Author Topic: *** Big Changes Ahead ***  (Read 22417 times)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: *** Big Changes Ahead ***
« Reply #135 on: May 18, 2007, 01:24:37 AM »
All I found was "Reply #1".  Sorry.   Year two.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 18, 2007, 01:29:42 AM »
There's another problem... occasionally it will post without my permission, when I'm in the middle of writing it.
Yes, that's happened to me a couple of times, though not recently.  I hit Return or Backspace or something, and it saved the post.  I went to Testing and tried to reproduce the phenomenon, but was unsuccessful.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 18, 2007, 02:58:46 AM »
If someone accidentally hits the Alt and S keys in combination, a post will be submitted. Other than that, I have no idea how it could happen. It's never happened to me.

As far as freezing goes, more often than not that's a Java issue. Chances are you need to update your version of Java.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #138 on: May 18, 2007, 05:50:49 AM »
Chances are you need to update your version of Java.

My knowledge is so primitive, that I don't even know what this sentence means!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 19, 2007, 05:00:15 PM »
i like the purple theme but i miss having some kind of artwork at the top of the page that said "dark shadows".

if the slide show is not returning can we expect some other type of visual?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 19, 2007, 05:37:42 PM »
The slideshow *might* get put into the Mystic Night theme. I haven't gotten a chance to even think about putting in the code for it (I've been concentrating on things like the spoiler feature, which isn't exactly going well so far because the person who wrote the mod is using PHP code that I'm not familiar with and which is so advanced that it doesn't even appear in any of my PHP manuals (:o) so I've been spending a good deal of time familiarizing myself with it via various PHP Web sites). And that theme is simply a temporary alternative for the people who choose not to use the SMF default and Lightning themes, both of which do feature the slideshow.

Speaking of the slideshow, it has been slated to end once it completes its second run with the June 26th episodes, but I haven't given any thought as to what might replace it...

Changing the subject, I've noticed that this system is far more finicky  when it comes to nesting BBC tags than previous versions. The placement on tags that did indeed work in past systems are no longer working. For example, this code had worked:

Code: [Select]
[b][color=LimeGreen]On Lifetime TV's web site under the topic of their new vampire show, Blood Ties, there is a quiz to see how much you know about "spooky stuff"...one of the questions concerns our own Dark Shadows. Go here if you want some fun:
[center]http://www.lifetimetv.com/shows/bloodties/quiz/main.php?bloodquizpage=intro[/color][/center]
PS: I only got 8 out of 11--who can do better? ;)[/b]

but now it has to be:

Code: [Select]
[b][color=LimeGreen]On Lifetime TV's web site under the topic of their new vampire show, Blood Ties, there is a quiz to see how much you know about "spooky stuff"...one of the questions concerns our own Dark Shadows. Go here if you want some fun:[/color][/b]
[center]http://www.lifetimetv.com/shows/bloodties/quiz/main.php?bloodquizpage=intro[/center]
[b]PS: I only got 8 out of 11--who can do better? ;)[/b]

so, whenever anyone is using multiple tags, please be sure to preview your posts before posting them to make sure everything is displaying the way you'd like it to.  :)

(Nesting is discussed in the new Help section. First click on the "Help" button in the main menu, then click on the "Posting" link, followed by "Tags and Nesting (for beginners)".)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 19, 2007, 11:16:38 PM »
Chances are you need to update your version of Java.

My knowledge is so primitive, that I don't even know what this sentence means!

Java is a scripting language that your browser interprets to run  certain parts of the forum (and other Web sites). If it's not up to date, your browser may not know how interpret Java scripts, and that can likely cause your browser to freeze or even crash.

I finally got a chance to check the access_logs and I see that you're using IE6. Do you have automatic updates set for Windows, or do you check for updates on your own using Windows Update? If it's the former, your version of Java *should* be up to date, but when it comes to IE, I've learned to never count on anything.  ::)  And another complication is that you may be using Microsoft's own version of Java. They've been court ordered not to use or distribute it any longer - but I strongly suspect they've never removed it from the Windows users who've already had it installed - especially the Win98 users, of which I also see you are.

If you go into Windows Control Panel, do you see an icon that looks like a steaming cup of coffee that's labeled "Java"? If so, click it, and then check which version of Java you currently have installed on your computer. You really shouldn't be running anything less than Java 2 version 1.5.0 - preferably even build 11.

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 20, 2007, 03:34:05 AM »
Speaking of the slideshow, it has been slated to end once it completes its second run with the June 26th episodes, but I haven't given any thought as to what might replace it...
I'd like to vote for keeping the slideshow. It keeps me in tune with segments of the show that I may not be currently watching, and I guess there's some sort of nostalgic comfort there. OTOH you've managed to both surprise and entertain us with the things you whip up, so if the slideshow dies I can live with it, consoling myself with the anticipation of your next trick.
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 20, 2007, 08:56:32 PM »
The slideshow *might* get put into the Mystic Night theme. I haven't gotten a chance to even think about putting in the code for it

By popular request, the slideshow has now been added to the Mystic Night theme.  :)

And on a different note, maybe it's just me, but I find the font sizes in the Mystic Night theme to be much smaller than those in the Lightning theme.  :-

This post in Mystic Night:
This post in Lightning:

Click on each for a larger image.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #144 on: May 20, 2007, 10:42:24 PM »
MB---thanks for investigating.   Don't go nuts on my little problem.... skip to bigger things if your sanity requires it.

You lost me with "Java is a scripting language".   That soon, I mean.    My brain isn't wired for this subject.    I don't learn new information well.

The freezing only happens with doing quotes (or "modify" too maybe), and only on DS Forums.   I'll just stop quoting.

No coffee cup under Control Panel.

I dowloaded Java "stuff", whatever it was, because someone online told me to, 2 or 3 years ago.  I don't know what it is and must never have used it but am afraid to delete.  ("Java Console"... blank screen...?)

The updates must cost, whatever they are.   I'm on an insanely low fixed Disability income, so I just don't buy things.   

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 21, 2007, 04:12:35 AM »
I'd like to vote for keeping the slideshow.
I too like the slide show, and would like to see it repeated.  I said last year I'd like to see it repeated.  I'll say next year I'd like to see it repeated.  When I've been here ten thousand years, bright shining as the sun, I'll still say I'd like to see it repeated.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 21, 2007, 11:16:01 AM »
I'd like to vote for keeping the slideshow.
I too like the slide show, and would like to see it repeated.  I said last year I'd like to see it repeated.  I'll say next year I'd like to see it repeated.  When I've been here ten thousand years, bright shining as the sun, I'll still say I'd like to see it repeated.

The slide show is cool, but a bit "spoilerish."

I'd like to nominate a subforum -
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 21, 2007, 02:35:09 PM »

Which is why people have been repeatedly warned that they view it at their own peril.  ;)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 22, 2007, 08:13:44 PM »
The updates must cost, whatever they are.

Windows updates are free. However, unfortunately for the people who are still using Win98, Microsoft no longer supports it - though some of the older updates were still available the last time I noticed. If they're still there, they should be accessible by activating Windows Update through Win98 itself or by clicking on the Windows Update link in IE.

Java updates are free as well.

And speaking of Java updates, I'm automatically notified whenever a new one is released, and I just received a notice that Java 2 version 1.6.0_01-b06 (where "b" means "build") is now available. (I'm currently installing it.  ;))

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 23, 2007, 11:33:43 AM »

Which is why people have been repeatedly warned that they view it at their own peril.  ;)

It's hard to avoid it when it's at the top of the homepage  :'(
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey