Author Topic: Barnabas in the sun....  (Read 1634 times)

Offline A.I.Collins

• Full Poster
  • Look into those sexy eyes....
    • View Profile
Barnabas in the sun....
« on: November 18, 2003, 05:01:13 AM »
Hey guys!

Didn't you guys think it was cute how happy Barnabas was to be up and alert during the daytime?
It was so cute and funny to me the way he burst into the old house telling Valerie(Angelique) how great it was. That scene was priceless!

Adra

P.S...what's up with this sudden "cure" anyway?
Dark Shadows...my little ball of sunshine!!!

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:Barnabas in the sun....
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 05:47:45 AM »
Barnabas triumphantly and "casually" indicating how "normal" it is to be around during daylight with that shocked look on Gerard's face has got to be one of the best moments of the whole show.

The only unfortunate thing is Gerard insisting that someone must have helped him to do this, followed by the seemingly casual entrance of Valerie, whom he knows is Miranda and so presumably has his answer.

Also - some unfortunate timing - given something that will soon happen.
Josette

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2003, 06:16:38 PM »
I'm sorry, but did it strike anyone else as weird that Angelique could just lift the curse - presto!  If it was so easy, why didn't she do it at some other time, like say in 1897 when she had to give Barnabas all those injections after Julia was ripped out of the past?  Why didn't she just lift the curse then, if it was so easy - since she obviously was trying to help prevent his exposure as a vampire to the 1897 Collins family then as now (1840).
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2003, 04:27:33 AM »
It was a bit surprising how easy it apparently was.  Are we ever given any more details on how she accomplished this?  If so, could circumstances have been different in 1897 that for some reason restricted her ability to raise the curse?

But Angelique has changed more in 1840 than she did in a more limited way in 1897.  She wanted to help in 1897, but she may not have been willing to completely cure Barnabas at that time.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 11:29:35 AM »
I'm sorry, but did it strike anyone else as weird that Angelique could just lift the curse - presto!  If it was so easy, why didn't she do it at some other time, like say in 1897 when she had to give Barnabas all those injections after Julia was ripped out of the past?  Why didn't she just lift the curse then, if it was so easy - since she obviously was trying to help prevent his exposure as a vampire to the 1897 Collins family then as now (1840).

That's a good question! And look at all the trouble she had to go through to help him out back then.  Not only did she have to give him those injections all by herself, she also had to create that double for him in the coffin so everyone would think that the real vampire had been staked!

Vlad wrote:
But Angelique has changed more in 1840 than she did in a more limited way in 1897.  She wanted to help in 1897, but she may not have been willing to completely cure Barnabas at that time.

That may be true for 1897 but it certainly wasn't in 1795 when she had tried so desperately to remove the curse by giving him that potion to drink, which failed of course.

I just find it so odd that she could lift the curse so easily this time around.  I wonder if her strong fear of Judah had anything to do with it?  We've never really seen her so frightened of anyone before,  not even Nickolas Blair held this kind of fear over her.  Perhaps, it was that very same fear that just sort of esculated the strengh in her to make the spell successful this time.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2003, 10:37:20 PM »
But Angie wanted to remove the curse in 1795 right after the laid it and couldn't. . . and i do believe she was sincere about wanting to undo it then . . .
Julia99

Offline grayson67

• Junior Poster
  • I must come up with something creative to put here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2003, 06:17:57 AM »
I'm so glad to find that I'm not the only person who thinks it's strange that Angelique could just lift the curse so quickly and efficiently this time around. Presumably, she had learned a great deal between 1795 and 1840 - but, if this were the case, then she also should have been able to cure him in the same way in 1897.

Of course, the cynic in my says that, given the direction in which the writers were steering the Barnabas/Angelique relationship, the reason for this quick fix cure was that the writers were looking for a fast and easy way to make Barnabas' feeling for Angelique soften.

The more analytical "beat a plot into the ground until I've rationalized every last minute" ;D part of me says that technically, removing the curse in the way it was removed in 1840 would not have been sufficient in 1897. In 1840, no one (with the exception of Julia and Angelique - unless I'm forgetting someone else) knows Barnabas is a vampire - they merely suspect he may be a vampire. But in 1897, many people (Edward, Charity/Pansy, Petofi) knew he was a vampire, therefore the only way to clear Barnabas' name was for another completely innocent Cousin Barnabas to appear, while the vampire Barnabas lie staked in his coffin.

Mind you, that still doesn't explain why she would continue to give the injections in 1897 after Julia was gone, instead of just removing the curse... but, hey, she's Angelique... she may have thought Barnabas would see her as his own personal Florence Nightingale and fall madly in love with her as she nursed him back to humanity  [lghb]

grayson67 (Melissa)

IluvBarnabas

Re: Barnabas in the sun....
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 08:14:26 PM »
I love that scene where Barnabas is so excited to be out on the day....it was indeed so cute.....thank goodness
though that this time the curse is over forever.....I really felt bad for him when [spoiler]he became a vampire again, thanks to Jeb in the Leviathan storyline.[/spoiler]