Author Topic: ** Conversion Day Is HERE! **  (Read 4302 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
** Conversion Day Is HERE! **
« on: May 31, 2004, 05:35:56 AM »
I've been threatening it for months but it's finally here: the day we convert to the new forum system. Beginning somewhere around 2-3am ET / 11pm-12am PT the forum will slip into Maintenance mode while the conversion takes place (so be sure to wrap up any posts you might be working on before that time or all your work might be lost). Afterward most things will look and operate the same, but there will also be some differences.

One thing that will be different is the main menu  - it will be missing the "guidelines", "search new", "who's online", "cousins list", "chat", and "notifications" buttons.

Buttons for "guidelines", "cousins list", and "chat" will be added back as soon as I find the time to write up some new routines for them.  ;)

"Search new" has been replaced by two new buttons: "show unread posts since last visit" and "show new replies to your posts". The latter is self-explanitory, the former operates a bit differently than "search new" did. "Search new" would always bring up all the posts that you haven't read regardless of whether they'd come up in a previous search during a previous visit to the forum. However, "show unread posts since last visit" does exactly that. If you visit the forum and don't read all the new posts since the last time you were here, the unread posts will not come up on your next visit. However, topics with unread posts in them will always display the "new" icon next to them, so catching any unread posts is as easy as going to the boards and clicking on any "new" icons.  ;)

The who's online feature is still available, but to access it you click on the icon opposite the online members list in the Info Center.

Notifications are now set in your profile.

And speaking of your profile, you'll notice it looks very different, but it actually operates the same. Instead of everything being on one page, your profile has been broken up into separate sections: "Account Related Settings", "Forum Profile Information", "Look and Layout Preferences", "Notifications and Email", and "Personal Message Options", which were previously set in YaBB SE in the Instant Messages festure itself.

And speaking of Private Messages, this new system does not currently have the backup feature, so all of your incoming PMs will be listed together in your inbox. When/if the backup feature becomes available again, I'll be sure to install it - or I may simply write one up myself if no one has gotten around to writing a mod for it.
A new feature which had previously only been available to admins/mods is the ability to bcc messages, just like one can with e-mails.

Also missing will be all the extra smileys. But I'll remedy that as soon as I get the chance to write up a new routine for them.

Also, keep in mind that this system is still in beta testing form. During our trial runs with it we didn't come across any problems, but that doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't any. If you come across something that brings up an actual error, please feel free to make a post about it on the Testing board and we'll look into it.  ;)

I think that's it for now - but more will surely come...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:** Conversion Day Is HERE! **
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 06:09:57 AM »
I think that's it for now - but more will surely come...

Sooner than I thought.  ;)

Moods have also disappeared. They'll be back.

And some of the BBC tags (formerly YaBBC tags) have changed their form. Once the conversion has taken place, be sure to check if you're using one correctly by first clicking on its button before posting.

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 07:01:41 AM »
I'll be sure not to be posting late tonight then. ;)

Will we get spell check yet with this new mod?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 06:33:28 PM »
Didn't MB do an amazing job?!!  <applause, applause>

I'm liking the "Insert Quote" feature already.  8)

Will we get spell check yet with this new mod?

SMF has a spellcheck feature, but unfortunately we can't use it yet because there's no Pspell module for PHP running on our current server.  Perhaps MB can convince them to install it, but for now can I get a boo hoo?  :'(

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: ** Conversion Day Is HERE! **
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2004, 07:02:14 PM »
In what order?  Boo Hoo's first?.....or Applause, Applause?

Oh, to Hell with the Boo Hoo's............Lots and Lots of Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause!!!!!  ;)

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2004, 07:07:59 PM »
....just tell me when a suitable time is here so I can ask my many, many questions.....

but yup...applause.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2004, 07:22:18 PM »
....just tell me when a suitable time is here so I can ask my many, many questions.....

