Author Topic: The "V" word  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
The "V" word
« on: September 30, 2004, 07:00:46 PM »
Apologies if this has been asked and/or covered already, but I find myself wondering. 

I admit I have only seen the post-Barnaba eps thru to the end of the 1795 flashback (and a few beyond that) and a big chunk of the Petofi story fro 1897 and I don't recall ever hearing it used.  I seem to recall Barnabas being called "the way you are" or "monster" or other words/phrases to avoid actually saying it.  Has the "V" word ever been used to refer to Barnabas, or any other of the fanged fiends that haunted Collinwood? :)
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Re: The "V" word
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 07:08:40 PM »
oh and here i thought it was "virgin" but that is a dreaded word on another DS list. . .ha!
Julia99

Offline tripwire

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 07:43:21 PM »
When Barnabas and Magda first meet in 1897, and Madga sees Sandors neck, she points to Barny and cries "Vampire"....There are quite a few times the V word is used in association with Barnys affliction.
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 09:44:05 PM »
[spoiler]When Barnabas dies in 1795, Angelique gets very nervous.  Very very nervous.  Ben asks her what's wrong, and she footles about, and eventually says:  "Have you ever heard the word VAMPIRE, Ben?"  So far as I know, it was the first mention of that word on the show.  I wondered whether DC had a policy to try and avoid it because I know he was aiming for more realism in the original Barnabas story.[/spoiler]

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 12:53:54 AM »
they seem to use the phrases "undead" or "the living dead" alot."vampire" doesn't come up alot at least in the earlier part of b's story(even as victims with bite marks on their necks start popping up left and right).
i want to rewatch the first ep. where julia confronts barnabas with her knowledge of his "condition" and see if the word comes up.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 01:07:40 AM »
I don't know if this is an "urban legend" or not, but I recall hearing that it was the censors who did not allow the use of the V-word until it was finally uttered in the spoiler alert as given by Gothick.  I actually found the forbidden use of it quite intriguing.  It made the entire storyline, set in 1967 (pre-1795/96 flashback) all the more subtle and creepy.

Gerard

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 04:57:48 AM »
they sort of did the same thing with the 1966 laura collins story(which in a way was even stranger).laura told the story of the "pheonix",she was living in "pheonix,az",and showed up in 100 year cycles(just like a "pheonix").but no one ever came out and said that laura was a pheonix.maybe they were trying to make the viewers use their imaginations.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2004, 01:33:49 AM »
Watched ep 466 last night and Dr. Lang also used the V word to Julia when she tried to check him out of the hospital!  ;D
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2004, 03:04:12 AM »
oh and here i thought it was "virgin" but that is a dreaded word on another DS list. . .ha!

Hehehehehehehe....   Well, vampirically-influenced or not, neither B nor J ain't the other 'v' is all I gotta say... ;D

Did that make any sense?  ::)  ;D

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2004, 03:59:18 PM »
Did that make any sense?  ::)  ;D

Yes indeed.  Except poor J seemed to be a second hand (other) v when it came to her hopeless love for B.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2004, 11:37:20 AM »
Except poor J seemed to be a second hand (other) v when it came to her hopeless love for B.

Do you mean...victim?    ;)

I was originally referring to a 'virgin or not' issue brought up a long while ago on another list but - anyway - Yup, I know what she must have felt like living with his obsessive, post-tramatic, set-in-his-''oh please, pleeeeaaaassseee come to me you darling SYT-you''-ways, and a few other old-world tendencies.  >:(
However -sorry, can't help it- I don't think her love for B. was entirely hopeless, considering the way things play out in the series. Julia wore her heart on her sleeve - and one can question why in the hell she fell for him, but--I think that's one area she couldn't completely control. She was a smart cookie...but not perfect by any means...didn't always make the best choices ;), but - who hasn't? The fact that she wasn't perfect, and that she put up with more than she had to while trying to make her small corner of the world a bit better each go-round...not to mention those lovely exotic features...are part of why I like that character so very much. In the end, even though I can understand why it's seen that way - she wasn't really a victim, more like a survivor ::"I will survive" chimes in the background:: lol

But, that's just me. Cooky, obsessive me... ;D  ;)

I now send you back to the original topic at hand...cough.[/i] :-*

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2004, 12:34:55 PM »
I was originally referring to a 'virgin or not' issue brought up a long while ago on another list

Me too...or rather I was referring to your reference to it.  I meant even though Julia had no doubt been around the block a few times (IMO anyway) before she started her career at Collinwood, Barnabas probably made her feel a bit like a reject much of the time.  Since she only had eyes for him she was probably living like a nun just waiting for him to wise up - so that's why I wrote 2nd hand v (virgin).  I never felt they would ever get together due to his addiction to much younger types.  But I can see what you mean about her being a survivor.  And when you consider the way the show ends there does seem to be some possibility that things might change in the future we never got to see.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2004, 04:46:54 AM »
Sorry Castlebee - my bad.    :-[

Sigh...zapped again...     :'(

-Heather (*note to self... don't post things at the butt crack 'o dawn... only causes confusion)

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2004, 08:01:44 AM »
  Has the "V" word ever been used to refer to Barnabas, or any other of the fanged fiends that haunted Collinwood? :)

[spoiler]I also can recall the word being used during the 1970PT storyline when Hoffman was watching Quentin & Julia (who were in RT) talk about how they hoped no one in PT would discover that Barnabas was a vampire.[/spoiler]

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2004, 04:12:07 PM »
i just watched the end of the "dream curse".when julia and willie are trying to figure out what to do they both use the "v" word several times.i was sort of surprised,i kept expecting them to phrase it something like "return to the way he was" or something equally vague.