Author Topic: Good ol' Desmond!  (Read 1212 times)

Offline A.I.Collins

• Full Poster
  • Look into those sexy eyes....
    • View Profile
Good ol' Desmond!
« on: November 11, 2003, 06:47:00 AM »
Hi guys!

I have been very impressed with John Karlen's portrayal as Desmond Collins lately.I believe that this is without a doubt-Karlen's best acting throughout the whole series.This is my first time around watching the series all the way through.I am not sure if his character of Kendrick Young is any better, but he sure is doing a good job with the character of Desmond.Not to mention that Desmond is an all-around good guy during this storyline and has done no wrong besides bringing the "head" to Collinwood.

Go JK!...GOOD JOB!
Adra
Dark Shadows...my little ball of sunshine!!!

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:Good ol' Desmond!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2003, 06:42:35 PM »
It's hard to choose which performance of Karlen's is best -- Karl Collins is certainly the quirkiest!  But I tend to like Desmond's character the best over all ... so well done by Mr. Karlen.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2003, 10:03:59 PM »
I find it difficult to decide which part he did best - he was so good in all of them, because he brought such uniqueness and intensity to every character he portrayed.

Gerard

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2003, 01:43:47 AM »
He is such a good actor it is hard to decide which role is the best.  I must admit that I favor Willie Loomis of 1967, William H. Loomis of 1970PT and Kendrick Young(?)1840PT. Not sure of his last name for this role since I saw it such a long time ago.  I've seen a show on TV several times called 'The Handler' with an actor named Joe Panteleon(sp). His expressions and looks really remind me of Karlen. He would be perfect for the remake of Dark Shadows playing Willie.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

IluvBarnabas

Re: Good ol' Desmond!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 04:38:20 AM »
I love Willie, but I positively ADORE Desmond, he's my favorite among JK's characters (with Willie a very close 2nd). Of course John was excellent in all his roles but Desmond to me stood out because as you say he was an all-around great guy, very honest and caring.