Author Topic: Brandon's 2006 DS Fest Report  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Brandon's 2006 DS Fest Report
« on: October 05, 2006, 07:55:42 PM »
I decided to post these here, although they're a little late, for those of you who do not belong to the groups I had posted them to originally. Part one is today, and parts two and three will follow.

Thursday August 24 through Friday August 25

Schedule of Events--
3pm   Registration Opens
6:00   DS: The Beginning
6:30   DS 1960s Novels Guest - Marilyn Ross
7:00   The First Year - Guests KLS, John Karlen, Diana Millay
7:30   DS: The Same Branch - Guest: Lara Parker
8:00   Dan Curtis Tribute
9:00   Autographs/DS In Remembrance
10:00 Night of Dark Shadows
11:00 The Black Hole (06 David Selby film)

My mother and I arrived at New York's Penn Station on Thursday, sometime around 11a.m. From there we took our cab to our hotel--The Brooklyn Marriott. Once we checked in and unpacked our things, we left and saw the city for the first day. Lots of walking, looking, doing, and the like. Many adjectives.

Friday we woke up and we didn't go into the city again like we had originally planned. It was some where between $20-25 each time we took a cab or private car to the city, and it was about $50 round trip. We knew that if we had've done this on Friday, along with having to go back to the station on Monday, that we would severely limit our funds and spending ability at the fest.

We stayed in the room for the better part of the morning, waking up and doing your normal morning routine. Then we went downstairs to the Archives restaurant, which was in the hotel. The hotel was set up so that once you stepped off the elevator, you turned to your right and walked through the foyer area. To your next right was a long hallway, down which the festival activities were held. There was nothing when we went down for lunch, but I left a little early to use the restroom and discovered that none other than Kathryn Leigh Scott was now beginning to set up her table. I have to say that she made the most of her time there, out of many of the stars. This was around 1:30 or 2pm. I walked down the hall and her table was to the right of the hall. There was also a window there--imagine a concessions stand where you have that metal door that comes down to the counter when you close--and on that counter were all her books. The Bunny Years, all DS books, and many, many photos. They had a lot of photos from Dark Shadows and some of her in her later years, as well as a few from other series' that she guested on.

I stood looking at the photos and the books. I didn't have the "Dark Shadows Collectibles Book" by Craig Hamrick, and was thinking about buying it. To the left of the window was a door and to the right was Kathryn's signing table with a display highlighting her new book--"Murder in Primetime." As I was standing, flipping through a book, I was approached by a very nice gentleman named Tim, who said "You look a little young to have watched the show with it originall aired." I explained to him my story--SciFi, turned on by my mother who was an original watcher--and we proceeded to chat. Many people that I met over the weekend were just wonderful. And wouldn't you know it, within a few minutes, Kathryn emerged from that door to my left. She was carrying her purse and wearing a very cute, colorful outfit. All smiles, she saw Tim and I standing there and gave a small wave. "Hi, how are you?" I asked her. "Well, I'm doing very well," she said, heading over to her table where her husband was sitting. "I just need someone to zip me up." Tim and I both turned and discovered that she was holding the back of her dress closed, and we all, including Kathryn, had a small chuckle.

Soon after Tim departed, my mom called me. I had roamed into the very back of the hallway, to the left of which had a very long table full of pictures, the Marilyn Ross books, and much memoribilia. At the end of the hall was a large table with many different magazines of the time--16, Tiger Beat, etc, and one man even had TV Guides dated to 1952! I'm guessing that all the magazines that were for sale had something about Dark Shadows in them.

When I answered my phone, my Mom told me that they had things going on at the fest, and I told her I know, I had already seen them. I soon spotted her and we decided that I should go up to the room and grab the various books that I had brought and get in Kathryn's line for her to sign them, as it was still rather short. By the time I returned downstairs, it was getting longer, but she moved through the guests very quickly. Soon it was my turn and I laid my pile of books on the table and handed her two photos that I was purchasing. She gave me a wide-eyed surprised look with a grin. "My, you have the entire collection!" she exclaimed. "Yes. These are my own that I have bought over the years," I said. I believe that she thought I was buying them all there, at that moment. I laughed. She very graciously signed all of my books--I had like 7, plus two pictures--and then posed with me for a picture. I left her line and proceeded around the area.

Kathryn was in the main hall, but if you were standing in her line, at the right of the hall, on the left side of the hall was a series of double doors separated by short spots of wall. About 6 or 8 sets, identified with letters A-I. There was a table along the left wall, but no one was there at the moment so I proceeded into the adjacent hallway. Here there were numerous tables set up, all empty and to the far right, at the end of the hall was the dealers room--MPO and other smaller dealers were located here later. Not much was going on now.

Registration began at 3pm and we got in line along with everyone else. The line moved fairly quickly in my recollection--so many of the lines I will tell you about moved ever so slowly--and we soon had our festival name tags. After that, the next event didn't begin until 6pm, so we headed back out into the main hall where Kathryn's table was located.

The next thing I remember--stupid me, I brought a pad of paper but neglected to write things down because we were all over the place--was seeing that Lara Parker had set up her table, selling photos and copies of her new book, The Salem Branch, along with a book by her mother. Her table was parallel to Kathryn's, although on the left of the hall instead of the right. When I got in line I was back by the entry doors that led into the hall. I stood there, sometimes with my mother (when she wasn't looking around or doing something else) for a little over TWO HOURS! In one line!! I stood around some very interesting people, who's names I neglected to get, but they were extremely inviting and friendly nonetheless. We talked about different things. One man had been to nearly all, if not all, of the fest, and explained that he'd seem some bad autograph lines but that this one was on the worst. And we remarked about how long it was taking, but found out later that many people had a lot for Lara to sign, and Lara was talking to a lot of guests as well.

We finally reached the end of the table, but weren't up to her yet. The aformentioned man who had been to most of the fests said that this was a first--stars signing autographs outside of the scheduled autograph times. Sitting here now, I know for a fact that had this not happened, I along with many other people, would have never gotten to see as much of the video presentations and acquire as many autographs as I had. Finally we reached the middle of the table--where Lara was sitting. I bought a picture. It was a zoomed in photo of Angelique's portrait from 1970PT, I believe, where she is wearing that light blue dress and many jewels. When I reached Lara, I had her sign her two books--Angelique's Descent and The Salem Branch, along with the picture I bought. I had more I wished for her to sign, but, having seen others have WAY TOO MANY items, and people behind me were impatient because we'd already waited so long, out of respect for how long I had waited and how long they had waited, I did not get her to sign everything.

