Author Topic: Old Article  (Read 2519 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Old Article
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2002, 11:01:02 PM »
How did I do? LOL.

You did just fine, kid.  You're really getting the hang of this Moderater stuff! ;)

Raineypark

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2002, 12:44:29 AM »
How did I do? LOL. I hope I helped you to sort this out somewhat.

Give Dom a cigar (preferably not a Cuban if you're in the United States). ;)

--Mark[/b][/color]

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2002, 01:00:39 AM »
I think I am one of the posters that you are thinking of, I know I did one about Davis that after I had posted, I realized may have been out of the guidelines. I really didn't question it while I was writing it, but as I hit "Post" the question popped into my head. I know that we CAN go back and change posts now (unlike a while ago), but I decided to let it go and let Midnite be the judge. I know it was on for a while, but maybe it was eventually deleted, I'm not sure. I decided that either way was OK with me.

I have had other posts selected for deletion in the past though, so I really don't think that any of us are immune from that unless our posting is unquestionably within the guidelines.

My understanding of the guidelines are that they are NOT to prevent anyone from getting their feelings hurt ever. I've heard that some actors can't read reviews without getting their feelings hurt, so they don't read reviews. Similarly, I would guess that someone in the public eye would have to decide if they are able to handle reading what the public thinks of them in fan forums. Acting is notoriously difficult for the insecure, think of the audition process, then if they make the cut, the critics. And then here we are 30 years later, STILL making remarks about performances!!! Gak!

I am really looking forward to perusing the snarky site Luciaphil was kind enough to share with us!

"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2002, 01:01:18 AM »
This question has been on my mind for awhile.

Then I'm glad you asked it. :D

How come there are a couple of DS people who seem to be exempt from the board guidelines regarding personal attacks?  It's like, it's not considered appropriate to post something that could be hurtful to someone, but it's allowed if it's something about Roger Davis??

No one is exempt from any board guidelines, including the ones addressing personal attacks, and that applies to both forum members and DS personnel.

I've heard comments from some posters that they decline saying anything negative about certain actors' performances because the latter has one or more staunch fans reading the boards, and as Dom mentioned, it's a matter of personal choice.  I think this is admirable-- it shows a genuine concern for others on the boards-- but on the other hand, the official policy is that anyone has a right to share their opinions here and any attempts to intimidate someone else to keep them from expressing their opinion won't be tolerated.

So, I wonder, well...how does anyone know someone close to him, or a family member doesn't see this board occasionally?  Apparently he married a fan, so it's conceivable his wife could read this board.  Not likely, but possible nonetheless.  No?  I mean, if I were his wife, I would find a great many things said about him on here, quite hurtful.  I know it could be said, "well, even a couple of actresses from the show have made disparaging comments about him in public, so it's all right".  But does that make it all right then?  See?  I'm confused.

I wouldn't call it unlikely that an actor or their loved ones could come across such remarks.  I haven't seen any evidence whatsoever that would lead me to believe that RD reads this forum, but I know he has read comments in the past that were made about him on other message boards, and I think it would naive to believe that anything said on an internet forum about a person will never be seen by them.  As far as reading them here goes, though at the current time only registered members are allowed to read the forums, some have registered anonymously, and neither you nor I know the identity of all members, and rightly so.  In addition, when the forum is reopened to guest traffic in the near future, everything said now will be archived (you have only to check out Current Talk I, II, and III to find evidence of this) and it'll therefore be available for guests to read at that time.  So posters would be wise to keep in mind that what's said on an internet forum is hardly private.  That also applies to sharing personal information about yourselves.

I guess I'm wondering if I'm totally missing something or my interpretation of things is off.  For example:  There's a popular actress from the show whose acting I think is quite poor.  I don't think I would ever post that opinion though, because it doesn't seem appropriate and it might fall under a guideline.  Would it??

If you mean would it violate a guideline to give your opinion about a popular actress on the show, my answer is no-- you absolutely have the right to diss the acting of any actor or actress.  However, there's a good chance your opinion will get debated, which is of course perfectly within everyone else's rights too.

Eloquence isn't my strong point so please bear with me. I am going to take for granted that what you wrote is what you meant and respond accordingly. I've been active on the forum just a few weeks and have started paying strict attention to each and every post as a "moderator in training," if you will, for less than two weeks so I am bringing to the table little knowledge of what has transpired here before my arrival concerning issues about personal attacks on Roger Davis. I may have to defer to Midnite to answer your concerns regarding that issue specifically. I don't recall seeing any such posts.

What's this about eloquence not being your strong point, sweetie?

All I can add to what's already been said is that if there's something you've read about RD, DC or any DS actor that you feel was a comment about their personal behavior as opposed to private, then please feel free to point it out to me.  Otherwise, I honestly can't think of an example of an inappropriate personal attack in a post.  The incidents that come to my mind were comments about public behavior (i.e., in the case of Roger Davis:  a performance, his behavior in front of a Fest audience, or published comments about him made by fellow actors).

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2002, 01:24:14 AM »
You know, when I first watched DS, as a teenager, I thought Roger Davis was pretty romantic, too--but only in his Peter Bradford persona.  Once he arrived as Jeff Clark, I started to wonder what Vicki saw in him; all the "romance" had disappeared.  

I did think Ned's treatment of his sister was very odd, way too physical, almost intimate--and it disturbed me and made me uncomfortable.

Now, watching him from an adult's viewpoint, I can't help but imbue ALL his characters with the worst traits of Roger Davis himself, even Peter Bradford.

However, I LOVED Roger Davis as Dirk Wilkins, especially "AV".  His performance is over the top, yet somehow thoroughly enjoyable.  He adds just the right touch of menace mixed with humor to the role.  

As for RD himself, I bought some of his wares and he was very nice to me.  I can't afford any of his real estate, however, I'm sorry to say.  Whatever you want to say about the man, he apparently knows how to make money.

Love, Robin  

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2002, 10:22:23 AM »
This reply is off topic, but:

We don't. I don't know how many of you here are familiar with Television Without Pity (Josette and Scout75 a few others are 'cause I've seen you there 8))

I just thought I'd mention that I've never even heard of Television Without Pity, so it must have been someone else! :)
Josette

Connie

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2002, 01:59:10 PM »
[wavey]

Whoa...all these lengthy responses!  Ya know, I feel kind of stupid.  I DO understand the distinction between commenting on an actor's private life and their work.  I think I was taking a couple of guidelines and lumping them together in my mind.  Plus I was remembering something Midnite posted not long ago as far as her criteria for deciding about the appropriateness (sp?) of certain types of posts and what she would delete and not delete.  YOU know - the thing about asking herself whether something might be hurtful or embarrassing to someone.  I was lumping that in too.

So when Dom said the thing about the possibility of the person who wrote the letter in the magazine article reading this board and being hurt, I immediately thought of R. Davis and the stuff people say about him all the time.  You know what I mean?

Dom,
Yes...your explanation was totally clear and did not confuse me.  LOL   And yes, what I was asking is exactly what I meant.  I wasn't insinuating anything or trying to make some sort of surreptitious statement!  I don't do that.  (Ya know, you've only been a moderator (globally speaking lol) for a week or two and ALREADY you're looking for hidden meanings!  ROFL)
Anyway, I just thought I'd ask you instead of Midnite since you made the comment about the writer of the letter, and I just wanted your opinion.  (Plus I figured, hey, give Midnite a rest and ask you).

All I can add to what's already been said is that if there's something you've read about RD, DC or any DS actor that you feel was a comment about their personal behavior as opposed to private, then please feel free to point it out to me.

Hell, I'd never do that in a million years.  (At least I don't THINK I would) lol.  I don't scrutinize people's posts and place some sort of judgement on them.  It's not my place.  I just look for something interesting or funny to read, differing opinions, etc.

Anyway, thanks everybody for your responses.

love
CLC

Hey - ya know what?  The next time I start wondering out loud, somebody kick me!

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2002, 06:03:26 PM »
Hey - ya know what?  The next time I start wondering out loud, somebody kick me!

<BOOT> to Connie.

There's an advance on your credit. You're now entitled to one offense without penalty. ;)

--Mark[/b][/color]

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2002, 07:11:48 PM »
This reply is off topic, but:

I just thought I'd mention that I've never even heard of Television Without Pity, so it must have been someone else! :)

That's not you? Oh dear. See there's an "other shows" forum and DS does have it's own little board, very, very low traffic and there's a Josette there too.  Never mind.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2002, 07:41:47 PM »
i agree with above and have to say it is his acting on the show i object too also but as Robin stated i liked his Dirk!
i think if we didn't have these things to talk about it would be a boring place! i don't take offence if anyone
makes fun of someone i like unless they attack me personally! as others stated (and as politicians and athletes find out also) if you are in the public eye you have to be able to take your lumps as well if you post
something here!
Dom you are doing a good job!Thanks!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV