Author Topic: Who Would the Collins Family Vote For?  (Read 2890 times)

David

Who Would the Collins Family Vote For?
« on: May 14, 2008, 07:15:19 PM »
Watching the very entertaining Hillary & Barack Show
got me wondering~~
who would residents of Collinwood/Collinsport vote for?
Hillary?
Barack?
McCain?

Cast your ballots, please!
(but no political arguing~~this is for fun.
It's about the political leanings of the DS characters)

David

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Who Would the Collins Family Vote For?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 08:01:28 AM »
It's a pretty deep shade of blue up there in New England, I don't see McCain getting their vote.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 10:11:25 AM »
Umm...blue is Democrat and red is Republican, right?  I always have trouble with this because something inside my head says it should be the other way around, so I always have to think: "Counterintuitive, counterintuitive," and someday I'm going to get it straightened out in my head, and then I'll always have to think: "Intuitive, intuitive."

Anyway: there are pockets of redness (if I have this right) in New England, so I don't think McCain can be counted out among the Collinses.  My first thought was, "Of course Elizabeth would go for Hillary," but then I decided that Liz doesn't necessarily generalize from her own situation to the rest of the world, so I changed my mind.

Just now I suddenly thought of "that place in Brazil", and imagined Liz trying to think of the name Barack and coming up with "that man in the election."

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 12:05:12 AM »
When it comes to presidential elections, Maine has often swung Republican.  [ghost_wink]

I don't know about most of the DS characters, but I definitely see Roger as a life-long Republican. And considering his sexist attitudes when it comes to women in a position of power, I strongly suspect the idea of Hillary Clinton in the White House would horrify him to his very core.

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 01:43:30 AM »
The presidential/political preferences of the members of the Collins family and of the residents of Collinsport have been discussed here before.

Are the Collinses traditional, monied Country Club Republicans or are they affluent/activist Limousine Liberals?   (Quein sabe?  It's hard to tell.)

And, what of Burke Devlin, a poor, local boy, who left town (albeit, unhappily) to eventually become an extremely wealthy and successful businessman?  Was Burke a working class, early life Democrat (or Reagan Democrat?), who, once he acquired great wealth in his thirties, became a fiscal conservative?  It's difficult to say.   

David

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 03:47:36 PM »

You are right on RE: Roger, MB. I'd suspect the old boy is a tad racist too.
Ditto Barnabas & Prof. Stokes.
I see  them all going with McCain.

I can see strong women like Liz, Julia, Carolyn Angelique, & Mrs. Johnson going with Hilary.
Same with blue collar dudes Joe & Willie.

Maggie, being the daughter of an artist, no doubt fancies herself quite the progressive liberal. She's with Obama.
I'd imagine that, had Megan & Philip Todd lived, they'd be with Obama as well.

David

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 10:53:41 PM »
Barnabas I would think would be for McCain. Julia would probobly be for Hillary.

But Barnabas would find it hard to vote. Just think that he would think that people
today are not like Jefferson, Washington, and Adams. Who he might have actually met.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 03:11:02 AM »
Barnabas wouldn't actually be able to vote because he's not a citizen.  [ghost_wink]

Come to think of it, why didn't the Immigration Services ever come after him? Unless he was paying someone off, it's not like he had any way of proving where he supposedly lived in England so that he could get a visa, much less keep extending one.  [ghost_huh]

I know, we're not supposed to think about any of that, but it all suddenly struck me when I realized he's not a citizen...

As for Stokes, I can't say I see him as racist. He's always seemed pretty progressive to me. I mean, how many other people would take a man-made monster into their homes?  [ghost_grin]

David

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 05:41:45 AM »
 [ghost_grin]

And Vicki, BTW, is not eligible to vote this year, having been bumped off in 1796!

David

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 10:47:05 AM »
Oh, come on, surely they don't discriminate against the dead in Collinsport, of all places!

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 08:34:45 PM »
I can see Willie going for Hillary Clinton. I don't know why but I think of the commercial by Jack Nicholson and the movie a Few Good Men saying something about there is something sexy about saluting a woman.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 08:52:38 PM »
Considering the problems the family had with the various Trasks through several generations, if Pat Robertson ran again I don't think they'd vote for him.

Gerard

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 12:50:08 AM »
Oh, come on, surely they don't discriminate against the dead in Collinsport, of all places!

Oh Lydia....thank you so much for this chortle:)

Stokes I think would vote Obama.

Good call David about the Todd's; I can see a big sign on their store-front window!

I think Elizabeth would vote for Hillary and Roger for McCain.

Hmm...just wondering about Mrs. Johnson.....
Patti
What a Woman!

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 02:43:46 AM »
I can see a clean split: Elizabeth voting for McCain, Roger for Hillary, and Carolyn for Obama. Don't know why. I also think, if he was old enough, David would vote for whoever he thought was the weakest candidate so he could overthrow them and take over the world.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 10:49:02 PM »
Roger would vote for McCain, I have no doubt of that. As MB pointed out, Roger had problems with women being in positions of authority. And I think Barnabas would too, him having a 18th-century mindset.

Elizabeth, Carolyn and Julia I think would vote for Hilary. Vicki I'm not so sure about.

I can see Professor Stokes on Obama's side. He does strike me as a man open to process too.