeb?

(edited by admin-- spoiler tags added)
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 06:51:35 AM »
What did Barnabas request of Quentin? A meeting with Angelique to avoid a quarrel? Quarrel??? It's all out war with Angelique. Who are you kidding, Barnabas?
Yes, I was surprised when Barnabas said "quarrel."  I thought he was going to say "brawl."

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 02:48:50 PM »
From the Forum Guidelines:

2. The purpose of these forums is to discuss DARK SHADOWS, its characters, actors and storylines. Role playing (putting oneself or another poster into the DS story) is discouraged, and repeated efforts to role play may result in removal of these posts from the board. This does not, however, refer to DS-related usernames or signatures. These forums also do not accept fan fiction and such works are subject to removal.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 02:30:02 AM »
How is it that the construction paper monster [spoiler]killed Nicholas in the wink of an eye,[/spoiler] but took weeks chasing Jeb?

I think that the shadow needed to get bigger and bigger, it was getting to be full strength.

I also thought where was Quentin, he said he was going to stay with Barnabas.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 06:34:42 AM »
I think that the shadow needed to get bigger and bigger, it was getting to be full strength.

Thanks, loril54, I never thought of that.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 10:12:24 PM »
In the reshoot, Sabrina's wounds are oozing blood.  I realize that Chris was busy trying to find a doctor to treat her, but you'd think he would have the sense to clean or cover them.

Why is Quentin alone at Collinwood and answering the phone?

There were two clear shadows in one scene in the Old House foyer-- of the paper cutout and an ABC camera.

I totally accept it when Barnabas repeats "I must" for emphasis, but coming from Chris (to Sabrina:  "You must tell me what happened. You must.") it's just weird.

Nicholas believes that Sky is completely loyal to him.  Ha, obviously he doesn't know about Sky's recent change of heart!  The moustachioed one is occupying Bruno's pad, and apparently has remodeled it by adding an outer door (the same ones used for the carriage house).  Geez, Bruno's front door switched sides again, but Lela Swift was directing so there goes my theory that she preferred it on the right side.

Had Quentin not abandoned Barnabas, I think he could have at least prevented Sabrina from getting in Barnabas' face.  And come to think of it, he also promised Chris he would return to the cottage, so Quentin pretty much dropped the ball all around.

Selby like Karlen always adds much-needed reality to these situations.

Wonderful observation, MT.

Did Jeb say to Ang that he told her about Sky being a Leviathan?   And that it counts as a favor he did for her?

No!  And no!  Barnabas learned about Sky from Megan and wasted no time in telling Angelique, and Sky admitted it after she confronted him that same night (#954).  And in #968, she blamed Jeb for everything she lost, including her marriage to Sky, and this was her motivation for placing the curse on Jeb.  So when Barnabas said in this ep that, if not for Jeb, "You may never have known the truth. It would have been too late," Angelique should have known that was bull.

Apparently part of B’s vampiric powers are to summon another supernatural creature: Angelique!

He summoned her in 1897 too, which she heard as a high-pitched noise, but in the DS universe humans have managed to summon Angelique directly too, even long distance.

I think Chris Pennock did an outstanding job of differentiating between Jeb and Cyrus!

Oh me too!

I think Ang was only behaving like a human being, by choosing not to use her powers.   Her supernatural nature remained, I think.

Yes, Angelique is still both supernatural and a being who is putting her powers to full use, but was granted permission to live as a human by Diabolos.

When Angelique debuted, was there a feminist movement yet?

Absolutely.  Consider the feminist writings of Sojourner Truth, Susan B. Anthony, or Simone de Beauvoir, to name a few.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 12:44:12 AM »
Sorry, I meant a feminist movement that had picked up enough steam to enter the popular mindset and affect, for one medium, television shows.    Movements obviously exist and build over a number of years, maybe decades, but it's hard to break into public consciousness.