She signed Angelique Descent -- "Love to Brandon -- 'Best Witches,' Lara Parker 'Angelique'."

The Salem Branch -- "For Brandon -- Love & 'curses' always, Lara Parker 'Angelique'."

Her picture (my personal fav of her signatures) -- "For Brandon -- My Next Victim, Lara Parker 'Angelique'."

I read through the fest reports from last year, and I remember some person mentioned that Lara seemed a little stuck up, or something. I have to say that I did notice it somewhat. She was nice and everything, but she definitely has a piercing glance that seems to go right through you, much in the fashion of Angelique. I had my picture taken with her as well.

After missing the DS Novels speech with Marilyn Ross, I managed to watch the program called DS The First Year. This included KLS and Conard Fowkes. They were taking questions so I got up and asked "Why do you think DS has the longevity that it does? It's been popular for 40 years now, and can appeal to all generations. I mean, I'm 19..." (at which point KLS has a 'My God' look on her face because I'm a younger fan--then I said).....".....oops, sorry if that makes you feel old." Everyone laughed and KLS got up and said "I think I can handle it," and proceeded to answer my question.

I left but came back just in time for Lara Parker to talk about her new book. I believe it was running a bit late because of her autograph line, so I think everything after that was about an hour late. I also stayed for the Dan Curtis Tribute, which was very interesting. It showed clips from most of the things that he did during his career--movies, television shows, miniseries, etc. At the end they showed a screen which said "In Memory of Our Fearless Leader" and everyone clapped roarously.

After the Dan Curties Tribute, there was an Autograph Session that started about 9pm. I think that my Mom was out in the hallway walking around and saw David Selby come and sit down at his table, so she came and got me and we went out there and I had him sign a couple of books that I brought, as well as a picture of him as Quentin in 1897 that I purchased. I also took a photo with him.

That was the last star that I talked with/met that day. He was very nice and gracious, and seemed like he would be a great person to get to know and be friends with outside of the fest. NODS began sometime later, and my mother and I stayed up to watch that. It ran pretty much on time if I remember correctly, and was maybe 15-20 minutes behind what the schedule listed above stated. Much of the evening activities ran behind because of Lara Parker's long fan line, but I think they pulled her not too long after she was schedule to appear on stage.

A side note: I got the feeling that maybe Lara and Kathryn were in some sort of competition--see who can sell the most books. Kat's husband came over to Lara's table when I was nearly up to her and said something about how Kathryn had sold 500 copies of her new book already. By the time he walked away, I was up to Lara, and she turned to who I guess was her husband and asked what Kat's husband had said. Her husband told her that KLS's hubby said that Kat had sold 500 copies of her book and Lara's response was "Oh, I don't believe that! Not for a minute!" and she turned back to the line and continued signing autographs. The only thing I can say to this is that I may have heard the number wrong. Maybe it was 500 total books, of every book she was selling. I'm not sure. I am sure of Lara's response.

Out of all the stars in attendance, she seemed the least approachable to me, which is a real shame!

I also saw John Karlen walking around numerous times. He, Marie Wallace, and Chris Pennock were all staying on my floor, and I was lucky enough to ride with all of them in an elevator at one point or another, as well as with David Selby and Jerry Lacy. But more on everyone else in the next two posts, which will be appearing tomorrow and Saturday, so be sure to check back!!
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Re: Brandon's 2006 DS Fest Report
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 08:53:50 PM »
Out of all the stars in attendance, she seemed the least approachable to me, which is a real shame!

ITA Brandon!  She's nice, but not very, if you get what I mean.  VERY unapproachable IMHO!  I remember the last Brooklyn Fest in 2003, she was outside the hotel Monday morning w/Craig Hamrick, and I'd wanted to go and say goodbye to Craig, but was afraid she'd get pissed and think I was trying to talk to her!  So I didn't say goodbye to Craig.

I also saw John Karlen walking around numerous times. He, Marie Wallace, and Chris Pennock were all staying on my floor

Johnny was mine and LdyAnne's next door neighbor!  I knew that Chris was also on our floor, but didn't realize Marie was.  KLS was on our floor too, she was down the hall from Johnny and us.  ;)  In a suite of course, hey, Pierson's no dummy, I'll give him that.  He knows what side of his bread is buttered.  ;)

Great report, looking forward to installments 2 & 3!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 12:45:34 AM »
Thank you, Brandon for sharing your report!  I enjoyed your anecdotes of meeting the actors.

ProfStokes

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 01:29:52 AM »
Fabulous report, Brandon! Looking forward to the rest! [clap]
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

David

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 04:52:12 AM »
What a wonderful fest diary, Brandon,
Your Mom sounds so cool.

My love of DS influenced my whole life~~ my interest in classic horror, and my love for romantic stories,  plus my past life as a filmaker, and my current life as a journalist.

But back in the 60s, my Mom did not want me watching DS.
We fought over it a lot.

You are so lucky to have a Mom who loves the same things you do.

David

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Re: Brandon's 2006 DS Fest Report--Fest Part 2
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 06:21:32 AM »
Saturday, August 26th

Schedule of Events

11:00am   DS Fan Videos/DS TV Reunions
12:00pm   Guest- Marie Wallace
12:30       Guest- Betsy Durkin Matthes
1:00         DS Memoribilia Auction I
2:00         Big Finish Presents New DS Dramas
2:30         DS Production Panel
3:00         Guest- David Selby
3:30         Guest-Donna MeKechnie
4:00         DS Cast Reunion
4:30         Nancy Barrett in Cabaret Performance
5:15         Autographs/DS Bloopers
6:00         DS Game Shows
6:30         DS Movie Trailers
7:00         Dark Shadows 2004 TV Pilot
7:45         Dark Shadows In Salem
8:00         Costume Gala/Skit
9:15         Anniversary Video from Jonathan Frid
9:30         House of Dark Shadows
11:00       The Great Ice Rip-Off (1974 Grayson Hall/Dan Curtis film)
12:30am    Horror Classics

Well as you can see from the scheduled events above, Saturday was supposed to be a very busy day, and that it was. We rose early in the morning and readied ourselves for the day.

If you will recall, in Part 1, I described two hallways in which things were set up. Well, in the second hallway, the one without KLS and Lara Parker, there was another set of doors layed out and lettered much in the same fashion as the previous doors I told you about lettered A-I. These doors were locked from the oustide, all except for one pair down very near the dealers room, through which you could walk and into the Grand Ballroom. Inside the Grand Ballrom, there was a large number of chairs set up from the first day. In the front of the room was a stage, to the left of which they had recreated the drawing room set of Collinwood. It was not an exact replica, but it was pretty close, and a real treat to witness and see in person. They also had the Barnabas Collins portrait from HODS that they would be auctioning later, displayed on a stand in the drawing room. So, of course, I took pictures.

