Author Topic: OT -- DS Festival's Peter Mac in "Judy and Me"  (Read 1288 times)

Selby_D._Pearson

OT -- DS Festival's Peter Mac in "Judy and Me"
« on: November 02, 2008, 09:45:57 AM »
Last Saturday, my friend and I attended a NYC showing of the touching "Judy and Me". The play is a fictionalized depiction of our own Peter Mac's troubled adolescent life as a closeted gay teen (named "Anthony" in the play) and his ultimate liberation with the support of friends, family and, most especially, guardian angel-like encouragement and inspiration from the iconic Judy Garland. Peter's play is at times very funny, but always poignant and thought provoking. The small cast was spot-on terrific and, with the telling of the story, pulled many in the audience out of themselves and sent them back to their own teen years where they could strongly identify with Anthony and his "Over-the-Rainbow" coping mechanisms. (My friend, who is about 12 years older than Peter, told me he grew up in a very similar situation and that Judy Garland and "The Wizard of Oz" were a strong inspiration for him in his formative years.) For me, the play was especially moving because I knew Peter when he was going through this part of his life but never realized how difficult a time he was having. Part of the play's message, I think, is for friends to always be attuned to each other and to be willing to share their feelings without the fear of indifference or rejection. After all, so many of us, gay and straight, have a great love for the timeless film "The Wizard of Oz". Dorothy's deep and unquestioning friendship with such diverse characters as a lion, a tin man, and a scarecrow is never affected by the extreme differences between them.

If you enjoy a good story or if you love the music of Judy Garland, I urge you to take a trip to New York and see this show, as soon as you can! It's showing at the St. Luke's Theater on W. 46th Street. For info go to www.JudyandMe.com

SDP  [hall2_smiley]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Re: DS Festival's Peter Mac in "Judy and Me"
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 11:49:19 PM »
SDP, that's as good a review as I have seen in the trades about Peter's (and John) play.  He's really done quite a job with the development of the show over the years.  Will McKinley (known as Billy McKinley in fandom years ago) is an artis writer and will be writing a review of the show sometime soon.  He saw it in previews.

Nancy

Selby_D._Pearson

Re: OT -- DS Festival's Peter Mac in "Judy and Me"
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 08:35:59 AM »
Thanks, Nancy! I'd love to see the show again but don't think I can away from work for another long weekend at this time of year.

I saw Billy McKinley several years ago in Brooklyn. It was a kick seeing him! When he writes his review, can you post a link here or let us know where we can read it?

Thanks!

SDP  [hall2_wink]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 05:57:35 PM »
this is starting to be quite off-topic but i thought that this might be of interest to some here.

the other evening i went to see the 'cabaret' show of the last surviving member of andy warhol's transvestite trinity holly woodlawn.it was a bit as they say "tradge" but whatever.

anyways at some point two drag queens dressed as jackie curtis and candy darling joined holly onstage for a rendition of 'somewhere over the rainbow'...it was quite a trip.

this was just described to me as being "post-post-modern" and it so was!

p.s. i just read in the 'new york blade'(the gay newspaper)about some unfortunate incidents at this play.i was sorry to hear about that.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 06:10:14 PM »
Maybe readers can respond to those "quite off-topic" comments in PM, please?

i just read in the 'new york blade'(the gay newspaper)about some unfortunate incidents at this play.i was sorry to hear about that.

OMG  http://www.nyblade.com/2008/10-24/news/localnews/1244JudyHate.cfm

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 06:37:31 PM »
Yes, I will post a link to the review when Will writes it.  He will probably come to the fest next summer if he is not working out of town.

Nancy

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Collinsport Player Peter Mac's Judy and Me Review
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 07:42:24 PM »
I hope I am doing this right - I want to put this link up. It's one of the reviews written about Collinsport Player Peter Mac's Off-Broadway show "Judy and Me" which is doing quite well.

http://www.gaycitynews.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=20196963&BRD=2729&PAG=461&dept_id=569330&rfi=6

One of the things that makes this particular review so interesting is that it is written by Will McKinley, who was known as Billy McKinley for several years in DS fandom.  He was also a regular player with the Collinsport Players as a teenager.

Peter started with the Collinsport Players when he was a teenager.  Will went on to do stand up comedy in New York City and teaches stand-up comedy techniques to young students.  Now Will is very active writing for the arts and reviews such as this for several papers in NYC. 

Cool, eh?

nancy

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 05:08:22 AM »
I saw this wonderful show this summer during it run at the Producer's theatre and have tickets to see it Dec 7 during my weekend in nYC. this play speaks to more than just "Gay Issues". It speaks for anyone who grew up different, the wrong religion, the wrong size, the wrong color.

Keep up the good work
LdyAnne

Offline mspeel007

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 03:45:54 AM »
I would LOVE to see it!!! I wish I lived closer to NY!!!!! Will it be playing next Aug.?? ?? ? I would definately make a special trip to see it!!!!
And in the end...the love you take..is equal to the love you make.