Author Topic: ** Changes Ahead **  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
** Changes Ahead **
« on: April 16, 2004, 03:48:22 AM »
As we prepare for the switch to the new system, everyone will notice changes to their personal stats as well as the forum's own stats. For instance, personal post totals have rolled back to the point they were back in January. This is purely temporary. However, once they're reajusted (shortly), many will notice that they'll have far more total posts than they did a few minutes ago. How is that possible? Well, the posts were always here, but they weren't being counted. Why? Well, we'll save that explanation for later on. After all, you know how I love to keep everyone in suspense. And to add even more mystery to what might be ahead, changes to total posts is only the beginning...  [wink2]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:** Changes Ahead **
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 04:10:10 AM »
I forgot to mention that because of the problems we'd had with forum's e-mail since the switch to our new host (problems which have thankfully been resolved  ;)), all registrations made since that switch have been removed from the database. The four newest members who've posted since the host switch: coteriemc, dsbarnabasfan, gbsmiles and scottd will have their memberships restored shortly (though you'll probably have to edit your profiles in order to get them back to the way you might have had them  :(), but all other registrants should reregister if you'd like to become members again. Registration will reopen on Saturday - and it will work this time around.  :)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 05:09:03 AM »
Would any of this affect the Forum Time?  It's showing a little after 4 p.m. on mine, while it's actually a bit after midnight.

I went into my profile, thinking perhaps you had changed something and it had to be set again, but there, it said the forum time was a bit after 9 p.m. and my offset was +3.

Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004, 06:51:48 AM »
Yes, you need to reset your time offset

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 07:59:40 AM »
I'm thoroughly confused.  Since the time stated on the profile page is 5 hours later than the time that was showing on the forum, it made no sense.  According to the profile page, my +3 offset was right, so I didn't change it.

So, now I went back and changed it to +8 and it came out 5 hours ahead of me!

So, I went back and changed it to the ORIGINAL +3 and now it's finally right!!
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2004, 08:58:47 AM »
So, I went back and changed it to the ORIGINAL +3 and now it's finally right!!

Josette, even though your profile originally had an offset of +3 before MB made the changes, the file used to upload your account information contained an offset of -5, and that's why you needed to re-enter +3.

In case members are confused about setting their time offset, the forum clock (the Current Forum Time seen in your profile) is on Pacific Time.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2004, 02:20:11 PM »
Glad I checked....my sig/avatar were ones from about 6 months ago....also, if I'm not mistaken, karma is 'off'.

Thanks Josette for the heads up on the time!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 01:57:02 AM »
As we prepare for the switch to the new system, everyone will notice changes to their personal stats as well as the forum's own stats. For instance, personal post totals have rolled back to the point they were back in January. This is purely temporary. However, once they're reajusted (shortly)

Guestimated timeframe?

(and...I know and love you that you've been BUSY with NEW DS!! cast info)  :-*

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2004, 05:24:02 AM »
For what it's worth......

Don't know if anyone's had the problem of logging in, but I realized that not only have stats or whatever been rolled back, but other things too.  If you've changed your password in the last few months, it won't work.  You have to use your old password - I guess whatever you were using January and before.

So......if you've found you can read the board but can't log in because your password doesn't work, try using your old one.   :)

Insofar as the time offset stuff is concerned......
Ack!!  I'm so confused.  Gave up trying to figure out how to have it set right.   :-

- Time-impaired as it is, under the best of circumstances  [grinb]
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

ML_Collins

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2004, 10:24:55 AM »
[stupid]
Duh.   [8311]   [8285]

:)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2004, 02:01:14 AM »
I actually believe that all the changes I'd wanted to make here before we make the switch to the new system are finally done (hard to believe but true  [wink2]).

Observant members may have noticed that the Forum History stats now reach all the way back to January 2002 (they'd previously only gone as far back as part of February 2003). This YaBB SE system didn't begin to measure the stats displayed in that chart until February 18, 2003, once we'd made the switch to SE, however, I wrote up several PHP scripts to pull up the missing stats from the database for when we'd still been using YaBB SP. I've also readjusted the posting dates and member status for all the posts that had been transferred from our temporary eboards4all home. (Several of the members who were active between the time VantageNet shut down (January 16, 2002) and the YaBB SP version of the forum officially opened (late on February 28, 2002) might have noticed that their posting totals increased significantly a few weeks ago once that task had been finished.) Sereral members will continue to see a bump in their posting totals as the six remaining Robservations topics (for episodes #598-#609) are restored, as well as the Members' Archive topics (however, the MA topics won't be restored until after we've made the switch to the new system).

(As a side note, the newly displayed forum stats from 2002 show quite clearly why it became necessary for us to close down guest access and new registrations back in August 2002. I suppose one could call it an embarrassment of riches because the forum was simply becoming too active for its own good. And the downside of that was that the Perl based YaBB SP system was simply consuming way too much bandwidth. If only this PHP based YaBB SE system had been available to us back then, converting to it might have solved so many of the headaches, not the least of which was frequently being shut down by our host, not only for using way too much bandwidth, but for exceeding our alotted CPU usage on their server.  :(  But alas...)

At least one other significant change has taken place with regard to the way posts are now being counted, but I'm going to leave that a mystery to see just how long it might take before someone notices. The change has been in place for about two weeks already and so far no one seems to have noticed - but then, it actually effects so few of you that it might take quite some time before anyone ever realizes what it is.  :D

But anyway, now I'll be free to devote most of my time to working on the conversion to the new system. Two days ago I installed the latest beta version and Midnite, dom and I are busily checking it out and trying to decide just what we want to do with it. From our perspective, it's a radical change from this SE system, though, thankfully, it will be less of a change for you. As I've mentioned before, the most significant difference you will see is probably the way in which you'll adjust the settings in your profiles. But the developers' goal is to simplify that process for you, and I think they've done a fairly good job of doing just that. Hopefully (and I know I keep saying this, but) it won't be too long before you get to see everything for yourselves.

I suppose that's it until it comes time for the next upadte...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2004, 03:34:00 AM »
I forgot to mention that I've set the forum's default time back to GMT. All the stats prior to January 19th were done with that offset, so it would have just been too much work to redo all of that over again with Pacific Time as the default offset. However, no one should need to change the time offset in their profile. I wrote up a PHP script to do that automatically when I set the forum's offset to GMT. It worked for me and for all the members whose settings I randomly checked in the database, so I'm assuming it worked for everyone. The only reason I mention it is because the next time you go into your profiles you're going to notice that your offset and the default time have changed - or rather gone back to what they were prior to January 19th.  ;)

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2004, 04:23:07 AM »
The only thing I've noticed about the total posts is that mine seem to have gone down still further, although you now say almost everything has been restored??
Josette

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2004, 01:32:00 PM »
The only thing(s) I think I noticed were that everyone's karma was back to what January?....and even if I cursed someone, it didn't appear to be counting.

Thanks MB, Midnite and dom.

Patti

PS...right after I posted this, I cursed :-* Josette :-* above, and it DID count.
What a Woman!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2004, 07:56:26 PM »
PS...right after I posted this, I cursed :-* Josette :-* above, and it DID count.

The Karma feature was never disabled, so I'm not sure why it might not have worked for you recently.