We attended the DS Fan Videos/TV Reunions at 11am. These were a real treat to watch. We stayed more for the Fan Videos than for the Reunions. The fan videos were a variety of things. Music videos that you may or may not have heard about, some of which I believe can be viewed on You Tube. They played one about Barnabas and Julia to a familiar song that, I'm sorry to say, has become less familiar to me upon writing this. But it was very entertaining and very funny, and highlighted their relationship or lack thereof, very well. They also played something called Baby Dark Shadows, which was a sort of parody of the original. The MC who did a lot of host, along with Jim Pierson, Richard Halpern, was in it in his younger days. He, along with a few neices and nephews of his played characters like Magda and Sandor, Charity (possessed by Pansy) and Trask, Jamison, Barnabas, Josette, and Angelique. It was VERY funny. They definitely made light of many situations--such as Jamison and Trask putting him in the closet. There was one scene where Halpern was playing Trask and his nephew was playing Jamison. Trask goes over to the closet and opens it up, snatching something out and turning to Jamison and screaming "WHAT IS THIS COAT HANGER DOING IN YOUR CLOSET? WHAT WERE YOU GOING TO USE IT FOR?!!!!" Hilarious!

During the TV Reunions bit, we left and walked around, going into the dealers room. Once you exited the Grand Ballroom, the entrance to the dealers room was to your immediate left. Once entering that room, to your left, the entire wall was lined with tables. They housed fanzines, back copies of ShadowGram, fan books that were put together explaining and highlighted different storylines, along with TONGS of pictures, all of which were for sale. On the far wall, perpendicular to the previously mentioned table, was another line of tables, with a man behind who was selling copies of tapes from previous Fests, along with pictures and T-shirts that were non-DS related. On the right side of the room was MPI's table, which was in sort of a squared-arch shape. They had a number of different things. DVDs, T-shirts, Bobbleheads, Fanny Packs, Totebags, Checkbook covers, wall clocks, original music CDs as well as the CD version of Return to Collinwood, among other small things. We just browsed and then continued on.

At noon, Marie Wallace was scheduled to appear on stage, and she did at that. I just love Marie, and it was absolutely wonderful to sit and listen to her talk. There's just something about her voice, in my opinion, that is very mesmorizing. She talked about her new book "On Stage and In The Shadows," and then read a passage from it that was remotely entertaining. I'm not sure I would pick it up, but the passage was interesting. Betsy Durkin Matthes was next, and we left during her speech and went outside to the "Middle Hall" through which you could enter the "Main Hall" (where KLS and LP were). To my surprise, we discovered that Mr. Jerry Lacy was in the Middle Hall. His line was rather long, so we walked around a little more and later came back when he wasn't busy. Mom took our program books (which we wanted to get all the stars to sign) and had him sign them for us. I wasn't with her, and when he asked who to sign it to, she said "Brandon." He looked up at her and said "Well, where is he? Wasn't he able to make it?" "Yes," she said, "he's in the Grand Ballroom right now." "Well get him out here later!" Jerry exclaimed. Just a little before 1pm, I came out and went over to Jerry's line. I bought a picture of him as Trask, I believe it was Gregory and had him sign it.

"Who's this to?" he asked politely.
"Brandon," I replied. He looked behind me and saw my mother standing there, and recognized her instantly.
"I missed you earlier," he said, looking down and quickly signing the photo.
"I head that. That's why I came out here," I told him. Then I asked to get a picture and he very happily obliged. We took our picture and he thanked me for coming to see him. He was a very polite man, very personable, and he's another one that I wouldn't mind talking with outside of the convention. And he has beautiful penmanship.

Afterwards it was time for the auction at 1pm. We wanted to watch that so we went inside the Grand Ballroom and took our seats. They had anyone who wanted to see the merchandise to line up and we could walk quickly past the table display. They had a number of things from Dan Curtis' office on both days of the auction. Today they had Dan's black leather jacket, a SciFi award, and a number of other things including a book that he used for research on one of his movies. They also had an original blueprint for a floor plan of the sets for a specific episode, among other smaller things. The auction was very interesting, and may items stayed in the lower rangers, below $200.

Big Finish Productions came on next to introduce their new Dark Shadows Audio Dramas. The were from England, and Stuart Manning was one of them. He runs the collinwood.net website, and wrote the first drama. Scott Handcock was also there, and he is the writer of the second drama. They spoke about how the project came about, what it was like getting the stars back together again, and took questions. One person asked if they sold enough would they continue the series, and they answered that as long as it was financially fesable and the series did well like their Dr. Who series, they don't see any reason why they couldn't continue.

The production panel came on next which included George DiGenzo, Stuart Goodman, Jim Butler, and Les Schecter. They spoke about their time on Dark Shadows and entertained questions about the technical aspect of the series. They couldn't answer certain questions, ones particularly about lighting and the like, but they tried their best. Mr. Goodman relayed the familiar story about using plastic wrap and vaseline to create the dreamlike image that we saw many times throughout the show. He also answered a question about how they made people appear and disappear out of scenes. He said that the actor who was going to appear or disappear would stand in one part of the studio in front of a green or blue screen, while the other actors would stand on the set performing the scene. Then when it came time to make the person appear/disappear, they would overlay the person into the actual scene that was being performed.

We stayed in the Grand Ballroom for a long time today, as there were many different things that we wanted to watch. Next was David Selby who came on stage and read a passage from his new book. He read about his mother, then spoke of his father. It was very touching. before he spoke about his father, he said "When I was writing this book, I wrote a passage about my father and how he delt and got by after my mother's death. My father recently passed away last week," there was a collective "Awwww" heard from the crowd, but Selby just waved his hand and said it was all right, then continued with his reading. It was very thought provoking, what he wrote. He wrote about how his father had depended on his mother through their entire life, never having to do housework. And after his mother's death, they hired someone to help him, but his father never liked these people. There were many heartwarming parts and laughter filled the room during other sentences as well. It was clear, to me anyway, that there was a certain small tone of regret in his voice, particularly when he spoke about his father always telling him that he thought David should come home, but David never stayed as long as his father had wished. And when he suggested to his father that he might be happier at a home, and his father refused, it was clear that he wised he had've spent more time with him.

