Author Topic: More Storyline Speculation  (Read 7285 times)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: More Storyline Speculation
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2005, 12:49:03 AM »
PD--- Thanks--- so, that implies it's something they meant to get back to later, since that's a very odd to detail to drop into his backstory, unless they intended to pursue it later, or unless it was a reference to something in history or literature.    I know nothing about literature involving unicorns, since when fantasy includes unicorns I see that as an indication to run the other way.   Sorry to those who like unicorns.    Just a personal bias that says it's a bit too 'fanciful' for my tastes.

I guess no one knows what they intended to do with this later, since the writers' future intentions are all a matter of rumor, apparently-- from what I've seen on this site, anyway.    But maybe someone knows if all this refers to some bit of mythology or literature, or something.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2005, 01:16:42 AM »
I guess no one knows what they intended to do with this later, since the writers' future intentions are all a matter of rumor, apparently-- from what I've seen on this site, anyway.    But maybe someone knows if all this refers to some bit of mythology or literature, or something.

Count Petofi once told Quentin that the curse of the werewolf could only be cured by swallowing the blood of an unicorn.
No Jesus, no peace. Know jesus ,know peace.

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2005, 01:27:34 AM »
Well, according to what a myth I've heard, drinking unicorn blood can only allow those who should have died to go on living.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2005, 04:38:12 AM »
I like this, we're making progress.... thanks.... so Petofi gains the unicorn, either before or after becoming Wolfman, and comes to love him/her, then has to decide whether to sacrifice her/him to save himself and cure the curse.    Presumably the blood makes his whole person fairly indestructable, including his hand, even when separated.

Anyone know where the Forest of Azhden?? (sp?) is, and what historical etc. significance may have led the writers to make reference to it?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2005, 04:46:05 AM »
Anyone know where the Forest of Azhden?? (sp?) is, and what historical etc. significance may have led the writers to make reference to it?

I've googled Oshden, Ogden, Rushden, Azhden, and Azhdeen. Nothing at all. The closest refers to a Ogden Forest in Utah, but I highly doubt that has any significance to DS.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2005, 05:09:38 AM »
Count Petofi once told Quentin that the curse of the werewolf could only be cured by swallowing the blood of an unicorn.

Whoa, I don't remember that from the series at all.  Does anyone else recall this?  It did, however, come up in Charles Delaware Troll's DS continuation, and I know you've mentioned reading them, Amy Jennings Fan.

The following is from http://members.aol.com/chasdtroll/mainp.html--

#1478 -- David is showing Lori some books on the occult, and explains to her some legendary cures for werewolves. "These books describe some different cures... something about eating this flower after the moon rises.... here's something else about drinking the blood of a unicorn...."

#1502 -- Quentin walks to the bars saying "The legend.... the curse of the werewolf can be ended with swallowing the blood of a unicorn....Petofi told me that once, so long ago...."

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2005, 05:21:13 AM »
then has to decide whether to sacrifice her/him to save himself and cure the curse.    Presumably the blood makes his whole person fairly indestructable, including his hand, even when separated.

Well, this is all speculation, but could make for some fascinating fanfic, I'm sure.  :D

Unfortunately, I don't think fans have ever figured that one reference out.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2005, 06:06:49 AM »
Whoa, I don't remember that from the series at all.  Does anyone else recall this?  It did, however, come up in Charles Delaware Troll's DS continuation, and I know you've mentioned reading them, Amy Jennings Fan.

I also remember reading that in Charles Delaware Troll's continuation, and wondering if it had actually been mentioned in the series.  As I recall, it wasn't killing the unicorn that cured him, but the gypsies actually removing the curse.  I could be wrong since I haven't watched those eps in a few years, but I'm pretty sure.
  If Petofi did mention unicorn blood as a cure for lycanthropy, can anyone provide the episode number?

~Penny Dreadful~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2005, 11:50:50 AM »
Unicorn mythology predates the Christian era.  The most significant power attributed to the Unicorn was the ability to cure poisoning.  In order to catch a Unicorn, it was believed, one need only leave a Virgin girl sitting in the woods, and the Unicorn would come to her, and lay its head in her lap. The sexual symbolism is fairly obvious.

I'm pretty sure the connection of Unicorns and Werewolves was a DS original.... ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2005, 08:45:23 PM »
If Petofi did mention unicorn blood as a cure for lycanthropy, can anyone provide the episode number?

I didn't look in the actual episodes, but I did do a search of RobinV's amazingly detailed Robservations synopses, and the only unicorn references that came up in the episodes appear to be these:

[spoiler]798 - ...

