Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0777  (Read 487 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0777
« on: August 27, 2014, 03:42:23 PM »
Robservations #777

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0777

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 04:05:32 PM »
Judith, still looking rather vacant, is frustrated that she can’t remember what happened. As Trask hands her a cup of tea, he tells her, Don't dwell on it--you know what Edward and I told you. Dirk's hold on you is over. He actually caresses her throat with one finger, observing, Even the marks on your neck are gone. She smiles as if she actually enjoys his touch [bleargh!]. We must think of the future, he says. Suddenly Tim rushes in. But before he can say a word, Trask orders Judith, Call the police and tell them Minerva's murderer has been captured! Just to make sure, he trains a gun on Tim as they exchange glares.

But Tim finally has an ace up his sleeve and he plays it brilliantly: He tells Judith that he found her standing over Rachel, gun in hand. Trask insists that Judith call the police, but then she starts to remember. She asks Tim how many times Rachel was shot. Three, Tim replies concisely, and Judith recalls that three bullets were missing from her gun. Horrified, she sinks onto the couch and covers her face with her hands. Dear Judith wasn't morally responsible, Trask argues. She was under the spell of an unnatural creature. Tim retorts, And I must have been under a spell too, when I killed Mrs. Trask. That's a convenient excuse, Trask sneers. Tim says, I must admit that I had something to do with Mrs. Trask's death, but I don't know how or why or who cast me under this spell. But I think I'll have the leisure to discover who that was--NOW. He looks at Trask pointedly; the Reverend looks stonily back. Judith calls, Gregory! I still want to call the police--but you, Gregory, must make the call for me. Never taking his eyes from Trask, Tim observes, That isn't such a good idea, is it? Trask suggests to Judith, I think you should just rest. I can't, she protests. You must call the police and tell them there are two murderers at Collinwood. She doesn't know what she's saying, Tim scoffs. Taking Tim’s arm, Trask leads him out of the drawing room as he says, I have to speak to Judith--but don't do anything you'll regret. He closes the double doors in dismissal, leaving Tim in the foyer.

Distraught and conscience stricken, Judith is ready to pay the penalty. Trask insists she wasn't responsible. Cupping her chin in his hand [bleargh again!] and making her look at him, he continues, I have fought against evil all my life and recognize the enemy. I know what the evil force wants you to do next--permit yourself to be destroyed because of Rachel's murder. But I did it, Judith insists. Only if you confess to the crime, only then will you be evil, Trask replies with unusually warped logic, even for him. Only then will you be lying. You didn't kill Rachel--Dirk did. But Dirk is dead, Judith argues. And so is Rachel, Trask replies. Will it restore her for even one moment if you, Judith, are destroyed too? And you could easily go to the gallows. Judith looks at him with horror. And if you died, Trask continues, ever more confident of securing his goal, my life would be bleak and dark and meaningless--I would soon die, too. Do you mean that? she asks in surprise. Every word, Trask vows. What do you advise? Judith asks. I advise silence, he replies. I will speak to the police myself. What about Tim? she asks. Relax, Trask tells her. I will do what has to be done. You can't keep Tim from telling the police about me, Judith argues. I can, Trask assures her. I will give the police the proper answers. There is a way, he says as he reaches for the phone. He asks the operator for the sheriff's office.

Out in the foyer, Tim is practically dancing with frustration because he can’t hear anything. (Somehow the drawing room must have become temporarily soundproof, because lots of other eavesdroppers hear all kinds of things.) He starts to leave quietly, then changes his mind and listens at the door for a moment, then walks away again. Judith listens as Trask tells the police that Tim Shaw has come back and is at Collinwood.

At 3:00 p.m., Tim is alternately still listening at the door and pacing. Judith’s misery turns to sheer amazement as Trask continues his phone conversation with the sheriff: Tim spent the night in Bangor. In the excitement of the night, I had forgotten I’d sent him there for supplies.... No, I had no idea she was dead. I am extremely shocked.… You can speak to Tim, yes, but he’s a most unlikely suspect.… You'll have to look elsewhere for the fiend who murdered my wife. After Trask hangs up, Judith tells him, I’ve never been so honored in my life. You let your wife’s murderer go free--for me. I had no choice, Trask replies. Would Minerva understand? she wonders. Trask assures her, Minerva was a most understanding woman. He calls Tim back into the drawing room and tells him, I've finished speaking with Judith and the police. I told the police I sent you to Bangor. I am sure you will support that story. Gladly, Tim answers, savoring the irony of Trask’s actions. Trask continues, Then you will leave Worthington Hall. Even more gladly, Tim replies. Do you think Mr. Hanley will still help me find a job? Trask advises him against approaching Evan. Perhaps I should speak to Miss Collins, Tim says. After all, I obviously do need a new position. Trask says, I suggest you leave this part of the country--the world is wide for a young man. Tim smiles as he answers, Collinsport is world enough for me just now. I’m sure Miss Collins can arrange a place for me. Judith says sternly, Mr. Edward handles the hiring. Tim assures her, I’m no ordinary applicant: I’m industrious, well educated, ambitious--and besides, I have an exceptionally good memory. Judith grudgingly agrees to speak to Mr. Edward.

Suddenly Carl bounds in, angry at all of them for not looking for "my Pansy," who could be starving to death in the woods somewhere. Regaining some of her old authority, Judith orders him not to mention her name again. Trask tells Carl that a search party was combing the woods, looking for the vampire--and somehow, Rachel was shot to death. Judith bows her head, unable to look anyone in the eye. Trask suggests they all all help Judith, who is most upset. Really a rather nice person if a complete idiot, Carl agrees. Judith wants Rachel's body brought back to Collinwood--so they can have the funeral immediately. Trask tells Carl, I suggest you and Tim go to the Old House to await the police--the sooner started, the sooner ended, he adds. Tim gives Trask a significant look as he leaves, taking Carl with him. Trask warns Judith, You must be more cautious--even Carl is suspicious. I know, Judith moans wearily. I'm sorry. I tried, but I couldn't. Yes, you can, Trask insists. You can do anything. I have supreme faith in Judith Collins. We will have the service this afternoon, Judith says. Yes, as soon as I've spoken to the police, he says. Thank you, Gregory, she replies.

