Author Topic: NODS  (Read 6135 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:NODS
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2003, 09:21:12 PM »
I think I found the "piano scene."  I found a sequence that is a flashback to 1810 (and Lara wears the dress from the photo on the cover of the DS Music book--darn, am I sorry I never purchased that book!)

Is the DS Music Book OOP now? That's a shame for fans who might have missed it.  :(  But here's a scan of the beautiful shot from this scene that was used on its cover:

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2003, 09:28:49 PM »
the whole opening intro goes on waaaay too long for me ..  .the drive up the house. . just cut to it  . ..could've saved like 3 minutes there.

I'm pretty certain that was DC's homage (yeah, that's the word  ;)) to the opening of Alfred Hitchcock's Rebecca. You can't expect that DC would have cut, or even trimmed his homage, can you?

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2003, 10:25:15 PM »
I certainly wouldn't. It's one of my favorite parts of the film. Moody, evocative and somehow the perfect way to start the story.

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2003, 11:03:41 PM »
the whole opening intro goes on waaaay too long for me ..  .the drive up the house. . just cut to it  . ..could've saved like 3 minutes there.

Not for me, either. One of the main strengths of NoDS in its current form is the strong atmosphere it evokes, and a large part of this is having so much of the character of Lyndhurst show through. The photography, the gray moodiness of the setting.... all this sets up perfectly the events that are to come. DS's setting, be it show or movies, is very important to its overall flavor; to me, every bit as important as a character itself.[/color]

--Mark[/b][/color]

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2003, 09:54:26 AM »
Is the DS Music Book OOP now? That's a shame for fans who might have missed it.  :(  But here's a scan of the beautiful shot from this scene that was used on its cover:

I just purchased this book at this year's festival, and you're right MB, it's a beautiful picture.  Thanks for posting it.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

IluvBarnabas

Re: NODS
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2006, 03:42:25 AM »
I loved House of Dark Shadows, so I had high expectations for Night of Dark Shadows (even without my beloved Barnabas!) Unfortunately I just couldn't get into the story of NODS. Can't put my finger on it, but the movie just left me cold (and not in a good, spooky way).

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2006, 04:24:08 AM »
Funny, I have the exact opposite reactions to the films. I LOVE NoDS, but hoDS leaves me cold - mostly because it completely sacrifices character development in favor of blood and gore. Not that I dislike blood and gore. Far from it. But it's far more effective when one actually cares about the characters. And who could possibly care much about characters when one knows so little about them? (I mean, in the beginning of the film as it stands now one doesn't even know if Roger and Liz are husband and wife, brother and sister, cousins, or whatever other relationships might be possible.  [hall2_undecided]) Basically the only way to care about them is to transfer ones feelings for their daytime series counterparts. However, the characters in hoDS are not those same people. Not by a long shot...

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2006, 04:45:57 AM »
However, the characters in hoDS are not those same people. Not by a long shot...

Why IS that?  Seriously....why are the characters in the movie so cold and lifeless?  These actors have been playing the characters for quite some time.....they've all been working together, and yet the whole thing comes off as tho the performers were barely introduced, and the whole thing shot in 3 days.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas