Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0756  (Read 533 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0756
« on: July 29, 2014, 03:44:42 PM »
Robservations #756

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0756

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 03:55:02 PM »
In the reshoot of the last teaser, we can see from the headstone that Ben lived from 1756 to 1816--sixty years, a good run for a man of his time and experience. (Later, we will learn that he lived until [spoiler]1840.)[/spoiler]

Barnabas greets Laura politely, but then grabs the book from her with no politeness at all. They proceed to have a verbal duel. Dirk charges him, but with one vampirically strong hand he seizes Dirk by the throat, forcing him to his knees. You’re not human! Laura gasps. Then what am I? asks Barnabas mildly. I don’t know, but I’m sure that book has a name for whatever you are, Laura retorts.  [ghost_cheesy] She vows she'll get her children, he vows to destroy her. After he leaves, Laura completely ignores the roughed-up Dirk and soliloquizes, We came here to learn about Barnabas, she replies, and now we know. The “original” Barnabas and Barnabas Collins are one and the same. Dirk protests, But the “original” Barnabas lived in the 1700s! Yes, Laura says, I remember a strange, dreamy boy with surprisingly sad eyes. He was a boy one could be fond of--but I am not fond of him anymore, she finishes with a snarl. She's convinced that when she disappeared at the Old House--when Barn summoned her 18th-century avatar--Barn made her disappear, and he could make her disappear forever! She's determined to get the kids, starting with Nora, and go. Dirk asks anxiously if "ALL of us" are going, but she ignores him, intent on her own thoughts of Barnabas's destruction.

Poor Nora has gotten her shoes muddy, but for once Charity shows a little compassion and offers to help her clean then. When she leaves to get a brush, Barnabas suddenly materializes. Nora is happy to see him, but she wants to be with Jamison and her mother. It turns out that she's afraid to go near the fire, even to put her shoes in front of it to dry. Does the fire frighten you or make you unhappy? he asks gently. I don’t know! she wails, upset. Barnabas says, I do--I know about the bad dreams you’ve been having. I’m going to make it all right, he promises. Do you believe me? Yes, she says. Then look into my eyes. She complies and becomes mesmerized by his gaze in a moment. What do you see? he asks. Myself, very small, Nora answers. And very frightened, Barnabas adds. Keep looking into my eyes, he tells her, and you’ll be less frightened.

Dirk sneaks into the Old House. Except for him, it's deserted, so he starts upstairs.

Meanwhile, Nora feels much better. Barnabas persuades her that his visit will be their secret.  I like secrets, Nora chirps. Charity returns and sends Nora off to bed. You shouldn't have come here, she chides Barnabas. I had to, Barnabas replies. I had to keep Nora alive, he adds, to Charity’s shock. He warns her that Laura is on her way and that Charity should let her in. My father has forbidden late-night visits from relatives, Charity protests. Don’t ask me to disobey my father, she pleads. If he finds out, he’ll punish me! You must take that risk, Barnabas insists. Do you understand? I don’t know what I understand anymore, Charity wails. Ever since I met you, everything is all mixed up. She starts at a sudden noise. I was sure my father was calling me, she says. Charity, Barnabas whispers compellingly, close your eyes, and this room will disappear. You should remember the Old House and the last time we met there. Dreamily Charity recalls, I drank wine that tasted like apples. It made me feel warm and light. My father disapproves of wine, she murmurs just before Barnabas bites her.

Dirk has found nothing upstairs at the Old House, but as he comes back downstairs, he spots the iron door and tries the lock. Being the groundskeeper, he has keys to all the locks on the Great Estate. He takes them out and starts trying them, looking for the right one.

Barn and Charity are still in the schoolroom when Laura knocks on the door. Charity covers the bite marks with her shawl and opens the door, but when she turns around, Barn has dematerialized. (He simply vanishes more times in 1897 than in any other story line, I think.) Charity gives Laura the standard line that no visitors are allowed at night. Laura suspects that Charity has had a visitor herself but is far less curious about him than she should be, assuming simply that it was Charity's "young man." She orders Charity to pack up Nora's things immediately and bring her down, or she'll wake up the whole school. Charity protests, but Laura insists. Charity says she'll bring Nora downstairs can’t promise anything else. This satisfies Laura, who tells Charity, Don’t mention who her visitor is--when she was very little, Nora used to like surprises.

Dirk has found the right key. He's surprised to see a coffin in the basement, but even more surprised when it turns out to be empty.

Nora is happy to see her mother, but Barnabas's hypnosis has worked. The little girl has no interest in going away. The suspicious Laura asks, Who have you spoken to? No one, Nora replies. My shoes got muddy, and Charity sent me to bed. Did you dream someone told you something bad about me? No, Nora replies. I had a dream about you, and and how nice you were before you went away--when I wasn’t afraid of you. Afraid of me? How could you be afraid of me? Laura asks. You’ve changed since you came back, Nora replies.  Laura tells Charity to send Nora back upstairs. I thought your father was meditating, she tells Charity and adds her parting shot: What would he think if he knew his rule against late-night visitors had been broken _twice_ tonight? She stalks out, and Charity follows. Left alone, Nora grins.

Laura and Dirk meet up at Ben's grave, and Dirk tells her about the empty coffin. Laura puts two and two together and realizes that Barnabas is a vampire. Dirk is stunned. Barnabas is vulnerable, Laura gloats. It will be easy to destroy him. I’ll do just that when morning comes--and he’s completely helpless.

Sometime later, Barnabas returns to the Old House, unaware that Laura and Dirk are only a few steps behind him. They watch his arrival.

After sunrise, Dirk and Laura enter the Old House. Laura orders Dirk to keep watch. Brandishing the traditional mallet and stake, she says triumphantly, Two simple things, and the existence of Barnabas Collins will end forever. While Dirk remains upstairs on guard with a pistol, she goes down to the basement. She opens the coffin and gazes at the obliviously slumbering--and utterly helpless--vampire. As she places the sharp point of the stake above his heart, she wonders, Long ago, when you were a small boy with sad eyes, did they see your future? Did they see this moment--when you would be destroyed forever? She raises the mallet to strike....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 09:46:22 PM »
With Barnabas and Nora, all I can think is, what a very good soul underneath, who does so much damage.

According to my notes-- what did Barnabas DO to Dirk?  Nancy loves her close-up...  The room Barnabas talks to Nora in is the old 1795 gaol anteroom.  Dirk pops the box... Vampires make sure they have daylight protectors, Laura.  how amazing that she opted for performing the staking herself...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 07:04:47 PM »
I think Barn just hypnotized Dirk, same as he did Nora.

I think Laura is one of those people who if they want something done right, they have to do it themselves.

MT, when I read "daylight protectors," the first thought that leaped into my brain was an image of a special canopy or sunshade!  [ghost_grin]