Author Topic: Thumbnails won't enlarge. What gives?  (Read 1637 times)

Online MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Thumbnails won't enlarge. What gives?
« on: December 07, 2009, 05:35:05 PM »
Thumbs in the fill-in-the-blank area won't enlarge... I forget the exact wording that pops up.   MB, Midnite, what might be happening here, please?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Thumbnails won't enlarge. What gives?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 07:54:16 PM »
Currently, all attachments (even those not on the Caption board) are opening on a new page.  So the thumbnails do enlarge, but you might have a browser setting on your computer that's preventing the new page from opening.  As to why they're not enlarging inside the post, I'm deferring to MB.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 04:35:50 AM »
The reason why they're opening in a new window is something peculiar to this Christmas theme and I only wish I knew why it happens. I tried to figure it out but, as you'll see if you begin reading with this post:
Re: Christmas_Season Theme
the situation was originally much worse...

Online MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 04:57:26 AM »
Midnite-- Do I really have to change the security level on my computer, or something, to make the thumbnails show in a separate window?   It seems unlikely to my admittedly computer-ignorant mind that it's anything my computer's doing.   For years, the captures haven't appeared this way.  I get an unhelpful message saying basically that they can't be shown.   Of course, this doesn't matter when they enlarge right on the original page, but now I can't enlarge the images either way.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 05:13:24 AM »
Magnus, I've got my Current Theme (in Look and Layout Preferences) set to Midnight, and on that setting the captures are behaving as they should.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 05:14:40 AM »
In IE doesn't a bar appear under the address bar asking how you'd like to respond to the pop-up? If so, then it's possible to only change IE's pop-up setting for dsboards without changing any others. That's the way it works in other browsers - but as you know, I avoid using IE like the plague so I'm not sure how it reacts...

Online MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 06:21:24 AM »
I use Windows accessibility features that create a white blown-up letters on black screen, with some purple and blue.   I didn't know we were supposed to be able to choose a layout.   MB, none of what you said sounds like anything I have.   The pop-up thing in the middle of the screen just asks me if I want to open the file or save it.  Sometimes when a holiday layout for the board happens, suddenly the new screen with the capture will appear if I ask for it... that hasn't happened with recent holidays.   If this means anything, I have Windows 98.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 06:52:39 AM »
Try opening the file when it asks. That should work.  [santa_smiley]

Online MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 08:11:43 AM »
Try opening the file when it asks. That should work.  [santa_smiley]

Very respectfully, trust me please, MB, I'm bright enough to click on something that says "Open" when I'm trying to open a file.... it doesn't work.  It just says it can't do it.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 08:17:36 AM »
Mmmm. I certainly believe you, but a file not opening when it specifically asks you to open it doesn't make sense.  [confused5]  And what's odder is that you didn't seem to have this problem back in December '07 or '08.  [hdscrt]  Have you or someone else made changes to your computer in '09?

Also, does the pop-up with the extra smileys come up for you? If it does, there shouldn't be a reason why the attachments don't. But then, when it comes to IE, I've come to expect almost anything...

Online MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 12:39:44 PM »
Mmmm. I certainly believe you, but a file not opening when it specifically asks you to open it doesn't make sense.  [confused5]  And what's odder is that you didn't seem to have this problem back in December '07 or '08.  [hdscrt]  Have you or someone else made changes to your computer in '09?

Also, does the pop-up with the extra smileys come up for you? If it does, there shouldn't be a reason why the attachments don't. But then, when it comes to IE, I've come to expect almost anything...

A file not opening when it asks you to click on a thing to open it is just par for the course with me, and with life.   What, I didn't have this problem in 2008?   Yes, I did.   Probably.   I mean, never have I had this problem for any length of time.   Usually, I've just clicked on it and opened it, but on the same page.