We left during Donna McKechnie's speech around 3:30, and got something to eat knowing that we would be in for a long night, and we wanted to be back in time for the Cast Reunion. We returned in time for the Reunion, and that was certainly a treat to have the entire cast that was there to be up on stage. They went through the line one by one and gave some insight on their time in Dark Shadows and what they were currently up to. Everyone seemed to have a new book out, and when it came time for John Karlen (who was second to last) to speak, he stood up and said "Don't you think it's about time for us to retire?" Laughter ensued. "I haven't done anything in the past years, nothing, not at all." Everytime John spoke on stage or anywhere else laughter always surrounded him, and he truly is a wonderful and generous person.

The case reunion came along, and we had returned to the hotel earlier from getting something to eat and bring it back with us, thus, we were running late getting to the reunion. When we entered the grand ballroom, someone was speaking over the microphone. Taking our seats, I listened to the voice and instantly recognized it as Jonathan Frid's! I looked up on stage and saw that Jim Pierson was holding up a phone to the mic and he was speaking with Jonathan. As some may have mentioned, may were screaming out "We love you!" and clapping and cheering profusely. After the phone call ended, KLS remarked that she had tears in her eyes, and the cast all agreed that it was really great to hear from Jonathan again. We stayed seated for Nancy Barrett's performance, which was--to put it in the best terms I know how--not good, but not bad either. She had to start over at least two times. The first time I think she just missed her cue or something, and the second time she got into a musical number and saw someone who had a video camera and was recording and she said "Turn that off" and started over once more. The show was longer than was necessary, in my opinion, and the only real highlight from her show was when she briefly sang part of Quentin's theme, I Wanna Dance With You, and she sang some song about loving Barnabas and then unrolled a poster of his portrait and hugged it and kissed it, which was rather humorous.

Saturday night's autograph session came up next, and made the rest of the things all night run late. I stood in line for about an hour I believe. This was Nancy Barrett's first night signing autographs, and while we were standing in line they played bloopers from the new "Bloopers and Treasures" DVD inside the Grand Ballroom, which I also got to watch part of. You see, the line formed inside the Grand Ballroom on the left wall, the other side of which was behind the tables at which the actors were sitting. So they simply lined us up and looped us around and out of a door and back down the other side of the wall in the Middle Hallway. David Selby was to the right after you exited the door, and he was by himself so there were several volunteers that were going down the line and asking if there was anyone for David Selby only. Soon after, Donna McKechnie moved over to sit next to David, so my Mom, once we were out of the door, went over to Donna and got her to sign our program books, then handed them off to me because I was in the other line. The line I was in led up to Nancy Barrett, John Karlen, Chris Pennock and Marie Wallace. I only needed Nancy and John, as I had gotten Chris and Marie's early today. I reached Nancy and she got up and left, saying that she was very tired after her performance and needed some rest. I felt sorry for her because when she got up to leave many people left the line and mobbed her, asking for autographs. She was very nice and gradually signed them all before breaking away from the non-existant crowd and heading off with her husband.

Meanwhile, I was still in the line and reached John Karlen whom was happy to sign our program books as well as pose for a picture with me. I stepped out of the line and we went back into the Grand Ballroom, taking our seats. We caught the tail end of the DS Game Show appearances by DS stars, which included Alex Stevens appearing as the Wolf Man and Joan Bennett appearing as herself on some old game show (lol). They soon began showing various movie trailers which are also on the "Bloopers and Treasures" DVD (which I purchased a copy of on Sat, thank god, because they were sold out on Sunday). Soon after they began the 2004 Pilot.

The Pilot--

This deserves it's own section because there's a lot to say about it. The show began with Jim Pierson saying that it could not be videotaped because it was copyrighted material, and asking everyone to put their camera's away and that a guard would be walking about to be sure that everyone obliged. He explained that they had an initial director with whom Dan Curties had worked on the 1991 Revival Series along with a couple other projects, but unfortunately he had to bow out due to some reason or other. So they got another director who's vision was different from the first director's and Dan Curtis', and that it would be particularly apparent in the last scene, and that it was.  With that, the show began.

We open on a young and BLONDE Victoria Winters, sitting on a train headed for Collinsport. She looks out the window, and soon the lights begin flickering on and off. They go off, and Vicki gets up to walk around, hearing her name being called. She moves to the end of the car, looking out the door and inbetween the car she is in and the one behind, she sees a little boy, trapped. He screams out for her to help him, and she tries to open the door but can't. The boy sinks below the window, out of view, and suddenly POPS up as a scary monster demon, with green rotting skin, a few strands of gray stringy hair flying around, and long reaching finers with sharp fingernails at the end. Vicki begins screaming and then she wakes up from her dream to find an old man staring at her.

At the train station, Vicki gets off the train and walks into the rain. She looks around, not sure of where to go, but walks down the sidewalk and to a pay phone where she picks up the reciever. Then someone taps her on the shoulder and she turns around to find Willie Loomis standing there. He introduces himself and says that he's sorry he wasn't there to get her off the train, but that he arrived late. He takes her to Collinwood and drops her off, where Elizabeth recieves her and introduces her to Roger.

Back at the cottage on the Collinwood grounds, Willie is fooling around with his girlfriend. They begin to rip each others clothes off (this is certainly an updated version! Not your grandpa's DS!) and then she stops him, saying that she found a map to where the Collins family jewels are--the family crypt. She wants to go tonight, and threatens a reluctant Willie that if he doesn't go, he can kiss her goodbye.

At the cemetery, they enter the Collins crypt. They look at the map and the clues "The Lion Head Watches The Dove" and she reaches up to grab the dove's head but breaks it off and cuts her hand. Willie reaches up and pushes a hidden button, opening a secret passage. They enter the room and find a coffin. Breaking the chains off the coffin, they lift the lid and find a decayed old body, hands folded over chest in Egyptian style. She doesn't know why this is--the jewels have to be around here somewhere, and tells Willie to help look through the coffin. He says he ain't touchin' that thing, and walks away. She holds the flashlight above the coffin, looking around, and we watch as her blood trickles down the side of the flashlight and across the front, a few drops falling onto the corpse's upper lip. She moves away and pulls a cover off the wall, and gold coins come falling out in a coin-waterfall. The corpse wakes up and Willie is scared, and tries to attack it, but the corpse throws Willie to the ground, holding him there with just his foot on Willie's chest. He grabs Willie's girlfriend and lifts her high into the air, then bends down and bites into her neck. We watch her face fade from being full of life and pink, to being nothing and rotten and green like the corpse was when we saw it in the coffin.

