Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0380  (Read 1055 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0380
« on: September 07, 2007, 07:48:47 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0380
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 05:24:14 PM »
I hate this episode.  So let's talk about the cat.  I like the cat, but for all the wrong reasons.  Usually when you see a cat in a movie or TV show, it plays its part well.  Of course you don't see the million and one takes that were required to get the cat to do a 10-second scene correctly, and Dan Curtis wasn't about to waste money on a second take even for a cat.  So the cat lies on its pillow looking uncomfortable, and halfway through any given scene, it finally gets fed up and walks off.  I sit watching it, wondering how it was persuaded to stay on the pillow for any length of time at all.  It can't be catnip in the pillow; catnip would make it frisky, and this cat never loses his dignity.  Or her dignity.  Has anybody noticed if it's male or female?  If the Countess didn't agree with Abigail that a cat is the devil's pet, I can easily imagine her inspecting its hindquarters and giving her verdict to the world.  (I can't imagine any other circumstances under which the Countess would care to inspect Joshua's hindquarters.)

Is there any record of where Dan Curtis Productions got this cat from?  I never notice any disclaimer in the credits to the effect that the Animal Rescue League - or whoever - monitored the proceedings to make sure the cat was not abused, but perhaps everybody felt it was obvious that this cat was taking no guff from anybody.  Did it belong to one of the crew?  Or to Dan Curtis himself even?

Description of cat: black and white.  Well nourished.  Clean.  I keep thinking, "How many cats looked this well-cared for in 1795?"  I also think the cat looks sulky, but it's hard to say with certainty exactly what a cat's expression is intended to convey.  If the cat were Vicky instead of Joshua, would I say that it looked imbecilic?

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 02:30:28 PM »
I hate this episode.  So let's talk about the cat.  I like the cat, but for all the wrong reasons.  Usually when you see a cat in a movie or TV show, it plays its part well.  Of course you don't see the million and one takes that were required to get the cat to do a 10-second scene correctly, and Dan Curtis wasn't about to waste money on a second take even for a cat. 

The Cat deserved an Daytime Emmey.  I had to be someones can that could control it.

A agree about this show. Why did Natalie trust Angelique? Maybe it was because she didn't want to draw attention to the fact that she did the Tarot Cards so she couldn't admit that Angelique was bad. Wasn't Angelique first Natalie's maid.  Why did Natalie have to tell Angelique about the wedding was going to happen that night.  If there was someting bad happening in household wouldn't they want to keep everything very quiet.

I wonder if the Du Pres were more interested in the deal for the shipping and the Sugar Cane, than really the marriage of Josette and Barnabas. Maybe the reason they didn't marry in Paris was because the DuPres didn't want people to know that Josette was marrying an American.

Why couldn't Josette have gone home. They could have blamed it on the Americans. I think that they wanted the business.  That was the way marriages were back then.  Just see how Joshua wanted  Jerremiah to marry Millicent.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 08:27:15 PM »
I always like (non-human) animals in shows, since they are the only participants whom we know for a fact aren't acting, and have no idea why they're there.   It's a nice bit of Reality Theater sometimes.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 08:39:18 PM »
The Robservations screen captures for this episode have finally been added...

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 11:55:31 AM »
I hate Angelique in this episode!  [vryangg] She's so evil! For whatever reason, Natalie didn't suspect Angelique at all for being a witch - Vicki was the prime suspect. [signerror]

Josette sure looked lovely in her wedding dress and veil. [gorgeous] Too bad they were wasted.  [sad3]

I guess there must have been some rear stairs; otherwise, how did Josette leave the house undetected? [idontknow]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 03:51:17 AM »
Finally catching up. I enjoy the exchanges between Ben and Angelique-------the reluctant Ben vs. the evil and determined Angelique. Natalie is so casual while waiting for Josette; this is her niece, she certainly should be more excired in anticipation of her wedding. With all the talk of a witch at Collinwood, no one seemed to find it unusual that Angelique (a servant) became so upset when Josette refused the amulet!!! Natalie, no doubt was too focused on Vickie.
                                                                                                                                     Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 05:43:28 AM »
Angelique sure knows how to play the injured party, first acting like she feels bad for trying to help Josette with her headache, then when Josette hesitates to pin the amulet to her dress. If only her energies would have been directed more positively, she could have been a very caring person.

Doesn't anyone care that Barnabas and Josette are marrying without Joshua? You would have thought Naomi would have protested at the very least.
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"