Author Topic: Least favorite Roger Davis character?  (Read 2122 times)

IluvBarnabas

Least favorite Roger Davis character?
« on: October 13, 2006, 07:28:25 PM »
I suppose I am opening a can of worms here since Roger and his characters are so despised, but which one do you totally, totally despise among all the rest?

I hated Charles Delaware Tate, for the simple fact he was a spoiled brat and a stupid one at that. [spoiler]I didn't feel sorry for him when Petofi took away his ability to paint. He stole Quentin's portrait just because Amanda loved Quentin and not him and probably would have destroyed it if Petofi hadn't intervened. Which brings another point, did poor old Charlie think he really would have gotten away with it especially since he had to have known Petofi had plans for Quentin? He knew Petofi wanted him to paint Quentin for a reason even if he didn't know what it was. To destroy that painting would bring down not only the wrath of Quentin but Petofi who was far more dangerous.

So Amanda didn't love him, boo-hoo.....destroying the painting may have destroyed Quentin and Amanda's relationship but it wouldn't have brought Amanda running to Tate's side. Probably wouldn't have care, I suspect Tate's feelings were if I can't have her neither will Quentin. Still it was stupid of him to ignore the consecquences he would face from Petofi.[/spoiler]

Wasn't too crazy about Ned Stuart either, though he wasn't on that long. He was so aggresive with Sabrina when he shouldn't have been. He saw the state she was in. Thankfully [spoiler]he was long gone[/spoiler] by the time 1897 was over and the Leviathan story began.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Least favorite Roger Davis character?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 07:35:34 PM »
Roger Davis really is the Odd Case among all the performers.
His acting style was so annoying that it was almost NEVER about the character....just about HIM!!
I pretty much ignored him to the point where I really can't sort out his characters at all anymore... [hall_rolleyes]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 07:43:52 PM »
Ned Stuart wins, hands down.

I thought Dirk Wilkins was a character that did work for what Davis could do on a certain level.  The boots helped.  His thesping really went off the cliff after a certain, uh, major life-change for the character *snrk*.  Fun to watch, though. [spoiler]I remember finding it *really* creepy when Dirk was telling the enthralled Judith to come and claim her "reward" for what she had done--the cheesy fangs, crazed look in the heavily mascaraed eyes, and frogmarching phrasing was just so "out there," EVEN for DS![/spoiler]

G.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 08:00:44 PM »
Ned Stuart wins, hands down.

Yeah, if I have to limit myself to one I'd say Ned, but also agree w/Raineypark, they all sucked because of Davis.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 08:03:05 PM »
Jeff or Peter - whichever one it was who was wildly kissing Vicki while practically ripping her hair out. Not sexy and, in his case, it smacked of hair envy.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 09:02:15 PM »
 [laughing4]  And that would have been Jeff.  [hall2_rolleyes]

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 11:48:18 PM »
I'll have to turn this around a tad and say which character Roger Davis played that I actually liked.  Hands down it was Peter Bradford when we first saw him in 1795.  He was new to the show, the character genuinely seemed to care about Vicki, and wasn't rough. He was pleasant to look at too. ;)  He seemed to have more passion and tenderness than groping the other characters he played along side.  I'm watching the episodes just before 1897 and I just can't stomach Ned Stuart.  The only positive thing I can say about him is he has tenacity when seeking answers to what happened to his sister. BUT I hate how he goes about doing it.  I grew sick of Jeff Clark's constant headaches and groping at Vicki nearly slobbering all over her.  I can't say too much about the others characters except I remember they were played almost identical to the earlier ones.  I just cringled at all the times he was rough with every woman and to tell you the truth, the men too.

[hall2_tongue]
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 03:44:35 AM »
I'm sorry, but I have to say every one of his "characters".  I hated every body.  From his Peter/Jeff to his Ned Stuart, they all made me sick.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 05:59:56 AM »
Oh my freaking God.

I don't know if I can single out JUST one...