At Collinwood, Vicki is sleeping. She wakes up, hearing water running. She steps onto her floor and walks towards the bathroom, soon stepping in a pool of water. She creaks open the bathroom door and enters, seeing that the tub is overflowing. She looks as if she thinks this is a dream, but bends over the tub and finds little David (who is very very very troubled as his Aunt Liz and Roger had already told Vicki). David SHOOTS up out of the tub, screaming, and Vicki jumps back, allowing David to jump out of the tub and on to the floor and run out of the room. Vicki tracks David down in his room and he is seated on his bed. She sits in a chair, telling him that this will be the last time she will be dealing with something like this, and any time after this his father and Aunt will find out what he's done. "This time is on the house," she says. She tells him that she is not afraid of him, and that she wants to help him and be friends with him. "You should be," (afraid of him) he tells her.

Next scene, we see someone with short, dark hair, sitting on a bench in the hallway of Collinwood. Vicki enters and we find out that the sitting person is Carolyn. (Switch the hair ladies! <g>) Vicki sits next to her and they talk about David. Carolyn says that he is a little terror and tells Vicki in so many words that she can't believe that Vicki took the job. Carolyn gets up to leave and tells Vicki she'll give her a tour of Collinwood tomorrow. As she is walking away, Carolyn rolls her eyes, signaling that she doesn't approve of Vicki.

Joe Haskells boat--Carolyn and Joe are making out, bantering over the fact that this will be the last time they see one another once Joe leaves on his two week boat trip. Soon after, Carolyn leaves the boat. The scene switches so that we see her walking along the street, alone, at night, heading to her car. Something rustles in the trees above her and she look sup, seeing nothing. A few leaves fall to the ground ahead of her, as if something knocked them off the tree. She continues walking, at a brisker pace now, and hears the rustling again. She looks up and sees some kind of dark shadowed thing up there, that is rather large. She reaches her car and begins fumbling with her keys, when, from the top of the screen, two green decaying corpse-like hands SHOOT DOWN and grab her, snatching her up. (Some of the crowd gasped and yelped at this point, scary scary.)

The next morning, Vicki is having breakfast with Liz. Vicki asks Liz if she could provide more background on David, saying that it would help in her befriending him and teaching him. Liz says that all the background she needed was in the files that was sent to her (which she looked over on the train). Vicki says that the file was a start, but that the file mentioned nothing of David's mother, and she is wondering why. Liz gets a stark look across her face, clearly telling us that this is a subject about which they do not speak. Liz eyes a servant who is pouring tea or coffee, and when the servant leaves, Liz tells Vicki the story. David's mother was committed to a mental insitution five years ago, and that they don't speak of it. Vicki asks if she went insane, and just then, the servant bursts through the doorway from the hall, holding the phone, saying it's Carolyn and that she's in trouble.

At the hospital--a room that is reminiscent of an ER set, probably curtosey of John Wells, Dr. Julia Hoffman, the asian version, is working on Carolyn. Joe Haskell and Liz and Roger run up to the trauma bay doors, watching as Carolyn is being worked on. The doctors push Carolyn's bed through the doors and head down the hall, Joe, Liz and Roger following them. They all know Julia already, and are bombarding her with questions--what happened, when did it happen, how is she, will she be all right? Julia stops to talk to them, saying that Carolyn has two suspicious bite marks on her neck. At this time the sheriff comes up. She says the bite marks aren't like anything she has ever seen before.

That night, someone knocks on the door to Collinwood, and it let in. He sees Roger and Liz, and introduves himself as Barnabas Collins, a cousin from England. This entire scene is basically the same exact sence from HODS when Barnabas introduces himself. "Oh you look like the portrait, blah blah." "Can I restore the Old House? blah blah" and th like. Liz and Roger agree, Roger saying that he wants no part of the restoration because he thinks it is a waste of money. Barnabas meets Vicki, and is obviously smitten with her.

Upstairs, David is in his room. He lies, sleeping. Softly, a female voice comes calling his name. He wakes up and looks around. "Mother?" he calls. He looks out the window and, seeing no one, still hears the voice and knows that he must go outside. He runs out of the room, down the hall, and out the front door. David follows the voice to the graveyard, and makes his way to a grave, all the while the woman's voice still calling him. She directs him to save her, to dig her up, and he does so, digging up a skeleton. He sees a dagger with a jeweled hilt stuck in the rib cage and pulls it out. Immediately, at the far end of the shot, a womanly figure surrounded with light appears. "Mother is that you?" David calls. "It is m, but not as you remember," she answers. We have a close up on her face, and though it is shrouded in darkness, we see that her face is heavily decayed and ugly, much like the corpse that we saw earlier. She advances on him, her arms outstreched, and takes her in his arms, saying that she loves him. By this time, she is now looking like a flesh and blood woman, with "fire read hair and dark eyes", long finger nails, and an interesting outfit. She is beautiful.

At Collinwood, David comes running in screaming, knowing that the woman he met in the graveyard was trying to kill him. Vicki, Liz, and Roger appear, and see that David is still holding the dagger he pulled from the ground. Vicki and Liz try to calm him, to find out what happened, but he continues screaming and Roger grabs him by the shoulders and shakes him hard, telling him to stop the nonsense and go upstairs! The two women give him evil glances.

Later, Vicki goes in to check on David, finding that he is not in his room. She moves over to the window and sees him running down the hill behind Collinwood. She yells out for him to stop, but he just turns and looks at her and continues. She chases after him, chasing him to the Old House, where they enter. Willie comes out and tells them they have to leave, and Vicki remarks on how different he looks. He's lost the glasses he wore earlier, and looks a lot better. He says nothing, and barnabas enters from behind them. He says hello, and David moves back, obviously afraid of him. Vicki takes the dagger from David and David tells Vicki they should go home now. "He's evil!" David screams. Vicki tells Barnabas that she's sorry for the intrusion, she loves how the place is coming along, but that she needs to get David back home. Barnabas says thaat Willie can take him, that he has something he wants to show her. Willie obliges, and David willingly goes back to Collinwood with him.

Barnabas takes Vicki upstairs to Josette's room and shows her Josette's portrait and her music box, which Vicki opens and plays the music to. The musix box is not the same as the original one, but is instead a base white box with a lid that opens, and some kind of design on the outside. Vicki says that the music and portrait are very beautiful, and Barnabas tells her that she looks very much like Josette. Vicki is still holding the dagger and Barnabas asks where she got it. She says that David found it when he ran out of the house the other night. She tells barnabas that David came back screaming about a woman who had "fire red hair and very black eyes". Barnabas looks startled, and Willie reappears, Vicki says that she needs to go, and gives Barnabas the dagger. He is startled and Willie asks him what's wrong, and barnabas said that they buried her long ago with this dagger left in her heart. Willie asks who, and Barnabas answers "Angelique."