The police have come and gone, and the undertakers have taken Rachel's body away, but Tim and Carl are lingering at the Old House. Carl offers his very genuine sympathy; Tim thanks him. Were you close? Carl asks gently. Tim answers, It's difficult for me, even now, to realize she's gone. It seems almost as though I myself had died. We were close once, very close. [Are we to gather that he carried a torch for her, but that she was naively oblivious?] I don't believe it, Carl bursts out. I don't believe Rachel died by accident. There have been too many accidents happening around here, and no one explains them well enough for old Carl's satisfaction. [Like Willie Loomis a century later, Carl often refers to himself in the third person.] My Pansy didn't disappear by accident, I know that. Who is Pansy? Tim asks politely. My missing fiancée, Carl replies and tells Tim his story. My Pansy is a wonderful girl, he enthuses. She’s beautiful, refined, cultured--and English, he adds as if this is her chief asset. But she just disappeared, he concludes unhappily. He suggests they return to Collinwood. I'll join you in a moment, Tim says. Carl reminds him that Rachel’s funeral will be held shortly, then leaves. Tim picks up a shawl from the strange round purple settee--possibly the shawl was intended to be Rachel’s, but she never wore it. Abruptly he hears a woman’s voice humming a familiar tune (familiar to us, but Tim never met the hummer). He listens intently. A chill wind blows out of nowhere, and Tim shivers, only partly from cold. Suddenly Pansy Faye appears before him. Who are you? Tim asks. Where did you come from? She, however, takes one look at him and says, You aren't the one I'm looking for. I have so little time--I must find him. Barnabas? Tim asks, nonplussed, but Pansy simply walks right past him. I must keep looking, she says. Terrified, Tim races for the door, shouting, CARL! Carl races back, and Tim meets him just outside the front door. There's a very strange woman in there, he tells Carl. She came from nowhere and came in asking for you. Nearly hysterical, Carl rushes into the house. In a forlorn, high-pitched voice, he calls out, Pansy! My darling Pansy! The camera pulls back to reveal the entire Old House drawing room--and to show us that Pansy has vanished.

Carl and Tim search the Old House (except for the basement, of course) but find no trace of Pansy. Now Tim suggests they leave, but this time, Carol stays at the Old House, calling to Pansy.

One hopes that Rachel is enjoying enough eternal bliss to be unaware that Trask, at the epitome of his hypocrisy, officiates at her funeral. Hardly more than a child herself, she had a wonderful way with children, he intones piously. They loved her as we loved her. We will long remember her bright smile, her youthful radiance--but most of all, her devotion, her dedication, to duty. Tonight, the littlest angels will have a lovely new teacher to care for them. Dressed in deepest mourning as if Rachel were a member of the family, Judith turns away from the coffin, crying into a handkerchief. Tim and Carl stand nearby; Tim can hardly conceal his disgust and impatience. Trask tells the young men, Will you take Rachel's body to the graveyard. I’m not coming--I don't want to leave Judith alone. I don't think it would be a good idea for her to go to the cemetery. She is much too upset to attend.

Well, that’s over and done with, Carl remarks as he tamps down the last bit of earth on Rachel’s grave. Tim, who has apparently buried his gentleness and a certain pedantic charm along with Rachel, announces, I’m going to Collinsport and get drunk. Carl tells him, If you see Pansy, tell her I’m looking for her. Tim agrees. Carl says he’s going back to the Old House to search again. Tim says, If you see Barnabas, tell him what happened. He’s been a very good friend. I’ll be back later with some flowers--after I get drunk. Tim leaves Carl standing alone at Rachel’s grave. Suddenly he hears Pansy Faye singing; this time she seems to have brought her own Victrola. Where are you? he calls out. Why can’t I see you? He gets angry and warns her, If you don’t come out, I’m leaving. He pleads one last time, Oh, Pansy, you’ll be frightened in the graveyard, at night, alone with the dead! A sudden horrid though occurs to him: Unless you’re dead too!...

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 11:16:32 PM »
Kay Frye VO?  Tim starts taking charge of his own life with this scene with Trask and Judith at Collinwood.  Despite having just lost a close friend since childhood, Tim grabs hold of the situation, and  manipulates it to fix his life.  He handles it all beautifully.  When Tim bursts into the Drawing Room, Trask pulls a gun.  An armed priest?  Anyway, everyone decides to keep everyone else's secrets. 

Tim and Carl commisserate, an odd couple to come together.  Carl leaves the Old House, then Pansy appears before Tim, looking VERY dead, and in another world, despite the actress's standing right there, with no special effect.  She's a good ghost.  Tim's alarm sells it too.

The odd couple bury Rachel, Tim goes to get drunk, understandably.  Carl hears spirit Pansy performing in the graveyard to an invisible gramophone.  End.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 12:21:32 AM »
DS Wiki says that yes, Kay Frye does the opening VO.

Sometimes the writers come up with really ingenious plot twists. I thought the first scene, with Tim, Judith, and Gregory, was really well written and well acted. Ditto the scenes with Tim and Carl, opposites if ever there were any.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 09:48:52 PM »
Thanks, DL.  Sometimes Briscoe is a bit awkward as Tim, but he owns the situation and his lines, here.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 10:39:08 PM »
Yeah, I think DB had a hard time with the original, nebbishy Tim.