Author Topic: First Look at Chloe Moretz in "Carrie" remake on ET Tonight  (Read 825 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
First Look at Chloe Moretz in "Carrie" remake on ET Tonight
« on: April 04, 2013, 11:12:53 PM »
For those interested, I just saw a promo that tonight's Entertainment Tonight will be featuring a First Look segment on Chloe Moretz' Carrie remake.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: First Look at Chloe Moretz in "Carrie" remake on ET Tonight
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 01:42:22 AM »
'Carrie' trailer: Chloe Grace Moretz poised to terrify in remake

Interestingly, I see where the release date has been moved from March 15 to October 18. That can probably only help it because, as the article states, it's "the ideal release date for a horror film of this magnitude."  [easter_wink]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 08:44:58 PM »
As a big Carrie fan (having enjoyed both previous cinematic versions), the trailer doesn't trip me.  It looks like something advertising a Lifetime movie.  (I cannot picture Margaret White driving a car - and she should be hefty according to the Stephen King description, not svelte - I'm picturing someone more Kathy Batesish doing the part).  But I know I should reserve judgement.  DS-2012 was poorly marketed in trailers and I ended up loving it.

Gerard

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 05:16:13 AM »
I agree on Margaret's looks, but Carrie's weight is heavier, and I think an important element in the novel, yet this makes the third movie to have Carrie be thin and pretty if she'd only get a makeover, which is ugly in a Hollywood movie.
I love Julianne Moore, and have no doubt she is going to rock hard in this role. I also like Chloe, and am sure she'll be good. I'm a big Stephen King fan, and Carrie is a good story. Really looking forward to this - not many movies really grab my attention any more it seems.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 03:43:22 PM »
the slender moore appears to be playing margaret white in the piper laurie tradition...

I never read the king book but, yes, I would have assumed the carrie character would have been somewhat "homely". so it's interesting that yet again a thin and pretty actress is cast in the part.

as I recall from my own high school days girls that looked like moretz usually got all the cash and prizes. [easter_rolleyes]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 04:06:28 PM »
In the book both Margaret and Carrie are very overweight. Considering this is the third Carrie movie, I think sticking closer to the book would at least be a worthy reason to remake the movie again.
Still want to see it though. I love Julianne Moore, and I think she'll be great in such an extreme role.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 06:27:24 PM »
Stephen King's choice for Carrie in the original movie was Mackenzie Phillips.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 08:17:32 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that in the original Brian DePalma film Eve Plumb was high up on the list.  Melanie Griffith was also considered and was close to landing the part.  Sissy Spacek was considered a long-shot and got the part because she showed up to her audition wearing an ancient, frumpy dress, no make-up and vaseline in her hair.

Chloe Moretz is, at least, the same age as the character and that's a first (16).  They didn't give the part to a twenty-(and-even-thirtiesh)-something.  Sissy Spacek (1976 version) was 26; Angella Bettis (2002 version) was 29.  King wanted Linsay Lohan (26) to do it, but I think that might've been a trainwreck.  Moretz also does seem to have a bit more, how shall we call it, "baby-fat" than the other two actresses, bringing her a bit closer to King's vision.  Carrie, in the novel, was - as has already been pointed out - somewhat overweight (one of the abusive nicknames given to her by her bullying schoolmates was "puddin'").  She also had acne ("The Lord's way of chastising you," as her Mommie Dearest, Margaret, said in both the novel and both, I believe, cinematic previous versions).  Regardless of the discrepencies between the written Carries and cinematic Carries, the producers stated that this version will be closer to King's story, albeit with updating (I guess that's why Margaret drives a car, but I still think, even in the twenty-teens, I can't evision it - I still see her huffing it on foot to the laundry and dry-cleaners where, in the novel, she worked).  The 2002 version had Carrie researching her powers on the internet rather than in books in the library, causing Momma Margaret to spit the word out as if it was blasphemy:  "The...internet."

I'm still dying to see this version.  I'm a bit ticked off it's been moved from this past March to upcoming October.  I want to see it now.  But maybe that's necessary to try and improve the marketing; like I said, I'm not enthralled with the first trailer.  It looks cheap and like something from one of the old slasher films from the eighties.  The portrayal of Margaret particularly falls stereotypically flat.  In the '76 version, she was over the top; in the '02 version, she was icingly subtle.  But Moore, being an accomplished actress, will hopefully pull it off. 

Gerard