Later during the night, Vicki is sleeping in her room and Barnabas enters through the window. He walks over towards her bed and does the routine "Oh Josette, Josette, you've come back to me blah blah blah" and all that jazz and Vicki wakes up. Before she can catch a glimpse of him, Barnabas is out the window and is nowhere to be seen. Vicki gets up and goes to the window and sees that there is nothing, while the camera angle allows us to see that Barnabas is sticking to the side of the house just above her window, in the Spiderman fashion.

Vicki is driving down the road. She is going rather fast, and goes around a turn. She looks further down the road and finds a woman in a red dress, Angelique, standing there, and can't help but to hit her head on. Angelique crashes up and into the windsheild with her head, and remains there, unconscious as Vicki swerves off the road and runs into a tree. Vicki's head has hit the steering wheel and she was knocked out. The horn blares loudly. Soon she wakes up, touching her soft head, being careful of the wound. She looks and see Angelique's body laying along the hood of her car, and Angelique's head sticking through the windshield. Angelique stirs slightly, then her head SHOOTS up and she looks, wide-eyed and bloody-faced at Vicki. She opens her mouth, revealing sharp teeth (think Headless Horseman in the movie Sleepy Hollow, with Johnny Depp) and sort of hisses at Vicki. Vicki SCREAMS aloud, and Angelique screams along with her, in a very scary scene. Unfortunately, when Vicki screams again, so does Angelique, and this pattern goes on--Vicki screams, Angelique screams, Vicki screams, Angelique screams--for at least 5 repetitions. While it was scary at first, it now becomes funny, and many people, including myself, laugh.

The episode ends, and we see "Executive Producers: Dan Curties & John Wells" appear on the screen. Everyone clapped. I thought the episode was very well done, and it's a shame that the series didn't get picked up. The actress who played Liz was spot on with the tones and looks that Joan Bennett used to give to Roger when she played Liz. The actor who played Roger was slightly off, but I could've gotten used to it. I really loved Vicki's being strong and telling David like it was--I'm not going to take this crap--instead of saying "I don't understand!" It was a welcome change in her character. David was different, very much so, from the original series. He actually seemed to be troubled here, like FOR REAL, and was very intriguing in the way he was portrayed. Barnabas was very well done by Alec Newman, and the only bad thing I have to say about him was that he mad ethe scene where he said "Josette, you have returned to me," seem cheesy, instead of making it look like Barnabas was longing for Josette. It seemed to me as if Angelique was David's mother, or maybe she was just pretending to be. Overall, it was very exciting, and I would have definitely watched it if it had been picked up. It had a scary-movie quality to it, while being completely different from anything else currently out there, much in the Dark Shadows fashion.

The Fest con't--

Before the 04 Pilot, I believe they showed DS in Salem, which was hosted by Lara Parker. This was a short 15-20 minute video about her research for her new book when she went to Salem, Mass. It was rather boring (no talkshow for you!!). After this they showed Jonathan Frid's video greeting. It was so great to see him again! and he looks great! It was entertaining in the first part, but once he started his Shakespeare reading he lost my interest. I love his readings, but there was just too much other stuff going on, so I got up.

By this time, everything was running VERY VERY late, like an hour and a half late. So even though HODS was supposed to being at 9:30, I don't think it began until around 11 or later, because I didn't return to my room that night until around 2am, and the other two movies still hadn't been shown yet.

More to come!!
Brandon Collins

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 06:24:16 AM »
What a wonderful fest diary, Brandon,
Your Mom sounds so cool.

My love of DS influenced my whole life~~ my interest in classic horror, and my love for romantic stories,  plus my past life as a filmaker, and my current life as a journalist.

But back in the 60s, my Mom did not want me watching DS.
We fought over it a lot.

You are so lucky to have a Mom who loves the same things you do.

Tell me about it!!

And DS has also helped to influence me to love writing horror and mystery and suspense. I am interested in getting in the TV biz because of DS and other shows, and I'm constantly writing scripts! I've even written a Teaser and Act One for a new DS pilot. I blew myself away! I just re-read it the other day and I couldn't believe how much I liked it! (Usually I don't really like my own work that much. lol)
Brandon Collins

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 06:35:46 AM »
Just wanted to say that I've read the first sixth or so, and hope to get through more, but my eye thing makes it slow going for me.    i'm grateful for con reports like this.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 07:48:04 PM »
Just wanted to say that I've read the first sixth or so, and hope to get through more, but my eye thing makes it slow going for me.    i'm grateful for con reports like this.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. Many people have told me that long and detailed fest reports are very welcome because it makes those who can't be there feel like they were there, and that's what I'm trying to do!

I understand about not being able to read through it all at once! It's hard just typing it all out at once! The second one is the longest because it includes the in-depth look at the 2004 Pilot, so that makes it quite a bit longer that Parts 1 and 3!
Brandon Collins

Offline Widows Wail

• Junior Poster
  • .. and things that go bump in the night..
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 08:30:53 PM »
I'm glad you're enjoying it. Many people have told me that long and detailed fest reports are very welcome because it makes those who can't be there feel like they were there, and that's what I'm trying to do!

I really appreciate what your doing here, You are very fortunate to have been able to attend the Festival and  those of us who were unable to attend are also fortunate you were there! Thanks!
"All I can say is, Barnabas Collins must be a wonderful man." - Mrs. Johnson

Widows Wail

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Re: Brandon's 2006 DS Fest Report-- Part 3
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 08:56:02 PM »
Sunday, August 27th

Schedule of Events:

11:00am   DS Fan Panel
12:00pm   Guest - Diana Millay
12:30       Guest - Chris Pennock
1:00         DS Memoribilia Auction II
2:00         Remembering Grayson Hall
2:30         Guest - Jerry Lacy
3:00         Guest - Kathryn Leigh Scott
3:30         Dark Shadows 1991 Screen Tests
4:00         Guests - Dark Shadows Cast Presents First and Last Episodes Live on Stage
5:00         Autographs
7:00         Banquet Dinner with the Stars

Another late morning, and boy was I ever thankful! After having stayed up until 2am the previous night to watch HODS, I was definitely tired. I can only imagine what those who stayed up all night to watch all the movies felt like.

