Author Topic: Discuss: '91 Series - Ep #07  (Read 2421 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Discuss: '91 Series - Ep #07
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 06:37:57 AM »
I am so behind because of my ankle sprain...but it is much better.  I hope to post my reviews in the next few days.  I have really missed the boards! :)  Thanks for the previews and two versions MB!

If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 02:00:15 AM »
i'm quite behind and i'm trying to catch up...

here we are in 1790.i'm with those who found this development to be a bit rushed.i was just getting used to the "present time" characters and now we have a whole set of new ones.why do i get the feeling that most of them will receive the skimpy character development that their present time counterparts got?

it's a good thing that vicki had had the happenstance to have put on a long,rather sober looking dress the day of the seance.can you imagine if she showed up in a mini.however once she became governess she should have pinned her hair up.,she might have attracted less negative attention more modestly tressed.

it's nice to see all of those 1991 mulletts being so artfully worked into 1970 period ponytails.

so here peter bradford looks like joe haskell.what are the implications of that in wonder?

the scene with millicent's arrival was incongruously kooky for the tone of rest of the series.
why is she such a bitch?and why is her luggage so old and beat up?wouldn't it have been "new" in 1970?

sweet lord adrian paul is hot!
his scene with barnabas and joe is meant to illustrate how "close" they all are so we know that this is all going to go to hell in a handbasket don't we?

i thought that willie loomis was the yuckiest but here we meet reverend trask.i think he is supposed to seem "scary" but he's just gross and stupid and camp.the character is way schlockier than the tone that the series has otherwise tried to set for itself.

back in the here and now elizabeth is on "guard duty" for the sick and sleeping phillis wick...so it goes without saying that she will sit reading a book until she dozes off upright in a chair while her charge takes off...did these people learn nothing from daphne?

angelique had put ben loomis under her mo-jo.like his present time counterpart ben is unnecessarily repugnant but whatever.

we finish with josette's big,soapy "reveal" and sure as shoot she looks just like vicki!this cannot forebode well for either of them.

sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2008, 07:19:46 AM »
Well I am for one OVER the flying pants. I didn't even mean to click on it. It was annoying me and getting in my way when I was trying to click on this thread.  OH WELL!   [hall2_rolleyes] Now I have all kinds of positive points! BLAH!  I didn't even know about this game.  OH WELL.  No big deal, lesson learned.  I will not be clicking on any of them anymore. BITTER party of one right here! LOL

Onto the review.....

Love the opening theme music, per usual.  I love the echo effect that they put on Joanna Going’s voice.  It really adds an ominous and mysterious sound! I love the foggy mist as Victoria walks up the steps toward The Old House. It's almost so heavy at first I didn't realize where she was (when I was a young lad)  Little Joseph Gordon Levitt does well for a child with his little English accent!   CUTE!  Ben Cross looks so handsome in all the trappings of the 1790S clothes. 

Again I cannot praise Robert Cobert enough for his beautiful score for Dark Shadows!  I wish it would be released on CD!  I doubt that will every happen unless Johnny's movie takes off and even then it probably will not be released. Time will tell..

I have to admit if I was in Victoria's shoes I probably would make some of the mistakes that she has so far.  Imagine it really happening to you.  I actually have a confession. When I first became so immersed in DS I would day dream, and night dream about Time Travelling.  I became a bit obsessed with it for a while, but like most kids I finally realized it wasn't gonna happen! LOL  I love to hate Abigail who is deliciously portrayed by the wonderful Julianna McCarthy.  I have her signature on My Scrapbook Memories of Dark Shadows and I will always treasure it.  I also have Micheal Cavanaugh’s.  I would just die if I ever got Miss Steele’s!

I know some people are a bit disillusioned with the accents however; I have to give props to the actors and production team for trying it.  They may not be perfect but at least they tried to authenticate the series as much as possible.  I hate when there is a show with a character who is foreign and they have no accent.  Now that annoys me.  To each his own though.

I love Barbara Steele’s portrayal of Natalie right off.  However, I am sure that comes as NO surprise to everyone on this board! LOL I love the necklace grabbing tick she inserted into her characterization of Natalie Du Pres’!

Joanna is really good in her emotional scenes at the unfinished Collinwood!!  She is an actress who should be working more or even have a lead in a show.  She is phenomenal in my opinion.  Maybe she is happy just doing one shot starring roles and being a wife to her husband. Finally Victoria doesn't call a counterpart by their present day name.  She is starting (I think) to realize this is real.  GOOD GIRL!   I think that MTW does a good job of making a significant difference in his characters!! And he looks lovely in those tight pants!   Nice ass MTW! ;)

I zoomed in on Victoria's recommendation note and it was signed Peter Bradford and I can't understand why?  Wasn't it supposed to be a note from her previous employer??  Thirty dollars a year, my mind cannot even begin to conceive that sum for a year's pay!  I enjoyed this funny scene with Joshua, not something viewers of Dark Shadows are privy too in most cases!

