Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0353  (Read 1007 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0353
« on: November 29, 2012, 01:43:13 AM »
Robservations - #353

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0353

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 02:28:04 AM »
One of my favorite Julia lines occurs in this ep. When Julia is telling Barnabas some painful truths about Vicki, Carolyn's arrival interrupts, and he tells Carolyn he was just saying goodnight to Julia, I love how Julia retorts:

Julia - "Oh, is *that* what we were saying?"

[snow_laugh]

Also, Joel Crothers seemingly loves to stand with his right leg propped up and his crotch in the other actors' faces? He does it in this ep:

And he does it in[spoiler]Ep #394:

[/spoiler]

And he may do it in other eps that aren't coming to mind right now...

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 04:20:22 PM »
Funny about Joel Crothers! And GH is in her waspish element in the scene at the Old House!

Carolyn waits impatiently for sunset by the fountain. In a pleased soliloquy, she tells herself, I don’t have any friends, but I don’t mind because of you, _dear_ Cousin Barnabas. NOW Joe turns up and offers to help her search the mausoleum, but of course that's the last thing she wants now.

Barnabas offers to fund a private search party to try to find Burke's missing plane. Of course propriety demands that Vicki should turn down this generous offer.

Another episode that ends with Barnabas threatening Julia.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 07:21:11 PM »
Barnabas offers to fund a private search party to try to find Burke's missing plane. Of course propriety demands that Vicki should turn down this generous offer.

Barnabas must have gotten a really good deal when he sold those jewels he was "buried" with...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 07:52:31 PM »
So far it's been a shaky week for viewing. Two B&W eps and this ep has audio & video glitches and is of poor color quality. At least this is the case with MPI VHS volume 25. (It's cover is that of the aged Barn in mid-pounce of Carolyn.) I have no complaints about the storyline though. Things are progressing nicely.

I don't think I've ever seen Vicki look more drab than in this episode, and this overlit ep and washed out print isn't helping any.

The acting was good and nothing over the top or beyond reason happened for me to question. The ep had a good flow. For me, right now everything is building up to Julia's exposure to Barnabas and what will happen as a result.

I couldn't help but giggle thinking that Vicki's hand would end up looking like the bouquet of yellow roses Julia brought to Vicki a few eps ago, that died after Barn's touch. I keep picturing Cassandra's 'old' hand, lol.

Oh, I noticed four small horizontal panes of glass over the Old House front doors. I've never noticed that before -- have they always been there?

This is petty and incidental, but I wish Barn's closing line would have ended with the words "death warrant", instead of "death certificate". The whole last line sounded awkward to me.

LOL, Magnus, I keep thinking the same thing. Barn does seem to have an unlimited cash flow.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 08:52:08 PM »
For all we know, the script could have said "death warrant," and JF could have muffed the line.

Maybe Barnabas had some other investments besides the jewels. Think of all that compound interest piling up!  [snow_smiley]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 03:16:46 AM »
I don't think any glass was in the Old House front door at first.  My freshest memories are pre-Barnabas.

One of the many cliches of '60s TV was "You've just signed your own death warrant!"   Barnabas should not have said anything like this, unless he's a closet TV maniac.

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 04:23:48 PM »
One of the many cliches of '60s TV was "You've just signed your own death warrant!"   Barnabas should not have said anything like this, unless he's a closet TV maniac.

[snow_cheesy] [snow_cheesy] [snow_cheesy] Very true, MT!

I once read a list of supposed DS secrets, one of which was that Barnabas actually had a TV in a secret room in the basement of the Old House.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 12:40:36 AM »
Vickie is reluctant to go o the old house and it makes Carolyn suspicious of Julia. This is the first time I noticed the window also.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 07:23:15 PM »
I was just watching the episodes where Julia first meets Barnabas, and I had a very quick glimpse of the glass above the OH doors too. Maybe it was always there.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 07:43:40 PM »
Thanx for reporting that. I couldn't think of a good reason to add them to the set now, so that was bugging me. Funny, the things you just notice, that have always been there, lol.