Author Topic: This Old House  (Read 4432 times)

Offline AllenCollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: This Old House
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2002, 10:00:10 PM »
A hard choice but I would have to go with the new/big house.
Linda and I were watching DS the other day, (courtesy of MPI we are up to 3/69 so I wont go into the plot because I dont want to be a spoiler) and there was an exterior view of Collinwood showing the tower elevation. I asked Linda wouldnt it be cool to live in Collinwood and have the tower room as the master bedroom? I actually found my self planning an interior fitout in my head to turn the tower into the best master bedroom ever.

Visualization is a beautiful thing.

B
Do you ever feel like lifes a tuxedo and your the pair of brown shoes? - George Gobel

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2002, 10:29:17 PM »
AllenCollins, did you know that the upper floor of the tower room is now a bedroom?-- Actually, it's a dorm room, with a pair of bunk beds to sleep 4 students.  When I saw it after last year's Fest, it also contained 4 dressers and a couple of desks, plus a closet had been added.  I had no idea it was that roomy (as a storage room it didn't seem to be) but it seems the layout you've visualized would probably work just fine in there.

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2002, 11:53:09 PM »
I would go with the Old House.  And yes, I'd want it completely outfitted with all the latest conveniences, including a strong lock on the front door and windows!

Offline AllenCollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2002, 01:01:36 AM »
Midnite,
This is one of the advantages of doing construction work for a living, visualization. The idea of a round room as a master bedroom gets the creative juices flowing. Besides you are at the, "top of the mountain" king, (or queen) of all you survey.

It doesnt get much better than that.

Thanks for the response.

B
Do you ever feel like lifes a tuxedo and your the pair of brown shoes? - George Gobel

Offline mfmdpt

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2002, 02:04:06 AM »
Besides you are at the, "top of the mountain" king, (or queen) of all you survey.

Well, there's actually one big drawback to this tower room, Allen. You see, the windows (which are probably only 3 feet long) are located just below what has to be an 11-12 foot ceiling, so all you can actually survey is the sky. :(

Midnite posted a few photos of the room on the most recent VN board. If you ask her nicely, maybe she'll be kind enough to post them again here. ;)
"I give in to sin because you have to make this life livable." - Depeche Mode (Strangelove)

Offline AllenCollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2002, 02:14:04 AM »
mfmdpt,
Every problem is a challenge, and every challenge an opprotunity.

The answer: Reframe larger windows and do dormers. Costly, yes but in planning and visualizing anything is possible. But we there are aestechtic limitations if we want to qualify for those, "Historic Tax Credits" for rennovations and reutilization of a historic building.

B

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2002, 07:07:16 AM »
Or just knock a bunch of holes in the walls for that rustic, embattled look.

--Mark

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2002, 08:02:59 AM »
Sigh.....I knew this was going to happen as soon as I saw Mark Rainey's name.  

And no, I wouldn't mind sharing the Evans Cottage...we could set it up kind of like a time share.....

I'll have to get in on the time-share for the Evans' Cottage, but not due to the architecture! It's another 'build'-ing I am interested in![evilg]

and re: the 'name-game' of the rainey's, everytime I read 'kuaynin', I think of Illya!

Lord of the Ringo's
I am NOT a number
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2002, 03:23:23 AM »

Since it would be unthinkable for the future lady of the house to be placed in a windowless room, I am going to assume that the windows are supposed to be real

I'm sure you're right about that, Luciaphil (i.e., that Josette's bedroom must have windows); however, I thought that there were windows on the wall to our (viewers') right, on either side of the bed's headboard, perhaps?  It's also possible that there are windows on the "fourth" wall (i.e., the imaginary wall through which we, the audience, views the set/stage).

Any thoughts on that vertical mail chute outside the bedroom designated for Jeremiah at the Great House?  It looked like the type you see in office buildings (though wooden, not glass).

Third, in another thread I mentioned that I COULD see a broad portico, pillars (and, presumably, steps), just outside the door of the Old House.  Eons ago, it was thought that these had "disappeared" after they stopped using the video location footage that was used earlier on in the series.

:D  :D   :D  :D
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995