Author Topic: eve we hardly knew ye  (Read 949 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
eve we hardly knew ye
« on: September 10, 2008, 10:31:30 PM »
the 'watching project' has reached the moment when eve is killed and i'm thinking,to quote the great peggy lee,is that all there is?

the character was given this huge buildup.the experiment,who would serve as the life force,the philippe cordier stuff,that she's the reincarnation of the "most evil woman of the eighteenth century",and of course one of the show's biggest nonstarters,the 'master race created to serve satan' or whatever the heck it was supposed to be.

and then that's it.

the character doesn't really live up to the buildup she's getting.she sulks around for a few weeks,bickers with adam,starts a dust up with vicki and jeff,and then she's gone.were the writers already planning on winding the adam storyline down when eve was killed?

that said as much as i detested the adam plot in general i thought that marie wallace's portrayal of eve was a cool byproduct.i sort of wish that,like angelique,eve popped up from time to time to cause a bit of trouble and perhaps live up to that illustrious reputation as one of the most evil women of all time.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: eve we hardly knew ye
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 10:35:01 PM »
were the writers already planning on winding the adam storyline down when eve was killed?

Yup.

as much as i detested the adam plot in general i thought that marie wallace's portrayal of eve was a cool byproduct.

Agreed. She was one of the few highlights.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 11:38:27 PM »
I agree totally.  Marie's work in the character of Eve was superb, even though the character herself was so poorly written and they kept changing her backstory, motives, etc.  I wish the original Danielle Roget/Philippe Cordier story had been explored, instead of that ridiculous tripe with Peter Bradford. Poor Marie!

I wish they had explained just what someone like Danielle was doing in Collinsport.  Why wasn't she in NYC with some of the other refugees from the Terror, if that's why she fled France in the first place?  It's really pointless to ask these questions because what seems to have happened is that DC had one of his legendary story conferences in which major storylines were trashed and the show was sent off on some completely different angle. 

G.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 03:24:50 AM »
If there is documentation of those conferences, I want to know about them someday.

I agree abouit 1968 and Eve.  Her death, though, triggers the whole climax to 1968, resulting in the worthwhile part of the storyline, so stay tuned.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 12:00:07 PM »
It had never occurred to me before reading this topic that Eve could have been brought to life with a new life force (as Nicholas wanted) and been a completely different person, which would have been fun for Marie Wallace - even more so if she still wore that same old black concoction.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 10:44:21 AM »
It's too bad they didn't make Eve come to life again with a different life force.  [ghost_sad] It would have been fun to watch Marie Wallace playing Eve as a different person with a different personality.  [ghost_cheesy] Then Eve could have been on the show longer. I agree that all the buildup created a big letdown when Eve's storyline unfolded and ended way too soon!  [ghost_tongue]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 06:38:26 PM »
Eve wasn't my favorite Marie Wallace character, but nevertheless I agree she did a great job with the role.

I think in her last few episodes, Eve finally showed some potential for how evil and nasty she truly could be. And then she [spoiler] gets killed off. [/spoiler] Figures.

But hey, at least DC had sense enough to bring Marie back later on as Jenny (my favorite MW character) and Megan.