We didn't get downstairs until sometime after 11am. I think it was around 11:15 or so, and Marcy Robin was on stage, seated in the drawing room, speaking about a number of different things. She talked about the fest, how it came to be, and how exciting it was that there were still fans out there and that the fanbase is evergrowing. She took questions, and a number of things were asked. The thing that stood out for me the most, however, was a man who asked about Jonathan Frid. He asked Marcy why Frid doesn't come to the fests any longer. Marcy seemed stumped at first, but in actuality I'm sure she was trying to formulate an answer that wouldn't offend the fans nor betray Frid's privacy and believes. I thought what she finally said was particularly adequate.

She said, and I'm paraphrazing here, that Frid was greatful that he had gotten the part of Barnabas, and that he realized what it did for his career. But, he was always a Shakespearen actor, and even though he played Barnabas for a good long while, Shakespeare was what he was always about. She explained that actors and actresses tend to get typecast in certain roles once they play a character for a number of years, and the Frid was afraid of this happening, and that it would not allow him to go along the route he wished to pursue. She said that he did attend a number of fests when they first sprang about, but that here lately he's retired and he's just trying to live a quiet life. Now, I'm sure that many weren't happy with this response, but come on! I'm sure it would be troublesome for him to do so, livin in Canada. Personally, I was estatic that at my first fest not only did he send a video, but he also talked over the phone to us as well! Good enough for me!!

Diana Millay was next, and mom and I left the room. I believe we went out for lunch. That's not important. But, what I can tell you about is our experience with Diana. I don't remember what day it was on--possibly Friday--but my mom went out to get her autograph while I was doing something else. (Let me just mentin here that I would never have gotten all the autographs without my moms help and her going to one line while I stayed in the other). Anyway, my mom took our program books up to her table and placed them down in front of her, saying hello. Diana looked up and said "Well what do you want me to do with these?" and my mom asked her to sign them. She wrote "Hi Brandon" in mine, and then looked up to my mom again. "Should I write my name?" and my mom said yes. This may seem normal to those of you who are reading this, but mom says that Diana seemed weird, a little off, or something. Not your normal everyday cookie.

Anyway, now that we're out of THAT flashback, we returned with our lunch and are it, finishing during Chris Pennock's time on stage. I wanted to see what he had to say, so we went into the Grand Ballroom, and he was reading one of his comic books. I didn't know anything about what his comic books were about, and he assumed that we had all just already read them. Apparently, judging from the way they looked on his table, not only did he write them but he drew them as well. His comic was very odd--he talked about blowing up some building, and made light of some things from DS--the only funny parts. He said that after he played Gabriel, he was going to be written off the show, but that Dan Curtis called him in his office and sai "Chris, our ratings are down! So I've decided to invent a totally stupid and incomprehensible storyline to go with, and you're in it!" Everyone laughed.

The second part of the auction was next. Today they had a number of different things. They had another blueprint from and episode, which showed what sets they would be using that day and where they would be placed within the studio. They also had an unopened copy of HODS, that was still in the plastic wrap foil stuff. Tey had one Barnabas dool, dressed in present day clothes, which Jim Pierson said that they were sold out of and didn't make anymore. That fetched over $100. They also had two Quentin dolls and one Barnabas 1795 doll that they had been selling over the two previous days, and had also sold out of. These were selling for $35 a piece, which is a good deal, IMO, from what they cost directly from the manufacturer. These went for a little under $100. Last, but certainly not least by any means, was the Barnabas portrait from HODS. This brought in a wopping $13,000! There were a number of bidding wars between a number of different people. Normal, everyday people were bidding $6500! $8500! etc, and I wondered if they were just trying to drive up the price of it they were really serious. An old woman in the front row was firm and solid throughout all the different bidders that bid on the portrait, and she won it for the $13,000. She was dressed expensively, with some obviously pricey jewelry strung around her neck, wrists, and fingers. I heard from Tim, mentioned in DS Fest Pt 1, who was a volunteer at the fest, that she was a lawyer. Ah, no wonder she could afford it. Many people ran up and took last minute pictures of the portrait, fearing that she would take it to her room or something, but she got up on stage and posed with it, and allowed others to post with it as well.

We left during the Remembering Grayson Hall thing, during which I believe the woman who premiered her new book about Grayson got up on stage and spoke. We went into the dealers room, where MPI was located, and looked around. They had DVD sets on sale for $30 a piece, and you can imagine that I bought some!! Who wouldn't!!? I couldn't believe this price, given that it is half off of their regular price and cheaper than Amazon or DeepDiscount. I also wanted a couple of bobbleheads they had, but alas, they weren't on sale just yet. We walked around a little more, and I spotted Craig Hamrick sitting behind a table, so I abruptly stopped and got him to sign my copy of "Barnabas & Company". Remember earlier in DS Fest Pt 1 that I mentioned that I wanted to buy a copy of the "DS Collectibles" book, but when I returned later to KLS's table, she was sold out. Thankfully, Mr. Hamrick had ONE copy left at his table, and I snatched it up and had him sign it as well. (Thanks Craig, we miss you!!)

Returning to the Grand Ballroom, I saw Trask...er...I mean Jerry Lacy on stage seated in the drawing room. He had been on for a while  now, and was taking questions from the fans. He was very gracious and entertaining, though unfortunately I don't remember what the questions were. They ended not long after we had come back into the Grand Ballroom.

We ran out to the dealers room where MPI was located. I wanted to come back to see if they had marked anything else down so that it would be dirt cheap (sort of). THey had marked the bobbleheads down, but had also run out of Angelique and Quentin, so they only had Barnabas, Josette, and the Wolfman left. They were marked down to $20 so I bought Barnabas and Josette. I ran upstairs to my room and got my Quentin doll and had David Selby sign it, then ran over to KLS, just before she was heading inside to get on stage, and had her sign my Josette bobble.

KLS was next on stage, for her fourth time this weekend I believe. She spoke a little more about her book and then took questions. Someone asked her how long it took to do the makeup for the Ghost of Josette, when Barnabas brought her back from the dead in 1795, and she said it took only an hour and a half, and praised the makeup artist that they had. She laughed and made a joke about how she had an eye hanging down on her face.

After she left the stage, they played screen tests from the 1991 DS Revival, I suppose to kill time while the stars rehearsed for their live on stage performance that came up next. They had screen tests for Roger, Barnabas, Vicki, and David. The highlight of this reel was when Ben Cross was auditioning for the part of Barnabas opposite the woman who eventually played Vicki. The scene was Barnabas giving Vicki Josette's music box, but the music box was merely an empty soda can, and everyone roared with laughter.

