Author Topic: For those who were at the fest....  (Read 1249 times)

RachelDrummand

For those who were at the fest....
« on: September 01, 2011, 06:54:52 AM »
Maybe you can clear up something for me. A friend of mine told me that she was given a flier about a DS revival reunion. Was this an announced/official thing or just something a few fans of the revival put together in the hopes of the revival having a reunion? Honestly, if it's the real deal, I would love to go but if this is just some joke, it's not a funny one.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: For those who were at the fest....
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 01:16:11 PM »
There were fliers about a reunion, I believe it was the 1991 DS,  but I don't think I took one.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 02:50:47 PM »
Not a very clearly-written flyer, clearly...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 05:43:41 PM »
There were 2 different flyers that would mysteriously appear on the table at the entrance to the Fest events.

COMING SOON
1991 Dark Shadows Cast Reunion

For more information send a SASE to:  1991 Dark Shadows Cast Reunion
                                                                      P.O. Box 469
                                                                      White Marsh, MD  21162

Or email:  friendsof91DS@comcast.net

The other asked you to fill out a form with personal info including email and snail mail it to the MD address.  It also asks you to check if you'd be interested in either a full cast reunion no matter where it's held, a partial cast reunion held on the East Coast (NY/NJ), or a partial cast reunion on the West Coast (CA).  Then it asks for suggestions.

I'm not thrilled to see another attempt at fracturing the DS Fests, especially with the two series so intertwined.  But I also understand the frustration now that the '91 series gets almost totally ignored every summer.

David

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 05:55:10 PM »
I love the 91 version--it felt like the original remade as a Hammer film.
Six 91 cast members, including Joseph Gordon Levitt, appeared at two DS fests in the 90s and were very well received.
Jim P should have them back.
Barbara Steele, who wasn't there but who does appear at Chiller cons in New Jersey, would be nice.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 06:23:44 PM »
It sure has to be frustrating for the 1991 series fans especially if that was their very first introduction to the DS franchise.  For them, in a sense it is the "original" series.  If I recall correctly, I heard from reliable sources that the 1991 DS series actors didn't feel there was a whole lot for them at the fests since most fans were original fans.  Most of the merchandise, media and personalities are geared around the original.  No one likes feeling like the third wheel, even if that may not really be the case.  Barbara Steele did come to one of the fests as I remember talking with her in the hotel lobby.  I got the sense some of the 1991 actors felt they really didn't belong in the environment.  Perhaps they would feel differently at a convention where the 1991 series was the focus.  It would be lovely if someone worked out where the 1991 fans could get their "fix."

nancy

I'm not thrilled to see another attempt at fracturing the DS Fests, especially with the two series so intertwined.  But I also understand the frustration now that the '91 series gets almost totally ignored every summer.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 09:31:33 PM »
Barbara attended the '95 Fest in NY and was given her own segment, also the DGA Curtis tribute in '01, the Halloween party at the Vista in '07, and a couple of Burbank autograph shows including the one this year.  Of course, she has another direct connection to DS by having done "Night Whispers."  Received it recently as a gift and am looking forward to listening.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 09:38:15 PM »
Would certainly go to an event for the NBC show, which I quite enjoyed. It's a shame that the festivals just ignore this vesion  because it's so much fun. I have met some of the actors at different events. Barbara Steele is quite a character. Lysette Anthony  and Michael T. Weiss were both gracious and friendly. Barbara Blackburn is especially nice and far more talented than her DS stint would lead you to believe.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 11:29:54 PM »
I think the new DS movie is going to give way more exposure to DS than there ever has been before, worldwide. It'll be interesting to see how many people find their way to the 1991 series as a result. (With any luck, we'll maybe get a remastered release of the DVDs, including the extra footage that MPI had on the VHS.) Who knows at this point exactly what effect the new movie will have on future fests, but I think it's very possible there will be a lot more new people than before. (Hey, maybe I'll even show up--I've only been to one of them, in 1991...) At any rate, I can't see the value in having separate event devoted to specific versions of the series.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 11:22:04 PM »
Since following Twitter for news about the Depp/DS film, I've noticed many tweets about the '91 Series. Some people say that they're fans from when the show originally aired, but the vast majority tend to say that they've discovered the show via the showings on Chiller. So, anyone who might think that Chiller having the show is having little effect on creating a bigger fandom for the '91 version or that there really aren't many fans for that version would be wrong.  [ghost_wink]