But I would have to say Ned Stuart and Jeff Clark rank up there, with Ned winning out over Peter by a slim margin. They were both bossy, annoying jerks. There was no chemistry between Ms. Moltke and Mr. Davis at all. Especially when he returned as Jeff Clark. Their romantic scenes were akward and totally lacking any sort of real passion, unless you count Roger mashing his face on Alexandra's and going wild with her hair. I know as an actor you're supposed to emote, but not THAT much for chrissakes!  [hall2_shocked]

As for Ned I can hardly get through any of his scenes without fast forwarding (which I do not do, but am sorely tempted). Seriously, I don't give a rats ass about him or his damn sister!

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 07:15:22 AM »
Personally, I think the hatred of Roger Davis is way out of proportion on this site. 

Para L. Time

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 07:58:36 AM »
I don't hate Roger Davis at all. Although, I will have to say, as far as I've gotten in viewing, Dirk Wilkins is my least favorite. Vampires DO NOT look good with caterpillar mustaches. Can you imagine feeling that thing tickle your neck as he's biting you? Nas-tee!

I actually like him as Peter Bradford/Jeff Clark. Towards the end of the Jeff Clark storyline, I WAS SO SICK and tired of the non-stop Victoria-shreiking of "Jeff don't go!", "Jeff don't leave me!", "My love is the only thing that will save us!" Ugh! No thanks to Betsy Durkin (I'm sure she's a lovley cat-loving person in real life), she ruined what could have been romantic with the dramatic screaming of every single line.

Actually, the whole storyline of Peter Bradford was botched when Professor Stokes said that Peter took over Jeff's body. Up until that point, it was obvious that Peter was transported to the future when he was hung (just as Victoria was), and had amnesia. What a sorry, sorry conclusion to that storyline.

Ned Stuart was not on long enough to really form an opinion, but he did seem awfully incestuous with his poor sister! I'm up to DVD Collection 15, so I cannot wait to see this Charles Tate incarnation!

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 03:44:01 PM »
I liked him as Peter Bradford.

One fan had a theory that Peter came to the future and took the body of Ned Stuart and that prof. Stokes was wrong in assuming he took the body of a man named Jeff Clark as that was the name Dr. Lang most likely gave to him.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 04:56:46 PM »
I'm not sure exactly which I could say I hated the most. I practically agree with everything everyone has already said, and I agree with what DSBF said about Peter being okay, except for the fact that he was nice to look at because I'm not much for looking at men. lol. Other than that, yes.

But, I can say that I am enternally greatful for the following thing that happen w/Dirk in 1897:

Barnabas: Now you will go back to Collinwood and tell them that you saw nothing here.
Dirk: Oh, thats great! But what am I gonna tell 'em?
Barnabas: (Frid looks like GEEZ EVEN I DON"T SCREW IT UP THIS BAD!!)  THAT YOU SAW NOTHING HERE!!!

That gets me rolling every single time I watch it.

On a side note, I just saw the episode where [spoiler]Quentin threatens Petofi (or Finn-Gibbon as you may have it) with a gun, and Petofi says "You have a taste for the melodrama!"[/spoiler]

That was CLASSIC!! LMAO!    [9122] Me pushing Roger Davis' characters off a cliff! [a1f5]
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 06:19:11 PM »
while ned stuart was certainly irksome he wasn't around long enough to leave a lasting impression.

so of course my vote goes to jeff clark.it was with jeff that mr.davis seemed to have decided that anger was going to be his motivating emotion and then he took that characteristic from role to role and they always seem the same to me.

my impression of this,although i don't know this as fact,is that roger davis must have signed a two year contract.his characters appear from early 1968 to early 1970.as soon as one character gets killed off,like a bad weed,another one pops up.thus he ends up playing two virtually identicle characters scant weeks apart without any explanation as to why these characters look and act exactly alike.

of course his final appearance during the leviathan storyline reveals perhaps the most annoying plot twist ever on the show.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2006, 06:41:36 AM »
I'd have to go with Ned.  I really hated him!!  Dirk wasn't too great, but he fit the story and he had his moments.  Most of the others I didn't mind.  I wasn't wild about any of them, but I didn't hate them.  Ned was horrid.
Josette