Author Topic: ** NEW FEATURE - IM Sounds ** / IM E-Mail Notifications  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
** NEW FEATURE - IM Sounds ** / IM E-Mail Notifications
« on: June 08, 2003, 07:42:24 AM »
As was the case when we were using YaBB SP, we're now able to play a sound to notify us when we have unread IMs in our inboxes. However, this version of IM Sounds plays the chosen sound on *every* page, not simply on the BoardIndex, as was the case in SP. (I guess the writer of this mod wanted everyone to read their IMs right away or be hounded by their IM sound until they do. [lghy] Though it is nice to be notified of a new IM regardless of what you're doing on the forum, and the reason the sound plays on all pages actually has a lot more to do with the internal differences between SP and SE than anything else.)

Members who currently have IMs in the database have been automatically assigned the default sound (didledee.wav) (though I've taken it upon myself to assign a few sounds on my own [vryevl] - is that dom I hear screaming? [wink2]). However, if you'd prefer not to have a sound play, simply go into your IM Preferences, choose "None" from the drop down menu, and then click on "Save Preferences". Or if you'd prefer a different sound from the one that's currently assigned to you, you can go into your IM Preferences and choose from one of the other 38 sounds that are currently available. ;)

Some of the sounds may require that you upgrade your QuickTime plugin for them to play. To test if that's the case for you, click -here-. If this file plays without prompting you to upgrade, then you *should* be able to play the other sounds without a problem.

Also, the text of IMs will no longer be e-mailed to anyone who has IM e-mail notification set. People have commented that they can't tell if/when the IMs they've sent out have been read if people are reading them in e-mail. So, from now on a notice will continue to be sent via e-mail that a certain member has sent you an IM, but you'll have to come to the forum to actually read it.

Enjoy the new sounds!

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Re:** NEW FEATURE - IM Sounds ** / IM E-Mail Notifications
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2003, 05:23:11 PM »
I set my IM preferences for the sound to none, mainly because I don't want the stupid QuickTime update thing to flash up every time I change screens on the board, and I'm not going to download the evil bugger again because, last time I did, it led to a chain of events that resulted in the Format C fix because it did something to the registry that made Norton System Works go nuts.

Anyway, even with the sound preference set to None, I am still getting the QuickTime update window on every page. Is there any way around this besides immediately reading my IMs?

Thanks,
C.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2003, 06:06:33 PM »
Anyway, even with the sound preference set to None, I am still getting the QuickTime update window on every page. Is there any way around this besides immediately reading my IMs?

Apparently even when someone has set their preference to None, the code to play a sound is still written to every page. (Sloppy programming! ::)) But that's an easy fix that I'll get on right now. ;)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2003, 06:09:14 PM »
But that's an easy fix that I'll get on right now. ;)

All fixed. :)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)