Author Topic: *** Big Changes Ahead ***  (Read 22422 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: *** Big Changes Ahead ***
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2007, 12:33:35 AM »
MB, spoilers aren't seen by regular members

OK - I *think* I've gotten to the bottom of the problem. Unlike SMF 1.0, permissions have to be set in SMF 1.1 for members to see and use spoilers. The default setting is supposed to be that all members can, BUT that was not the case when I just went to check it out. Even though the individual membergroups (newbie, junior, full, etc.) had the permission set for them, an overall group called "regular members" (which is actually a more complicated membergroup that it sounds - but I won't try to explain that because it will only make things even more confusing than they already are  :- ) did not, and apparently that was what was preventing 99% of members from seeing and using them. But I've corrected that and all members *should* be seeing spoilers and *should* be able to add them to posts.

I got stuck a couple of times too in Fetching Preview using different browsers.

Which browsers were those? Strangely, I can't duplicate the problem in any browsers. I wonder if setting the permissions fixed it? But I'm not about to unset them to find out.  ;)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2007, 01:05:02 AM »
Which browsers were those? Strangely, I can't duplicate the problem in any browsers. I wonder if setting the permissions fixed it? But I'm not about to unset them to find out.  ;)

LOL, noooo.  It was Firefox and IE 6.  I tried posting spoilers in different places and usually received the error but I did get stuck in Preview twice.

I hope Lydia can return to post the spoilery comment soon (and if you should miss the unending Fetching Preview, sweetie, my dog would be more than happy to play it with you ;)).

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2007, 01:10:26 AM »
tried doing a spoiler for 287  It wouldn't white it out or block it. Tied to do an edit but that didn't work either. That just got me into the code. I erased it and re-did it but it didn't change it.  I did get the preview what it is showing is spoiler with the colon, but it is not hiding it. I hope that you can go in and fixit. PLEASE. SORRY I messed it up Used spoiler button. Is there some code missing???
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2007, 01:23:29 AM »
It was Firefox and IE 6.

Interesting because I can't duplicate it in either. I don't even get the Fetching preview notice - the preview just comes up.  :-   But I'm not going to worry about it unless/until it keeps happening.

what it is showing is spoiler with the colon, but it is not hiding it.

How very odd! It was working perfectly fine for me before I set the regular members permission to allow members to see/use spoilers, but now it's not working at all for new spoilers beyond the word spoiler showing up. BUT odder still, spoilers posted before I set the permissions ARE working!  [hdscrt]

We've joked before that the forum is haunted.  [Ghost00]  But in instances like this I really do wonder if it isn't actually true!  [lghy]

But seriously, I'll do some experimenting to try to get to the bottom of this latest bizarre development. Something very wrong is apparently happening now with the way the system is processing the spoiler tags before posts are being written to the database. I've gone into the database and manually fixed your post, but until I do get to the bottom of it, people probably shouldn't put any spoilers in their posts, so I've disabled the permissions again...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2007, 01:58:42 AM »
Something is definitely screwy with the code for the spoiler feature because no new spoilers will work - only older ones. And I should probably point out the spoiler feature is a mod - it's not actually a part of SMF 1.1.2 - and whoever wrote it certainly needs to go back to the drawing board.  :-

As soon as I get a chance, I'll see if I can figure out where they went wrong. But if not, I'll probably try to figure out how I can upgrade the code that I wrote for SMF 1.0 to make it work with SMF 1.1.2...

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2007, 03:00:24 AM »
Thanks for the earlier info, but things seem to be loading just fine for now. I suspect that it was stupid AOHELL that was screwing things up.

And as for spoliers--before I upgraded to IE 7, I had to highlight what was in the text box. I assumed it was that way for everyone. I had no idea that other people could just roll over it and it would appear. However, since I've upgraded to IE 7, it's been that way--I can just roll over the text box and the spoilered text appears.

Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2007, 03:32:25 AM »
Something is definitely screwy with the code for the spoiler feature because no new spoilers will work - only older ones. And I should probably point out the spoiler feature is a mod - it's not actually a part of SMF 1.1.2 - and whoever wrote it certainly needs to go back to the drawing board.  :-

As soon as I get a chance, I'll see if I can figure out where they went wrong. But if not, I'll probably try to figure out how I can upgrade the code that I wrote for SMF 1.0 to make it work with SMF 1.1.2...

Is there anyway you can just go back and copy the old code?? I know that doesn't always work but it is an idea?? What code is it that this datebase uses??

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2007, 03:39:15 AM »
I just tried to go to the video on "KLS on Huff", and could not make it work. Am I doing something wrong, or is this part of the update not yet fixed? When I put the cursor on the URL given, it does not give the "pointy" sign that usually means you can click on it to make it start.
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2007, 03:45:36 AM »
Is there anyway you can just go back and copy the old code??

Unfortunately, no. The scrpits that run the system have been completely rewritten in SMF 1.1. They're practically nothing like the ones for SMF 1.0

What code is it that this datebase uses??

Well the code for the database and the code for the system are two separate things. The database uses MySQL code. The scripts that run the system are written in a scripting language known as PHP. There are links on the bottom left hand side of every forum page for anyone who might want to learn more.  :)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2007, 03:48:12 AM »
I just tried to go to the video on "KLS on Huff", and could not make it work.

I'm glad you brought that up because I'd completely forgotten about it. None of the videos in the Members' Mausoleum will play until I write some new code for them.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2007, 04:11:39 AM »
Barring something unforeseen happening (like maybe once I go to bed, I don't wake up until tomorrow afternoon  :D), one of those newer themes (Lightning) will replace the default theme before the day is over.

Well, something unforeseen did happen - though at least all this trouble with spoilers was far less drastic than not waking up until tomorrow afternoon. ;)  However, it definitely did put a crimp in any hope of me being able to complete the Lightning theme before the day is over.  :(  But I will definitely complete it as soon as possible...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2007, 07:25:26 PM »
I've received several inquiries from people wondering why the attachments on the Caption This! board are now so small, but actually those are simply thumbnails. Clicking on them will bring up the normal sized image.  :)

Also, I believe I've figured out why the spoiler mod isn't working with our forum - it's because we don't allow HTML in posts. The mod writer has devised his spoiler feature in such a way that the HTML code for it is translated to our posts before the text of our posts is written to the database, but because we don't allow members to use HTML code in their posts (and likely never will because it can be a security risk), when the system reads the database to format our posts for our browsers, it sees the HTML code, tosses it out, and what we get in our posts is simply the word "spoiler" with the spoiler text also on display. Not particularly useful.  ::)  I can only assume that the mod writer did it that way because he does allow HTML code on his forum, and it never occurred to him to write his code so that it writes the spoiler tags to the database, which is the way every other BBC tag is handled, and then translate it to HTML only when someone's post is going to be displayed in a browser, which is also how every other BBC tag is handled. The only reason our older spoilers work is because he did actually allow for spoiler tags to be in older posts, presumably because he figured people may have been using other spoiler features on past versions of SMF and YaBB SE. At least he got that right.

But anyway, I may be able to figure out how to correct the code. Or, as I mentioned last night, I may just try to rewrite my own code for SMF 1.1.2. But either way it's going to wait until after I've finished/installed the Lightning theme...

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2007, 07:51:19 PM »
last night I was reading through all the data on SMF, I didn't find anything, I know that you had already probobly done that. I have done some visual basic, oh well.  I know that you will figure it out. Thanks for all your hard work. I will try to refrain from thinking of things that are spoilers. I hope that people start posting more on watching project.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2007, 12:33:41 AM »
I hope that people start posting more on watching project.

Since we recently went on a 5-day trip, I have gotten behind on my DS watching. [shkdg] When I have a chance to watch again, I will start posting there again. [thumb] I'm sorry the posts will be very late, but better late than never! [cheesyg]

----- Sally -----

[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2007, 12:49:07 AM »
ALT characters didn't fare well in the upgrade either.  For example, naïve became naƒ¯ve.  There were a handful in the DS alphabet list but they've been fixed.