Author Topic: Chris Pennock in Hamlet  (Read 5083 times)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Chris Pennock in Hamlet
« on: April 01, 2004, 07:05:44 PM »
The recent SG e-mail update reported that Chris Pennock is appearing as Claudius in the Tamarind Theatre's production of Hamlet in L.A. I found this article about the play and its connection to an HBO series from the L.A. Times rather interesting.

ARTS NOTES;
'Hamlet' is making quite a scene
3-14-04

In L.A.'s sub-100-seat theater scene, most producers can't afford to spend much on advertising.

But the hoopla for the "Hamlet" opening March 22 at the 85-seat Tamarind Theatre in Hollywood is something else entirely.

Already, the production is being advertised on 12 billboards, as far away from the theater as West L.A., and on two city buses. Television commercials are in the talking stage.

Francesco Vitale, who runs the Tamarind and stars as Hamlet, says the marketing campaign set for the next few months has a $300,000 budget, raised from three investors whom he won't identify. None of the money is his, he insists: "I'm a struggling actor."

The production also might get a PR boost because it and the Tamarind are being used in the shooting of a new HBO comedy series that George Clooney and Steven Soderbergh are producing. But Vitale says revenue from the HBO deal is not paying for the "Hamlet" marketing campaign, which was already in place before the deal was made. In fact, he believes the marketing might have helped attract HBO.

HBO officials declined to discuss the deal except to confirm that the series has filmed both at the Tamarind and during rehearsals for "Hamlet."

-- D.S.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:Chris Pennock in Hamlet
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 07:25:48 PM »
ShadowGram reported that the play was running through 3/30, but actually it's there through May 30.

For show times and information call 323-465-7980.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 07:44:04 PM »
More info:

Runs 8 p.m. Wednesdays to Sundays, 2 p.m. Sundays ($35/Thursday to Sunday evenings, $25/Wednesday evenings and Sunday matinees)
Box office 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
e-mail: info@thetamarindtheatre.com

Valet parking available.  Several restaurants nearby.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 07:44:38 PM »
Ah. That makes sense. I was wondering why the article talked about a massive publicity campaign for a run of several months and then SG reported a 3/30 close. Had me wondering if the production had bombed. Guess not.  :P

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 07:49:36 PM »
Wow.  This is fabulous news for Chris, and given his background, I'm sure he'll make a wonderful Claudius.

I look forward to seeing photos soon!

Thanks again--I missed this in the long long long Shadowgram email.

G.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 01:46:45 AM »
Steve....I was just going to post that I think Chris Pennock would be great as Claudius.

Has anyone heard anything about it since it's been on?
Midnite, since that's your neck of the woods, anything on the local radio or newspaper?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 02:04:14 AM »
Midnite didn't mention this directly, though you can figure it out from the email link she posted for the theatre. The Tamarind Theatre web site is:

http://www.thetamarindtheatre.com/

The Flash presentation will take a few seconds to load if you're using a dial-up connection. They have a photo of Pennock with a list of some of his credits, including his recent appearance at the Actor's Studio and his "terrifying portrayals on Dark Shadows."

(Time for a gratuitous medieval student comment: They also misspelled Abelard of Abelard and Heloise as Abeland.  ::) )

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 02:24:50 AM »
Well this is good news.  Thanks for letting me know.   I'll see what I can do regarding organizing an outing in the next week or so for the LA DS Club.

The last group I organized to see the Actor's Studio production really enjoyed it.  I think Chris Pennock did too.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2004, 04:09:34 AM »
Following the links from the theater's page, I'd say that's quite a website for a "struggling actor."

Not to mention the theater's webpage -- not exactly slacking.  Do all L.A. theaters have this level of marketing?  Someone I know (formerly with the Royal Court Theatre) is artistic director of a theater in NY, and you can't even find anything about her or the theater on the web ...

It would be interesting to see a DS actor in a stage performance like this.  Would like to be informed here if there are any reviews.  It would have to be better than the last "Hamlet" I saw (Royal National Theatre tour).  Guess I'll have to put in my Ethan Hawke version DVD this weekend ...

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2004, 04:59:27 AM »
Would like to be informed here if there are any reviews.

Gotcha, Vlad.

I haven't been able to find an explanation as to why opening night was postponed-- only that the performances through April 1 were cancelled-- and I didn't post the cost for the first night's tickets because I thought it had already passed.  But to rectify that, tickets for tomorrow's (April 2) opening night, which includes a reception, are $70.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2004, 05:16:32 AM »
Someone I know (formerly with the Royal Court Theatre) is artistic director of a theater in NY, and you can't even find anything about her or the theater on the web ...

Perhaps your friend should give some thought to creating a Web site for the theater herself, or having a site created for her. If it's the latter option, well, who better than to do it for her than you? After all, YOU have taken that Web design course.  [wink2]

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2004, 12:08:56 AM »
Would like to be informed here if there are any reviews.
Gotcha, Vlad.

I meant to ask a bit more politely, BTW, something along the lines of, if you happen to see any reviews, and if it's not too much trouble, could you possibly post a link?   :)  Don't mean to take your beyond-the-call-of-duty efforts for granted.  :) :)

MB, I'm amazed you would remember that -- I'd nearly forgotten myself.  Can't say I truly enjoyed the experience of struggling with Frontpage ... although I would like to some day create a webpage for Welsh actor and playwright Emlyn Williams.  As for the actress/director I studied/worked with, I actually haven't been in touch with her since she moved to New York City a few years ago, although I later came across some highly favorable reviews of productions she has directed there.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2004, 12:37:03 AM »
That's strange, I went back into the above post to modify it by adding a further comment.  A bit later now, I went back to re-read what I wrote (  ;D ) ... and the part I added isn't here!  I'm sure I clicked "Save."

Anyway, I just said something else about Chris Pennock, about how I was surprised by his restrained performance in "Frances" (the only non-DS work I've seen him in), and that I wish I could see this stage production.

And now, I think I've about reached my posting quota for the day ...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2004, 01:07:07 AM »
And now, I think I've about reached my posting quota for the day ...

You're 2 below the limit til the forum clock resets.  ;)

According to L.A. Weekly, the production puts a modern twist on the tragedy-- the setting is present-day Denmark-- and Vitali (you know you're a struggling actor when the Times misspells your name) plays a hip Hamlet.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2004, 03:20:35 AM »
MB, I'm amazed you would remember that -- I'd nearly forgotten myself.

MB remembers all.  [b003]  (And has it filed away for whenever it might prove useful - like in this case.  :D)