Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0508  (Read 5184 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0508
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 01:09:32 AM »
By the way, I always thought it was silly for blind people to wear sunglasses, even indoors. [ghost_wacko] I guess maybe it's so others can see them and know to steer clear of them?  [ghost_huh]

Some wear them to keep their eyes hidden, but more often dark glasses are worn to help block out bright light and glare, which can be distracting or uncomfortable in blind persons that still have light perception.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 07:05:48 AM »
1) Carolyn's age. I think the first time they fudged on that was long before the Leviathan period: it was when Elizabeth was telling the story in 1968 of Paul last night at Collinwood.  It seems to me the idea was that Carolyn was already born when Paul quit the scene.

Ah, yes - that's true. Now that you mention it, not only does Paul indicate in the '67 flashback to '49 that Carolyn is two (which jibes with Leviathans), but I seem to recall Jason laying it on thickly while telling Carolyn how much Paul loved her. Though in my defense, and as I and others have opined on the forum, some of us have tended to think of the dating in that storyline as an aberration if only because it conflicts with most of what came both before and after it. As I and others have also mentioned on the forum, our rule of thumb when it comes to inconsistencies on DS is to go with what's mentioned most often, and in most instances within the storylines the indications are most often consistent with Carolyn being 17 at the start of the series. (And actually, another thing that's odd and aberrant about the Jason/Liz blackmail period is the listings in the family bible because the ep in which Liz writes in the date of her death aired in July, yet Liz writes the month/day of her death as April 10th.  [hdscrt]  ::)  That's the only time in DS history when a month that's somehow referenced on the show doesn't correspond exactly to the month an ep actually aired.) 

But, after establishing that she was 2, they make sure to show Paul the picture of Carolyn as a young girl (I think they say 8 years) and then he sees the girl and tries to follow her.  Of course, the picture could just have been how she looked at 8 after he had been gone for a while, but I think it was indicated or implied that it was how he would have remembered her.
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 07:23:30 AM »
You're thinking of Ep #908 during Leviathans - Lydia and I were talking about the '67 Jason/Liz blackmail period.  [ghost_wink]  However, when David shows Paul that photo album, he specifically mentions that it contains photos taken after Paul had already left Collinwood.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
Re: Discuss - Ep #0508 (Carolyn's Age)
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 09:13:10 AM »
Carolyn's tombstone said "Dec. 8, 1948" in an episode I've completely lost track of, but have the picture.  Then again, it was just a dream...

Judy
[9366]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
The date Lennon died in 1980.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0508 (Carolyn's Age)
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 09:49:06 PM »
Then again, it was just a dream...

Well, there's no such thing as just a dream in DS.  [ghost_wink]  Dreams are very informative. And even a just plain weird one set in a fun house hall of mirrors serves an important purpose. (And I still say that whoever came up with the concept for that one had to be smoking some grade-A stuff!  [ghost_grin])

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 12:00:43 PM »
Yes, in Ep #478 we see Cassandra calling for the start of the Dream Curse and proclaiming it will begin with Maggie. She picks a leaf from the branch hanging outside Collinwood's drawing room window...:
Oh, yes, I forgot.  At the time I was totally preoccupied with the mechanics of attaching a fake leaf to a fake tree so that it could later be plucked.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 06:39:46 PM »
At the time I was totally preoccupied with the mechanics of attaching a fake leaf to a fake tree so that it could later be plucked.

I can definitely see how that could happen.  [ghost_grin]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 07:02:42 PM »
At the time I was totally preoccupied with the mechanics of attaching a fake leaf to a fake tree so that it could later be plucked.

I think about those kinds of things all the time, now.    I really shouldn't-- it's distracting-- but I can't stop.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2008, 05:32:46 AM »
It's amazing how Prof. Stokes can be so utterly vain, yet so lovable at the same time.  He's the kind of person who inspires such confidence through his own self-assurance that you want to have him around in a time of crisis.