Uhh, there's no time like the present.  But we have to ask for your patience in waiting for some features to return, particularly the ones that were written as special scripts to begin with.  And please let me point out that the help button at the top takes you to SMF User Help.  Perhaps you'll find the answers to some of your questions there?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2004, 07:29:20 PM »

Uhh, there's no time like the present.  But please let me point out that the help button at the top takes you to SMF User Help.  Perhaps you can find some of your answers there?

Also, the conversion is not complete - more changes are yet to come. I simply got things to the point that the forum was working reasonably well and then went to bed. You can expect to see anything from subtle to major changes on an almost daily basis for at least the next week or so...

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2004, 08:46:18 PM »
Applause, Applause, Applause, Applause.

Good job!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2004, 10:56:35 PM »
It's fantastic, MB!  I have one bit of a problem, though.  Maybe it's just my computer.  The text is very small and kinda hard to read, even if I increase text size.  If it's just my computer, ignore my post.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2004, 11:53:23 PM »
The text is very small and kinda hard to read, even if I increase text size.  If it's just my computer, ignore my post.

Well, no - I'd definitely like to try to get to the bottom of it for you.

Here are two screen captures: one from IE and one from Netscape. Both look almost exactly the same (which in and of itself is a bit strange because that wasn't the case when we were using YaBB SE), but I'm gathering neither looks like what you're seeing on your computer?

The really funny thing is that I was just saying to myself today that I think the text in posts looks bigger than it's ever been.

And actually, I'm glad you called this to my attention because otherwise I wouldn't have opened the forum using IE and noticed that there seems to be a problem with the way the news is displaying in IE. In IE it looks like this, but in Netscape and other browsers it looks like this. Is everyone using IE seeing the news as small, pale green lettering rather than the way it should look?!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2004, 12:53:20 AM »
Here are two screen captures: one from IE and one from Netscape. Both look almost exactly the same (which in and of itself is a bit strange because that wasn't the case when we were using YaBB SE), but I'm gathering neither looks like what you're seeing on your computer?

8) 8) 8) (blind Patti, who cannot see the difference in MB's here & this), but, noticed yesterday, font seems 'different'.

Patti

Okay...made it within the 90 sec preview...and I HAVE DELETED THE QUOTE CODE AFTER MY NAME 6 TIMES, HIT PREVIEW; TRIED COPYING/PASTING JUST MY WORDS, BUT STILL QUOTE CODES AND IT APPEARS...

anyway..the font seems different/and/or smaller
What a Woman!

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2004, 01:16:00 AM »
And actually, I'm glad you called this to my attention because otherwise I wouldn't have opened the forum using IE and noticed that there seems to be a problem with the way the news is displaying in IE. In IE it looks like this, but in Netscape and other browsers it looks like this. Is everyone using IE seeing the news as small, pale green lettering rather than the way it should look?!

Well MB...I'm operating off of an eMac, BTW...  I normally use Netscape, and I haven't noticed any problems there. I just opened IE to see what's up--the news is exactly as you've stated (small lettering), except for some reason the lettering isn't green, it's black. I don't know if that means anything or not, but I thought I'd mention it. Then again, my Mac has a mind of it's own sometimes, so who knows - LOL   ;)

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2004, 01:17:08 AM »
Is everyone using IE seeing the news as small, pale green lettering rather than the way it should look?!

Well, I certainly am.  But I thought I'd wait a while before bringing it to your attention.  ;)

And yes, the font is very, very small.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2004, 01:24:38 AM »
On my IE (and it's version 6) and on AOL, MB, the text is very teeny, at least on my computer.  I just tried it on Netscape (and thank you for making it possible to use Netscape again!), it also looks very teeny, but on Netscape I can increase the text size so it's easier to read.  Since no one else has noticed anything different about the text size, it just must be my computer for some reason (and it is only happening with our beloved DS board).  I'll just use Netscape from now on for the board.  Don't go bothering yourself looking for some problem that might need fixing, MB - it's obviously my machine (unless you want to buy me a brand new one!).

Gerard