Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1188  (Read 836 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1188
« on: April 06, 2011, 08:38:34 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1188
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 09:31:55 PM »
Gabriel flings the PT Room doors open wide, unmindful of his leg situation being found out.   Looks as if Gabriel's going to get that increase in allowance from Gerard (for keeping Edith away from him)!   Tad has lost his inheritance now that he's not living at Collinwood, that's the way it was supposed to work... 
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 08:10:41 AM »
Tad has lost his inheritance now that he's not living at Collinwood, that's the way it was supposed to work...
My impression was that Tad was just visiting in Boston and would not lose his inheritance if he came back.  I'm not sure that was clear when the will was read, but was it really expected that Tad should not sleep even one night away from Collinwood until his 21st birthday?

Bravo, Gabriel, for telling Samantha about Gerard and Edith!  Of course Gerard is saying it was all on Edith's side, and that may well be true, but I don't think that was stopping him from enjoying her favors.  This appears to be one extra girl too many for Samantha: tonight she didn't end by wishing she didn't love Gerard.  Instead she just looked as though she had gotten that wish.  But it could be that Gerard, if he hadn't had other matters on his mind, could have talked her around again.  I keep thinking that Gerard (with Judah or without) and Samantha fit very well together - much better than Gerard and Daphne do.

When we first saw the parallel time room in 1970, we kept seeing people in that room whom we had seen in their our-time personae in the same episode, to emphasize that fact that this was a different world.  We don't have that need now, so today we saw only parallel time Flora and not our-time Flora, and Stella, a character whose counterpart we have not seen in our time.  I love our-time Fluttery Flora dearly, but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed seeing Joan Bennett's parallel time Firm Flora.  And by the way, did anybody ever think of naming Stella the solicitous secretary Rachel Drummond instead?  Because that's who she reminds me of.

I like the idea of Gabriel fleeing into parallel time to escape the law, but if he's planning to take our-time money into it, extracted from Gerard, he might run into some problems.  For all he knows at this point, 1841 parallel time Maine belongs to Great Britain, or even to France.  And even if it doesn't, paper money was much more bank-dependent back in 1840, and the parallel time banks might well be different from the our-time banks.   Gabriel could convert it into gold or silver, but as yet he doesn't even know if gold and silver are valued in parallel time.  Still, the thought of discovering a whole new world, assuming one has enough money to make the discovery process pleasant, sounds like fun.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 03:06:37 PM »
My goodness, Gabriel does seem to enjoy even the prospect of strangling a new victim, doesn't he? But I have to admit I never considered the political/financial ramifications of PT 1840!  [snow_smiley]

I once read somewhere that Joan Bennett said that "our" scatterbrained 1840 Flora Collins was her favorite character, but I also am glad to see that PT Flora is more like our familiar matriarch.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 05:40:10 PM »
I'm not sure that was clear when the will was read, but was it really expected that Tad should not sleep even one night away from Collinwood until his 21st birthday?

The restriction may have been that restricting, considering how Sam bristled at it, at the time.  I thought it was something more inbetween though, where any extended period of time spent elsewhere might be enough to break the will.   It would at least be a grey area that would give Gerard an unnecessary and avoidable opportunity to challenge Tad's status.

And by the way, did anybody ever think of naming Stella the solicitous secretary Rachel Drummond instead?  Because that's who she reminds me of.

Yes!

...paper money was much more bank-dependent back in 1840, and the parallel time banks might well be different from the our-time banks.

My thought was simpler:  the designs and portraits on the money are probably different, and it would probably not look at all like valid money to anyone in PT.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor