Author Topic: "Vicki" Cast In New WB Pilot  (Read 1063 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
"Vicki" Cast In New WB Pilot
« on: December 17, 2004, 10:59:24 PM »
In just the latest example of one of the WB DS pilot's actors being brought onto one of John Wells' or the WB's shows or signing some sort of development deal with Wells or the WB, news comes that Marley Shelton (the pilot's Vicki) has been cast in a WB pilot for a potential new sitcom:

The WB Laughs with Shelton

(The WB deals would certainly seem to put a stake ([wink2]) in those rumors following the failure of the pilot to be picked up which claimed that the WB thought the pilot had been terribly cast. But then, it's often wise not to believe at least half of what you read - particularly when said rumors are unsubstantiated and sources "who choose to remain anonymous" are cited...  ::))

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: "Vicki" Cast In New WB Pilot
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 11:14:43 PM »
I know I'm too old to be the WB's target audience......but is it just me, or was that the most pathetic  "concept" for a TV show you've ever read: "What's it like to be a 25 year old woman today?"

I've got a great concept: go back and admit you made a mistake about the DS pilot and try to get it right this time..... [angrb]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2004, 01:29:58 AM »
as disappointed as i was about the new show's failure to get picked-up i did have one major casting reservation when the pilot was under production...i thought that marley shelton was too old(30) and too blonde to play victoria.

maybe she would have been good...we'll never know [undb].
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2004, 07:48:39 PM »
i did have one major casting reservation when the pilot was under production...i thought that marley shelton was too old(30) and too blonde to play victoria.

Not sure about her being too old because, as was the case with the '91 DS, Vicki was aged in the WB pilot. (The original Vicki was 20 when DS began - the '91 Vicki was 25 - I'm not sure hold old the WB Vicki was going to be - but perhaps it was even older than 25) However, so far as Shelton being blond goes - and a short haired blond at that(!) - I loved that they were willing to smash the "dream"-governess-with-long-dark-hair stereotype and to go in another direction. But alas...

Offline jtfolden

• View Profile
    • Dark Shadows : Resurrected
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004, 07:21:38 AM »
(The WB deals would certainly seem to put a stake ([wink2]) in those rumors following the failure of the pilot to be picked up which claimed that the WB thought the pilot had been terribly cast. But then, it's often wise not to believe at least half of what you read - particularly when said rumors are unsubstantiated and sources "who choose to remain anonymous" are cited...  ::))

I don't think the quality of the 2004 pilot or it's actors really had much to do with it not being picked up, honestly. If you look at what happened during that time period last Spring, not only did the WB not pick up the new DS but they also dropped the planned Lost in Space remake (which they paid big $$$$$ to do) and canceled Angel for no good reason (It's audience had GROWN since the previous year and was getting ratings higher than Buffy had been getting it's last season). They, also, went against tradition and did not preview any of their new pilots for test audiences, instead making decisions internally - the decisions being to approve a slate of teeny bopper soap operas and reality shows.

The effects of that decision making are being felt this season, as most of the new shows are tanking.
http://www.darkshadows-resurrected.com/ - A Guide To The 1990's Revival Series
http://thebluewhale.darkshadows-resurrected.com - A brand new message board for the discussion of DS, Buffy / Angel, and more!
The Dream Is Alive