Author Topic: Pre-Barnabas Josette Sightings  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Pre-Barnabas Josette Sightings
« on: September 23, 2004, 10:37:52 PM »
Josette seems to have got around quite a bit before Barn showed up, especially during the Laura Collins Storyline.  However, having at this point only read brief synopses of the the Pre-Barnabas eps, I am not sure which appearaces involved a physical manifestation.  I read that KLS (uncredited) played Josette in Ep 70, but is it known what actresses played her at other times?
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-Barnabas Josette Sightings
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 11:37:49 PM »
I don't know who played Josette, I think that KLS was her the whole time.  What I remember about 'Josette', was her dancing on the front porch of the Old House.

I think that is sad,yet, a beautiful thing to watch.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 01:09:39 AM »
before the laura story josette makes a few spectral appearances at the old house...and without giving too much away she gets vicki out of quite a mess just before the laura story starts when she becomes a more important(if ghostly)presence.but the character is never seen in the "flesh" until k.l.s. shows up as her in 1795.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 04:50:18 AM »
Josette seems to have got around quite a bit before Barn showed up, especially during the Laura Collins Storyline.  However, having at this point only read brief synopses of the the Pre-Barnabas eps, I am not sure which appearaces involved a physical manifestation.  I read that KLS (uncredited) played Josette in Ep 70, but is it known what actresses played her at other times?

You might have read about Josette the painter (of Laura's portrait) in #149 and Josette the rescuer (by sending David to the aid of Dr. Guthrie) in #184; that was Rosemary McNamara.  After Barnabas showed up, Natalie Norwick stood in as a sobbing spectral Josette a couple of times-- in #515 and #666 (eek).

For Trekkers, Norwick was also in the memorable Star Trek about Kodos the Executioner.  McNamara has appeared on Law & Order, not that I'm obsessed with that show or anything.  ;)

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2004, 06:56:39 PM »
Well, I would have loved to have seen more of Josette's ghost. All of the characters I've watched so far Josette had as good reason as any to be lurking, spinning, playing and just plain spooking it up at Collinwood and the old house. She died for no good purpose hardly knowing what was happening to her and why, having been lied to by both her fiancee and his former mistress (her maid). I've read that people who die before their time or abruptly - haunt, and that certainly was the case with Josette. In life she was also somewhat of a spectre as she was so little developed as a person and was probably even a spectre to herself. For some reason I think Josette is a fascinating character who had great potential whom the writers (for some reason) never took seriously. I also found it hard to believe Josette was such a "passive" ghost when Barnabas summoned her from the grave. That she just wanted to be "at rest". I don't think the writers were doing her justice with all of that.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2004, 11:20:25 PM »
i think that perhaps alot of fans(and barnabas himself)like the "idea" of josette more than the character(as played by k.l.s.)itself.the character of josette was only on the show for about three months during the 1795 story and even there was a rather naive woman whom quickly became the object of a witch's wrath and became a victim rather than a fully realized character.we don't learn much about her.
after the barnabas intro the "human" characters(esp. the women)don't get alot of character development but they sure do become the objects of supernatural shenanigans.the exception to this of course is julia.
josette has an enormous presence on the show considering how long she was actually at collinwood(in life).

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2004, 07:42:17 PM »
i think that perhaps alot of fans(and barnabas himself)like the "idea" of josette more than the character(as played by k.l.s.)itself

I would love to debate the pros and cons of KLS's performance of Josette but ...I agree there is some truth to your comment. There is something fundamentally interesting in a young woman who had everything most people would want - looks, youth, wealth, status, caring parents etc. etc. flinging herself over a cliff ("widows hill") to escape her dead fiancee who had become a vampire and meant to turn her into one - with Angelique looming in the background. I actually wondered why Josette did it? Surely it must have dawned to her that something was amiss with Barnabas and that SOMETHING was happening to her also. Even the writers' negilgence cannot make me believe Josette was that naive. What fascinates me about Josette is her lost life, what she could have been, and what was stolen from her. One of the most revealing comments Josette made (to Angelique) was that she believed in marrying Barnabas and living in Collinwood she would start "living". I find it interesting that even as a spoiled petted and adored only child who had everything to give her happiness was - not "living". I think Josette barely tapped into her own vitality and possibilities. That's why I feel, as a ghost and perhaps realizing this, she might created havoc, mischief and let her presence and persona finally be known and taken seriously.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2004, 08:23:43 PM »
to clarify i hope it didn't sound like i was being critical of k.l.s.'s performance of josette which i really liked.i just meant that the writers never fully "fleshed her out" as a real live woman.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2004, 09:28:10 PM »
One of the most revealing comments Josette made (to Angelique) was that she believed in marrying Barnabas and living in Collinwood she would start "living". I find it interesting that even as a spoiled petted and adored only child who had everything to give her happiness was - not "living".

Any woman of that time knew that she wouldn't be "living" her life until she was married and, better yet, a mother.  Anything less meant being relegated to perpetual servitude and a non-adult status in whatever household she inhabited.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2004, 11:29:39 PM »
to clarify i hope it didn't sound like i was being critical of k.l.s.'s performance of josette which i really liked.i just meant that the writers never fully "fleshed her out" as a real live woman.

I don't personally care if you liked her performance or not. You should say how you feel (within limits as this board is of course monitored). I think KLS was uneven and almost housewifey and ordinary when she was trying to act adult Josette. Her earlier scenes as insecure Josette were my favorites.

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2004, 11:31:40 PM »
Any woman of that time knew that she wouldn't be "living" her life until she was married and, better yet, a mother.  Anything less meant being relegated to perpetual servitude and a non-adult status in whatever household she inhabited

I agree but wonder if this was the writers intention or if they meant it more in a personal sense for Josette.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2004, 12:14:35 AM »
Oh, I think it was absolutely the intention of the writers.

I don't picture them sitting around discussing Josette's interior musings about her place in the world or what her life accomplishments might be.

I see them writing that line simply because it's so obvious, given Josette's status in an historical context, and in the storyline.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2004, 01:09:38 AM »

I don't personally care if you liked her performance or not. You should say how you feel (within limits as this board is of course monitored). I think KLS was uneven and almost housewifey and ordinary when she was trying to act adult Josette. Her earlier scenes as insecure Josette were my favorites.
that was strangely rude stefan.i just didn't want it to seem like i was insulting an actress alot of people on this board really like.

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2004, 01:57:41 AM »
that was strangely rude stefan.i just didn't want it to seem like i was insulting an actress alot of people on this board really like.

I like KLS very much too, in fact Josette is my favorite female character. It could be that this board is too tame for me as people become easily offended at debate.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2004, 03:46:27 AM »
Quote from: stefan
It could be that this board is too tame for me as people become easily offended at debate.

With all due respect, stefan, you did tell him that he should say how he felt.  But to tell you the truth, I thought he might be taken aback by it, as I might be in RL if someone were to start addressing me with "I personally don't care if you... or not," but I didn't remove it because I was pretty sure it was NOT your intention to be rude.  It's an unfortunate fact that sometimes we say things that aren't interpreted the way we intended.  :-