Author Topic: Lara Parker's Retrofan Interview  (Read 323 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Lara Parker's Retrofan Interview
« on: November 03, 2021, 05:34:55 PM »
Lara Parker's interview in Retrofan #17 is currently on sale at Barnes and Noble and other outlets.

It's a fairly long interview, conducted by Rod Labbe, who used to post here back in the day. Her time on the series is glossed over for the most part. While the story of how Lara got on the show, her characterization of Angelique is certainly well known to most, if not all, hard-core DS fans, I don't know how interested new or casual readers are going to be that interested in her writing career but that's what a lot of the interview is about. She states that she intentionally chose to downplay the horror aspect of DS in her books because she regarded it as "a mysterious, supernatural romance." As long as she doesn't go too far from the established canon, the arrangement with the Dan Curtis estate allows her to create new characters and new locations. But she would "never" do anything to damage the show's reputation.
She said that Angelique's Descent was the most successful of her books in terms of sales. But The Salem Branch, which she feels is her best work, sold the least.
The topic of the Burton movie is addressed. She and the others were eager to do the film but ultimately disappointed that they weren't used more. This may well have something to do with Jonathan's health at the time. She says that he was having difficulty standing and there's probably some truth to that. KLS seems to be holding him up at the door. Still, it would have been nice if they had a little more to do. Maybe even some dialog.
She's less than complimentary about the movie itself. Lara felt that the film spent too much time on Barnabas being a fish out of water and not enough time on other things. She cites the lack of a connecting story, instead of a "series of elaborate set pieces."
She seems to have mellowed considerably on Darren McGavin. While she does state that he was less than amiable, she seems more understanding about the pressure of being the lead actor on a show that was not doing well.
To summarize, it's a decent interview. There are some excellent articles in the issue on Mad Monster Party, The Haunting and George of the Jungle. Retrofan costs $9.95, which I guess is the norm for genre magazines these days.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Lara Parker's Retrofan Interview
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 06:47:39 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, Uncle Roger. Tuesday I'm planning to drop by the Barnes & Noble in Braintree, MA on my way home from a meeting in Boston, so hopefully I'll find a copy there to check out...

Offline McTrooper

• NEW ASCENDANT
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
    • Fan Made Lego Comics - Clay and Dona
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 09:27:35 PM »
Darren McGavin?  Was that about when she was on
Kolchak: The Night Stalker
Episode:  The Trevi Collection

I saw that episode on SciFi before it was called Sifi (or whatever).

OR was it related to some other situation?
Barnabas: Your hair smells like mint today.
Julia: Yeah, I gargled today.
Barnabas: Huh???!!!!

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 09:59:24 PM »
It was definitely in reference to The Night Stalker. At one of the festival Q and A sessions, she addressed the topic. McGavin, who could never be described as a shrinking violet, attempted to direct her. He had no idea who she was and was unfamiliar with Dark Shadows and told Lara that she didn't know how to play horror/camp.
McGavin's ego was well known throughout the industry. He and Burt Reynolds co-starred in any early 1960's series called Riverboat. Reynolds left the show abruptly. Apparently, they clashed big time. When asked to comment on his working relationship with McGavin, Burt said that McGavin would be in for a big surprise on the first Easter after his death.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 10:26:06 PM »
When asked to comment on his working relationship with McGavin, Burt said that McGavin would be in for a big surprise on the first Easter after his death.

Is that supposed to be an easily understood statement from Reynolds. I have no clue what his point was - and I was raised Catholic. But maybe I was out sick the day they explained what's supposed to happen on the first Easter after your death.  [confused5]

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 01:21:10 AM »
I believe that Burt felt that McGavin saw himself as all powerful, with godlike qualities. And, unlike Jesus, he would not be resurrected from the dead.
Burt certainly had a way with words but he had egotism issues of his own.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline McTrooper

• NEW ASCENDANT
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
    • Fan Made Lego Comics - Clay and Dona
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 01:42:03 AM »
Thank you for the explanation Uncle Roger.   [hall2_smiley]

Barnabas: Your hair smells like mint today.
Julia: Yeah, I gargled today.
Barnabas: Huh???!!!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2021, 02:12:52 AM »
I believe that Burt felt that McGavin saw himself as all powerful, with godlike qualities. And, unlike Jesus, he would not be resurrected from the dead.

Ah - that would explain it.

I may have been raised Catholic, but I've been a lapsed Catholic for more decades than I care to count. I thought maybe I had forgotten some sort of Catholic doctrine that that remark should have made me remember. But no. Good to know...

And then again, maybe McGavin wasn't any type of Christian. Perhaps he felt his godlike qualities were bestowed upon him from some other spiritual belief entirely. In which case, the surprise might have been on Reynolds after McGavin's death.  [hall2_wink]

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2021, 03:01:39 AM »
I've probably been a lapsed Catholic longer than you, MB. And I live next door to a Catholic church.
Fade Away and Radiate