Author Topic: OT/ Anyone else having difficulty?  (Read 2771 times)

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
Re: OT/ Anyone else having difficulty?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2003, 02:34:42 AM »
MB,

My computer is still freezing up when I'm in the DS Forums.  I have not seen the error message you referenced that Is connected to my name along with several other posters.  Where is that error message located?

Is there anything I can do to not have my computer freeze up on me?

Thanks for your assistance.

Murph

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2003, 03:11:44 AM »
MB,
  Everything seems to be working fine.  Thanks for looking into it.  When I first read it, I thought it said "upchuck error" and my computer has never barfed that I am aware of.  Lets hope it never does.  Thanks again.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2003, 05:42:58 AM »
One other thing is that the last few days I have to login everytime I go into the Forum.  

For convenience sake I keep logged in all the time so I don't have to enter my login name and password everytime.  But as stated above the last few days when  I've come to the Forum I've had to login even though I've checked the box to keep myself logged in all the time.  

HELP

Thanks,

Murph

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2003, 06:51:17 AM »
on and off i've had a few problems but most of mine is when i hit my cap key goes back to home!
jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2003, 10:16:41 AM »
I have not seen the error message you referenced that Is connected to my name along with several other posters.  Where is that error message located?

You wouldn't see that error, Murph, because it's listed in the server's error_log.

Is there anything I can do to not have my computer freeze up on me?

I don't really know why your computer is freezing up. I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that you're running Win95 and IE 4 because I installed both on one of my older computers tonight and the forum worked fine for me.

Java scripts can sometimes cause a computer to freeze up. But if you weren't getting freeze up before now I don't really see why you'd be getting them now because nothing about the forum itself has changed in months.

The one thing that has changed is the server the forum is being run on. But I don't really see why that would make a difference.

Have you ever given any thought to upgrading your version of IE? If your problem is in some way suddenly related to the Java scripts the forum uses, a newer version of Microsoft's Java Runtime Machine *might* help eliminate it. :) Or you might consider upgrading instead to Sun's Java Runtime Environment. Microsoft was recently ordered by yet another court to cease including their own Java Runtime package because it's been ruled that it infringes on Sun's version because Sun actually developed Java. However, I believe Microsoft only has to begin including Sun's version in newly packed versions of Windows NT, XP and possibly 2k. I doubt you'd get it if you simply upgrade IE.

To upgrade IE, go here.

To just upgrade your Java Runtime Enviroment. go here.
Even though you're still running Win95, there should be a version there for you. Once you've clicked on "Download now. It's free!" the site should tell you what options you have available to download.

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2003, 05:00:35 PM »
Sorry, MB - I haven't been available to post for a couple days, was out of town.

I was having some problems with my computer freezing up here and there last week.  Mostly it happened when I was trying to preview my posts, IIRC.  And I think the whole board was just moving rather slowly, at least for me.  I don't remember ever receiving any error messages.  Figured it was something to do with the new host, or server, or whatever it's called, LOL.  I'm not very computer savvy!

I'll let you know if I have further problems.  Thanks for the 'heads up' - and for looking out for us!  :)
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2003, 06:04:54 PM »
Oh, and BTW, I had that same problem again with my computer freezing up on me.  This time it happened when I was trying to preview my posting "Help!  I screwed up a posting!" that is also in this section.  The only thing unusual I was doing was I also had the help window open, looking for an emoticon.

Maybe I should just stay off the board for awhile.  I'll check back with you later.
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2003, 01:46:43 AM »

That's a server error and could be related to the error I discovered in the error_log yesterday. If you ever get it again, could you please either copy down what the entire page says, or perhaps make a screen capture of the page and post it here?

Thanks. ;)

yep, I think it was something like that, and if  I get it again, I will record all data and let you know.  but I have not had that happen since the posting above, and the board seems to be back to speed.

and I have never seen the Upchuck error either.

thanks for the work ya'll do! My hair is off to ya!
Ringo
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2003, 01:39:47 AM »
Hi MB,
    I got #590 Unchunk Failure again.  The message says "This web page could not be opened with the specified browser request."  I was able to get through by opening microsoft internet explorer.  Am I the only one getting this weird message?
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2003, 02:12:01 AM »
Am I the only one getting this weird message?

It appears so. :(

But if anyone else has received it, please speak up...

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2003, 03:38:39 AM »
MB,
    Everything is working fine.  Famous Maine expression "Now ain't that odd" and your response would be "Ayuh".  Of course, I have been told non-natives are not supposed to use the term "Ayuh".