“Is there anything you wish to tell me?” Barnabas “I wouldn't know where to begin Joanna delivered that line  in almost a lighthearted way that made me laugh. For real Victoria! 

It's kind of odd to see stars without perfectly WHITE teeth.  Today that is all we see.  Kind of like the smoking thing. 

When Angelique brings Victoria the clothes do you think she was suggesting to Victoria that she was gonna be getting busy with one of the other servants or herself?? 

I like the scene with the three friends, Jeremiah, Barnabas and Peter.  I also love the lighthearted scene with Cousin Millicent.  So is she their cousin?  Or was it custom to call someone you were betrothed to cousin?  Or did people marry cousins more commonly in those days?  That has always confused me!  I love how the production paid attention to edict.  The gentleman with their right hands behind their back as they are greeting Millicent!  Oh the days of chivalry!  I wish there were more men like this in the world!  Sigh!!

I like Abigail's Madonna gloves! History (in fashion) repeats itself for sure!   Roy Thinnes is a Tour De Force playing Rev Trask.  He is having a ball you can tell.  I love to hate him as well. Abigail's quotes my favorite line from the entire series, Tumble dry, cool iron, PERMANENT PRESS!!!!!” I HOWEL every time!

Could someone please tell me what the hell Natalie says before she leaves the room after Victoria is grilled again.  She says, BLA BLAH BLAH, au voir and leaves!

I love that we get glimpses of present day Collinwood. 

I LOVE the scene where Angelique bewitches Ben.  BEST Angelique scene so far!!  Great incantation!

I love the cliffhanger with Victoria coming face to face with herself.  I loved this show because up until this point in my life I had never really seen a show use time travel.  I became even more hooked with this episode!

A-
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2008, 07:31:03 AM »
I don't want to seem like a spoiled sport.  I just didn't know of this game and wish I had of.  I just want to let the mods and everyone know I am OVER it now.   I will get my negative points back to where they should be~~~HOPEFULLY!  I will be here more often now that my ankle has finally healed.  HALLELUJAH!  There he comes again with his tempting CROTCH!  DAMN YOU LT. FORBES!  LOL

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 05:17:58 AM »
Could someone please tell me what the hell Natalie says before she leaves the room after Victoria is grilled again.  She says, BLA BLAH BLAH, au voir and leaves!

I cannot understand her at all and the french is not in caps! MORE PICS! ENJOY!! 

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 06:01:05 AM »
A few more! :)  BTW...the phrase Natalie says is when she is in her peach outfit with the hat.  Evil to him??..blah blah! There is a pic below! I cannot understand that bit of dialouge and it has drove me crazy for 17 years!  Anyone have the script?? BTW...the Jeremiah pics are for you MSCBRYK! ;)

Hopefully sometime, someone will answer the various questions I threw out in my post!  :) Thanks guys, feels good to be back and more active on the boards!

RachelDrummand

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 07:42:51 AM »
I think I can help you with what Natalie says... "Evil to him who evil think..." Now the beginning part...that was french and she said it too fast for me to translate. My french is soooo rusty.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2008, 07:54:04 AM »
Thank you so much.  I will never forget you dear cuz Rachel Drummond.  Here are my last set of pics.  I have tried this time to edit my reviews and not get too carried away with my picture taking.   [hall2_grin]

RachelDrummand

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2008, 08:16:56 AM »
Twas no trouble at all! And thank you for all the lovely pictures. Meanwhile I'm stick cracking up about the little prop error...since when was Peter Bradford Victoria's "employer" lol!!!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2008, 08:44:30 AM »
Oh, was it "Honi soit qui mal y pense"?  That's the motto of the Order of the Garter.

RachelDrummand

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2008, 09:12:54 AM »
AHA!!! Yes, yes it was...and that would make sense then that she would say the french and then say the English translation for it. :D

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2008, 06:04:07 PM »
YAY! Thanks LYDIA!  A 17 year annoyance has finally been ended!  I am going to learn it and use it! :) LOL [hall2_grin]

RachelDrummand

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2008, 06:14:35 PM »
BTW, I have a ton of DS revival soundclips if anyone is interested. I gave them to John, owner of the DS revival site but he hasn't done anything with that yet. Also I already mentioned this in "Current Announcements" but since we're talking about the revival here, I have set up a revival rpg board and if anyone is interested, let me all. All the roles are available EXCEPT for Victoria and Josette.

~Rachel