Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0266  (Read 896 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0266
« on: April 02, 2007, 05:00:08 AM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0266
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 02:32:24 PM »
We leave Maggie basking in the compassionate care for which Windcliff is so justly famed, and we go back to Collinwood to give Joan Bennett a workout.  She was in the whole of today's episode except for a minute or two, and she did an excellent job.  Usually she comes across as slightly strident, so I wouldn't have believed she could be so subdued.  Elizabeth was so submissive that she even had Jason worried.  It didn't last long, though; he ended up smiling - the fool.  This is the attitude that keeps landing him back in the poorhouse.

Once again, people aren't addressing issues.  Vicky sees Elizabeth acting depressed.  She knows perfectly well what the problem is.  And what does she say?  She says: "Do you want Mrs. Johnson to send up some lunch for you?"  She says: "I think Carolyn and Buzz are really going to get married."  She says: "Jason McGuire told me to buy a dress and charge it to you."  She doesn't say: "You're the bravest person I've ever met and I support you in whatever you do."  And she doesn't say: "Do you want me to brush your hair for you?  Or maybe give you a back rub?"  And she doesn't say: "Just say the word, Mrs. Stoddard, and I'll send Jason out for a drive in a car that has mysteriously lost its bleeder valve."  But then, Vicky never was the warmest person on the face of the earth.  Maybe it's the result of that foundling home upbringing.

I wonder where Jason picked up that brooch that he gave Liz.  It sure didn't come from his dear departed mother.  If it had, he would have sold it long ago.  Maybe he found it on the beach and polished it up a bit, and went looking in the West Wing for a box for it.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 06:55:12 PM »
I agree with what has been said. A good show for Liz, Liz was showing signs that something was wrong, why didn't someone until Mrs Johnson, really picked someing up Do they have to put up a Neon Sign.  ^-^

The three Widows, Did everyone forget about Josette?

Vicki, started with "I don't understand" just a temp thing.

Joan was great. Bravo
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 08:14:19 PM »
While I don't agree with the assessment that Vicki was never the warmest person on the show (quite the contrary I think she was one of the most warmest, friendiest characters on the show, even when she went into her "I don't understand" phase) I also believe she should have been more alert to the way Elizabeth was acting. Perhaps she IS already starting into the world of I don't understand for which there will be no return. [rleyeg]

Yes, Mrs. Johnson did pick up on Elizabeth's depression a lot better than Vicki and she wasn't even on the secret!

It's quite clear why Elizabeth is depressed....she's marrying a man she can't stand and she can't see any way out (other than telling the truth and at this time she feels she can't). I think she also believes she may have handled everything rather badly, from giving in to Jason to not being able to be honest with anybody, not only Carolyn, but the whole family. Sure Vicki KNOWS, but Elizabeth has sworn her to secrecy.

Poor woman feels so trapped and helpless. [cryb]

I wholeheartedly agree Joan was just excellent today!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 01:38:11 AM »
my take on vicki in this episode wasn't that she was cold at all.

while many of us like to read a mother/daughter subtext into any and all exchanges between elizabeth and vicki it's important to remember that liz was vicki's employer first and foremost.

so offering to brush her hair or give her a backrub might not have been appropriate.she was well aware of the distress liz was in but also needed to attend day to day activities as well.

in many other scenes she's more than supportive of liz(much more so than carolyn)and as the storyline plays out she becomes even more so.

sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 10:25:42 AM »
Joan Bennett did an excellent job in this episode! [bigok] Poor Elizabeth - she didn't know what else to do, so she was depressed enough to be suicidal.  [sadg] That was pretty eerie to hear the widows' call out to her.  Scary stuff. [shkdg]

I really like JB/Elizabeth with her hair down.  She was an extremely attractive woman!  The resemblance between Elizabeth and Vicki was very apparent today.  I agree that sometimes Vicki was more supportive (in a daughterly way) than Carolyn was to Elizabeth. [winkg]

Jason was true to form today.  He thought it was curious how Elizabeth was reacting to him, but he just sloughed it off and ended up being pleased about it!  If he really cared about her, he would have been concerned and more supportive of her.  Just another example of why I will be happy when [spoiler]Barnabas kills him.[/spoiler]

----- Sally -----

[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]