Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1045  (Read 1890 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1045
« on: July 30, 2010, 08:02:43 PM »
Robservations #1045

(Interestingly, we're almost exactly where the Sci-Fi Channel was at this time back in '03.)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #1045
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 10:41:02 AM »
I find Will's death shockingly violent because I can't believe Will's body ended up as bloodless as we saw.  "Blap!  Teeth, hair, and eyeballs all over the pavement," to quote somebody or other, is how it should have been.  When somebody takes a dive off of Widows Hill, there the water to clean up the mess, but who would wield the mop below the Tower?

They really ought to have thrown a bucket of water-soluble red paint on John Karlen as he raced from the Tower set to the terrace set, but I suppose Ohrbach's might have complained.  And as it was, there was an opportunity for the writers to heighten Angelique's distrust of Julia.  If there had been a pool of blood under Will, Julia probably wouldn't have been as eager to stick her hand under his neck, and anyway, it wouldn't have been necessary.

I'm troubled by Angelique's behavior towards the woman whom she believes to be Hoffman.  Julia Hoffman has been her friend and ally for years, and but Angelique is very quick to doubt her, and very cruel and cutting in her doubts.  If Daniel turned against Angelique, how would Angelique respond?

Julia used to be good at telling lies, and now she's dreadful at it.  It's the price one pays for becoming one of the good guys - but the price is a pretty steep one, I think!

Offline michaelhacketttodd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #1045 / was Re: Episode #0884
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 12:49:56 PM »
Daytime Television of 1970 would have never allowed such a graphic death.  Dan Curtis must have loved making House of Dark Shadows because he did not have to worry about censors.  He could make scenes as bloody and gory as he liked.   [ghost_tongue2]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 03:16:10 PM »
6/26/70
I think John Karlen looks sexy as hell in this episode! YUM!  Sorry Quentin…..;)

Well Angelique was a regular slut wasn't she?  

It's quite odd to see electricity in the Old House!  “Will Loomis is in some kind of trouble!”  At the moment I cannot remember  if we have seen Barnabas exhibit this power before?

Great shot of Karlen in front of those stained windows.  I love that shot and have a great screencapture! John is such an amazing actor and clearly shows his chops in these scenes.  

I love the odd angles that the production team started playing with during the end of the run of DS.  Very cool!
Did anyone see anything pass in front of the camera as Will fell to his death?  It seemed like something did,  what I don't know!  Another cool shot of Will dead at the bottom of the window.  

I disagree with Lydia on Julia's lying skills.  I think she is great  under the circumstances but then again she has had a lot of practice and well we all know Julia can hardly do wrong in my eyes. LOL   [ghost_cheesy] I do, however, wish we had seen a more violent death with the blood or possible contorted body or something just disturbing.

I wish I could write reviews like Lydia and Magnus but I seem to be just a commentator.  I guess we all bring something to the table though.  [ghost_undecided]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 05:34:26 PM »
I guess we all bring something to the table though.  [ghost_undecided]

Absolutely!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 11:54:53 PM »
Thanks very much Taeylor; I always like your remarks.   Anyway, mine are often just lists of a few oddball moments...

Oh no, bad thing coming.... very good DS moment, Will dying, though, the position he was forced into.   Good thing the gold afghan was in the Tower Room to administer last rites or something.   Who was sleeping there?   Will dies with a bad haircut, possibly the most tragic aspect.   Anyway, this scene revives "my" DS.  As for gore, Lydia, this might be three stories up, and I have no experience of this, I've never even watched those gore horror movies, but is that high enough for the pizza effect?

So does A only have power over men who are "responsive" to her?   She'd know everyone's secrets otherwise.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 11:59:58 PM »
PS--  End credits-- Either John Karlen had better things to do than lying there, or Ang and Julia are great at whisking away bodies fast, or Will's all better now!  Hooray!!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 12:16:23 AM »
michaelhacketttodd-- Welcome!   I should let you know that this "Caption This!" section of the board is for writing funny captions to go with pictures from DS.    The comments on episodes are to be found in the "Current Talk" section.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 04:55:04 AM »
Thanks, Magnus.  I thought the response may have been meant for the WP topic started yesterday that dealt with [spoiler]Will's death.[/spoiler] Waiting to hear back.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 06:53:13 PM »
Will dies with a bad haircut, possibly the most tragic aspect.

That was considered very trendy. So much so that Karlen wears his hair that way in Daughters of Darkness, which he went off to Europe to film soon afterward (which is why we don't see Willie for a while once the story shifts back to 1970RT).

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 12:52:44 AM »
I think his hair looks great!

I had planned on commenting on this particular episode when it came along, but I have been watching early DS. Blasphemy, Trask might call it. I'm a heathen. What can I say?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 02:27:51 AM »
Barnabas can sense Will is in trouble.
B: “I can feel the vibrations of his fear.”
Will is vibrating, all right.

There are times when the writers lost sight of Barn’s vampire abilities, I think. They seemed to focus more on Barnabas’ next love affair and his inexhaustible objective to save the family Collins.

I realize Julia is trying to maintain her cover, but she’s a little too indifferent about Will having just fallen to his death here, dontcha think?

Very nice performance from JK (but, of course). I thought Will was a great character.

This whole thing with Roxanne… I don’t know. I’m not exactly moved to tune in.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 02:49:02 AM »
That was considered very trendy. So much so that Karlen wears his hair that way in Daughters of Darkness, which he went off to Europe to film soon afterward (which is why we don't see Willie for a while once the story shifts back to 1970RT).

Again with the cool background data, MB, thanks!   But I hate "trendy"!  I did in 1970 too!   A great thing about the end of the 60s/early 70s was, though, the fact that the cool people left "fashion" in droves...  The early 70s are my favorite period for many reasons including clothes, but usually not the mainstream stuff.   Am I rambling?   I could be.

I think his hair looks great!

I had planned on commenting on this particular episode when it came along, but I have been watching early DS. Blasphemy, Trask might call it. I'm a heathen. What can I say?

We have differed before on Will's hair, Janet, early on, and we took different sides.   This is some sort of mind game, ain't it?   The length is fine for me, some odd thing was done to it, though, I don't know...

Watching early DS?  Me too!  for the first time!   I am wallowing in my own blasphemy.