The recreations of the first and last episodes came up next. In the first episode, David Selby played Roger, Lara Parker played Vicki, Marie Wallace played Liz, Donna Wandrey played the woman on the train that sat next to Vicki, and the director of the foundling home, Nancy Barrett played Sandy (Vicki's friend at the foundling home), John Karlen played Burke Devlin, Chris Pennock played the man Devlin had check out the Collinses, and Jerry Lacy played the hotel clerk. There were several highlights here which included Donna Wandrey playing her dual roles. The roles were back to back--Vicki was talking to the older woman on the train, then has her flashback to the foundling home. When the transition needed to be made from one to the other, Wandrey stepped back from the mic and did a little two-step spin in one direction the first time and another direction the second time, and everyone roared with laughter. The second highlight was Lara Parker uttering Vicki's very first "I don't understand." She looked directly into the crowd with a smile on her face and said the line, and everyone laughed.

In the last episode, everyone played their original roles, except for a few. Jerry Lacy played Bramwell, Chris Pennock played Morgan, Marie Wallace played Flora and David Selby played the ghost of Brutus. There were a number of different hilarious highlights here. Rich Halpern read the narrators part i.e. Bramwell enters the room. When the scene came up when Bramwell is tracking Morgan and Catherine to the roof, and he goes through the secret passage and finds a handkercheif, Jerry Lacy came up to the mic, looked to the floor, and picked up the pretend hanky saying "OOH! A handkerchief!!" and returned to his seat. Chris Pennock was wonderful as Morgan, using his forfinger and thumb as the gun present during the scene, and when the moment called for him to use Catherine as a shield, or to grab her and pull her away, he did it to much hilarious avail. David as Brutus was very well done--they made the sound effects of the ghost's voice echoing and everything, and it was very very spooky.

This ran slightly late, and the autograph session and banquet thickets line was to being at 5pm. However, the recreation of the episodes lasted until around 5:20, and my mom, forever the standby, missed half of the last episode to go out and stand in the banquet tickets line so we wouldn't have to stand there forever. This is the part that irks me. They were scheduled to being giving out the tickets at 5pm. However, they didn't start until after the episodes ended at 5:20. YOu would think that they would've begun before that, because they already had a long line, and by the time they had gotten through the line that was currently there, they would have been just in time for the episodes to be over. I had gotten up before the episodes ended and walked to the back of the room to stand by the door to watch, so  could dart out the door and get in line. I did just that, and there were several people in front of us asking the workers behind the table if they were going to start because it was after 5pm. Not one of them paid any attention to us until the flood of people was released from the Grand Ballroom. Geez!!

We came downstairs just about 7pm for the banquet, and discovered that the line was extremely long. KLS had just changed and emerged from the door to the left of her window stand--where she was seeling the pictures. Someone was cleaning up her table, as that was the only thing left out, and she made her way through the line a couple times, zig-zaging in and out, and she looked directly at us and said "I don't know what's going on! I'm confused--there are just so many people!" and she laughed and we did along with her. Once we finally got into the ballroom we were steated at table #40, way in the back of the room. There was something like 45 tables with at least 8-10 people at each table, and most of the stars sat up front somewhere. Marie Wallace and Donna Wandrey took the stage to call out the door prizes. They had one of those gold raffle tickets things that you spin around and mix the tickets up in, and when Marie tried to spin it, it spun off its stand, hit the stage, and crashed to the floor below. She was all laughs about it and so was the audience. Marie instructed everyone to count off from number 1, going around the table. She picked a ticket from the ticket bin, which represented a table, and then Donna picked a number from a bowl which represented a seat. The prizes included a copy of "Written and Directed by Dan Curtis," with the new supplement that highlighted what he did in the last 2 years of his life. These books retailed for $15-20 in the dealers room, and wherever else they were selling them I believe. Other prizes included the number 25 DVD set for someone at our table from Tampa, and t-shirts, and other things.

The banquet was rather nice. They had a green salad with ceaser dressing and crutons waiting for us on the table, along with freshly baked bread. It was hard on the outside, but good nonetheless. THe main course was a boneless chicken breast, that tasted like it had been seared in mustard or something, which shredded carrots, squash, and zuccini in a cute little colorful pile, along with some sort of gravy for the chicken. The dessert was cheescake, with a bit of fruit topping. It was all very delicious, even though the chicken did run slightly late. Jim Pierson joked "That's what you all get for not being vegans!"

They replied the Jonathan Frid video during the banquet, and played Dan Curtis' PSA about alzheimers which was very heart-wrenching. Towards the end, a few people spotted Jim Pierson over in the corner by the door through which everyone entered. There was a number of boxes piled there behind a table, and he was starting to unpack some. We went over, because I told mom that if we didn't we would miss the negatives from the episodes that they were giving out, as many did. We went over and Jim was unpacking some smaller boxes that had calenders from 01 and 03 as well as the program book for the 1998 fest, and the supplement to the Dan Curtis book mentioned earlier. He asked if someone could take the plastic wrap off them, and mom and I were happy to help. We unwrapped all the things he put out on the table, and arranged them. We moved behind the table to get a better handle on things (mistake!) and soon we werre mobbed by people who asked what they could take and all that. We were instructed to tell everyone that they could take one of each thing on the table (4 items total per person) and told nothing about the kinescope negatives piled behind us. People began taking the, and soon Jim returned and told everyone to sit down, that they were supposed to pick these things up upon exiting the room. So, of course, many people said they were leaving and got their kniescope copy of an episode and returned to their seat. We left Jim there, and took our kinescope copies--we got episodes 114 and 250. Jim soon abandoned his post, knowing that there was no way he was going to control all those people who wanted one.

Apparently they didn't have enough of them for everyone at the banquet. Either that, or some people took more than they should have. So Jim got up on stage and said that they were out, and that if you didn't recieve one that they'd be taking names and addresses and they would ship one to you. He said that the warehouse needed to be cleaned out, and that these were just sitting there doing nothing so that's why he was giving them out.

We returned to our room and changed our clothes, stuck with the chore of finding out how to fit these kinescope reels in our suitcases. They weigh like 5 pounds a piece, and there are two reels inside the metal can, which has the original paper that says ABC Dark Shadows on it, with handwritten notes about each reel. One reel is the music and the other is the actual episode.

Overall, my first fest was a very productive and exciting one. I unfortunately didn't get to meet that many people outside of the starrs, but the people I did meet were just wonderful. I can't wait to go to another, and hopefully I will be able to go again soon! Thanks for reading!
Brandon Collins