Aristede talks to Victor but Quentin can't hear them.  The fact you killed Julianka has nothing to do with me, says Aristede.  I would not have had that emotional reaction if you had gotten the hand and kept it, says Victor--we should have been out of here by now.  Julianka must have had the hand, Aristede reminds him--why didn't YOU get it from her?  Victor grabs his lapels and shakes him, asking, are you criticizing me?  No, Aristede assures him, never.  See that you don't, warns Victor, infuriated.  I'm not complaining, not at all, says Aristede.  Do you know what it's like to fall into the deepest sleep you've ever known? asks Victor--and the first thing you see upon awakening is blood on your pillow?--you rush to the mirror and what do you see--not that face you love so well, Aristede, but another face, a gift from the unicorn!  Aristede, horrified, begs, "Tell me what to do!"  Again, they converse, but Quentin can't hear.  Aristede protests, I can't talk to Quentin--he'll kill me!  Perhaps that's what I have in mind, says Victor.

...[/spoiler]

[spoiler]801/802 - Quentin holds up Victor's fake hand and presents it back to him.  Don't give it back, warns Magda, he is Count Petofi, demon from hell!  You're a romantic, says Victor--if I really were who you think, would I let you babble on so?  Yes, says Magda, if you did something to me, they would know you are him.  If I were Petofi, says Victor, would I be ashamed of it?  Magda turns to Quentin and says, 100 years ago, he was a werewolf.  Victor laughs.  100 years ago, continues Magda, we cut off his hand as payment for the cure!  Quentin looks at the gloved fake hand.  Fascinating story, says Victor, and true, I've been informed--I do admit to knowing of the strange, sad story of Petofi, the last recorded man to own a unicorn.  Oh, says Magda, you are the only one who could know that.  But you know it, too, points out Victor--the saddest morning in the late Count's life was when he awoke after the might of a full moon to find his unicorn had been killed by a wolf.  "Just a minute, Count Petofi," says Quentin, citing the one thing that convinced him--the saddest morning of the count's life was when he found a unicorn slaughtered.  Werewolves don't remember what they do--I know that, and so do you, from personal experience.  Magda warns Q, don't make him madder.  Your interruptions, says Victor, are intolerable, the cawing of a mad cat--shall I silence you?  Victor bows and says to Quentin, "Count Petofi, sir, at your service."  Quentin gives him back his hand.  "Quentin, he is dead," warns Magda.  A mere conjecture, says Petofi.  He's got to be, says Magda.  What does it matter? asks Q, I've seen ghosts before.  So, you believe her about that, too, says Petofi--how eagerly you believe your own lies, ignoring the truth wherever you can--I'll humor you.  He picks up a letter opener.  You have seen ghosts, you say?  Petofi cuts his face with the letter opener and asks, do ghosts bleed, Mr. Collins?--and you, Madame, have you heard tales around the tribal campfire of ghosts that have blood?--what would a ghost want with a petrified hand?--I've never heard of a gypsy being logical--but try, do try! Urges the Count--only a man would want that hand, says Petofi.  Surely you have some explanation for how long you've lived, comments Quentin.  I'm not required to give it to strangers, says Petofi, all you need know is that I'm determined to have that hand.  We don't have it, says Magda.  You have until morning, warns the Count, I still have some powers left, but would hate to use them--I feel a certain kinship for you, Mr. Collins, you make me remember feelings I'd forgotten for a hundred years--I will be at Collinwood for a while, says Petofi.  Quentin walks behind him and picks up the letter opener.  I think it would be wise for you to decide what you are going to do, advises Petofi.  Quentin holds the letter opener aimed at the burly Count.  Since you're human, says Q, you can also die!--now, how were you cured--tell me, if you want to live.  Petofi smiles broadly.

...[/spoiler]

Offline cool_splash1

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2005, 01:51:15 AM »
One idea I had, in which I ended writing my first fan fiction, was Barnabas meeting up with a slayer [loosely based on the Buffy/Angel shows]

You know I've often wondered about that.  What if Buffy and the gang ended up in Collinwood or Barny etc. ended up in Sunnydale.  I also love the idea of Collinwood being on a Hell Mouth.  I think there was a fan fic like that.  But it sure would explain all of the paranormal activity going on.

Offline cool_splash1

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2005, 01:58:16 AM »
I think it would have been a neat twist for Barnabas and Julia to meet a visitor from the future--perhaps even a descendant of David or Carolyn--who has come back to 1971 to "change history" and save the family.  Knowing from experience that such things are possible, it would be interesting to see whether B and J accept the traveler's story and help her or him to avert the catastrophe, or if they would remain suspicious of the newcomer's identity and motives.

Or maybe a descendant of B&J now that would be a trip.  And maybe not even that far it could be a child they have in the future, confirming yau'll too did the diddy at some point.lol  Oh just imagine some teen for the 80's, 90's or even the new mill.  They don't even have to be teens but young adults (college age) rocker, raver, cyber goth or hell just goth.  Now what would they think of that?  What the hell is that kid wearing?  What the hell kind of language is that?  And what are those small things that ring?lol