Author Topic: Collinwood floor plans  (Read 1090 times)

RachelDrummand

Collinwood floor plans
« on: March 13, 2007, 08:12:38 AM »
Would anyone know where to find the studios concept of Collinwood (e.g. drawing room) and any other rooms that might pertain to the plots? I'd like to find clear drawings of this.

Thanks.
Rachel

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Collinwood floor plans
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 11:56:25 AM »
One of the Dark Shadows Alamanac books (a hard cover from the mid-nineties; I have a copy) has several floor plans of sets, from Collinwood, to the Old House, to the mausoleum, to a few others.  When you look at them, you see how incredibly packed together they were in the studio, literally what appears to be just inches from each other (probably a bit more separated than that, but not by much; a cruise ship bathroom has more space).

Gerard

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 04:05:23 AM »
Gives you an appreciation for what the actors accomplished ...

What I would like to see is a book (Pomegranate Press, are you listening?) of floor plans for Collinwood, the Old House, and all of the other houses on DS - I mean, the houses as we were meant to visualize them - not floor plans of the studio space (though those were great to see) and not floor plans of the real-life buildings (like "Seaview Terrace").  I think there was such a book for "Bewitched" published a few years back.  I used to draw my own floorplans for "Bewitched" and other shows as a kid, though I never tried DS.

I never liked the architectural design for the Old House though in that when you walked through the front door you apparently saw the door to the cellar with its barred windows straight ahead!

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 12:20:56 PM »
Yes, I have that book, Vlad!  It came out in the nineties; the title slips my mind.  The author created floor plans of various homes and establishments as he visualized them from classic TV shows, such as Bewitched, Leave It to Beaver, I Love Lucy, Lost In Space, Gilligan's Island, The Andy Griffith Show, etc.  (regarding the latter, he even had a street map of Mayberry).  It's a fun book.

Gerard

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 01:33:06 AM »
Just in case we ever find unsettled planets and want to start up Sitcom World, sort of like the Nazi planet and gangster planet on Star Trek.  We'll have the floor plans ready.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 04:35:19 AM »
I remember seeing the book in a bookstore but didn't remember that all those other shows were in it, too.  It's funny to learn that there was a floor plan for "I Love Lucy" in that book, because that's the other show I remember drawing a floor plan for.  Now that I think about it, I believe I drew plans for the "Dick Van Dyke" and "Brady Bunch" houses, too.

Let's see, there were a lot of great houses and buildings on DS that it would be great to see floor plans for.  Not to mention a map of Collinwood, Eagle Hill Cemetery, etc.

Just a few places off the top of my head from the early part of the show:

The Collinsport Inn
The Evans Cottage
The Old House
Collinwood
Matthew Morgan's cottage
Dr Lang's House

And from later storylines:

1897:
The Old Mill (Petofi's home)

Leviathan:
The Antique Shop (Leviathan)
Angelique and Schuyler Rumsom's home

1840:
Rose Cottage
Flora Collins' home

Any other favorites?
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 03:11:07 PM »
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS