Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1012  (Read 757 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1012
« on: November 13, 2015, 08:38:12 PM »
Robservations #1012

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #1012

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 11:56:35 PM »
"Angelique" VO, rather than Lara.  Sometimes Lara uses her own voice, sometimes her Ang voice.  Carolyn tries to hold a gun on Yaeger, but he can tell she's got nothin'.  He slaps the gun out of her hand, and what terror comes out her via her scream... as if anything could happen to her now.  JY just scampers away, though. 

Welcome back for the hundredth time, Barnabas!!  His and Will's conversation is just so stilted and clumsily written, and acted.  Not DS's best moment.  In past years, Barnabas triumphing was always satisfying.  Now it washes over me.  My forty-some year long alliance with Barnabas seems to have been broken. 

Barnabas Collins, 1770-1830.  So he was just 25 in 1795, and 60 when he died, which I refuse to consider a long life by any valid standard, whatever the life expectancy was back then.  Will and Barn conjure PT Joshua merely by hallooing him.  Did they consider springing for the editing to have Barnabas actually meet his own ghost?  I mean, how could they resist?

Barnabas and Quentin acquaint themselves with each other, uncomfortably.  Barnabas could not possibly have spoken more suspiciously than he did, or with more canary-swallowing irony in his voice.  Maybe Henry Kaplan was making wild motions in the wings, meant to indicate "More!  More!"

I suppose all this must be a hoot for Barnabas, now that he's free.  This may be the first such trip in which he feels he has the routine down, and he feels he "owns" the whole insane process of fitting in and passing himself off as the cousin from wherever.  The earlier time incursions were stressful novelties, but it's happened just one too many times for him to take it seriously anymore, probably.  And he feels superior to it all, and to everybody involved.  It's all a bizarre play being put on for his personal entertainment, he may feel.  It's like one of those dreams where you know you're dreaming, and you don't care all that much what you do or say because it's not real.... So what if his voice drips with unbelievable irony, it's just Elliot Stokes's crazy parallel whatever!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 07:02:43 PM »
As always, Barnabas is a very bad winner. He watches with satisfaction, and Will watches with tears in his eyes (very like our Willie) as Will's latest opus goes up in smoke. MT, even when I first saw this ep., I wondered why they didn't bring back PT Barnabas--that would have been one of the best encounters in the whole show. Instead Barn decides that his PT counterpart must sleep undisturbed. But this whole act is so awkwardly written and acted that maybe we're better off this way.

I think we already knew that Barn was 25 when he was cursed. But yes, 60 is hardly any age at all--even back in those days, some people lived quite long lives if they were fortunate enough to be well provided for.

At Loomis, Barn steps out of the (dark) shadows and introduces himself to Quentin. It’s fortunate that Barnabas has already read Will's previous opus because that gives him a provenance: He reminds Quentin, Will’s book told how one of the original Barnabas's sons went in search of Andean gold. He died in Peru, Quentin recalls. In full courtly mode, Barnabas says, Well, my disappointment in contradicting you is matched by my pleasure in telling you that he survived. Oh, it was in poverty and obscurity, I am afraid, but with sufficient vigor [interpret that as you will!] to sire four sons for himself. One of them was my grandfather. Quentin inevitably asks, Why did your branch of the family never contact us? Barnabas replies, It was because of the shame of poverty (!), but now that I have made my own fortune, I feel free to visit. I’ve also read Will’s biography of my “great-great-grandfather,” which determined me to renew long-neglected family ties. Quentin is too busy absorbing all these data to reply, so Barnabas remarks, You seem to have many of the family traits. I assume I’m speaking to one of my cousins. Quentin introduces himself at last, and they shake hands.

As always, Barnabas’s face is his passport into the family. He tells Quentin that Will's manuscript was merely a piece of fiction--Will practically whispers his agreement, as he must. But he is free enough at least for now to ask why Barnabas presented himself. Barn explains that he needs access to the PT portal room. Then he orders the unhappy Will--who is just as reluctant to communicate with the dead as our Willie--to take him to PT Barn's grave.

Back at Collinwood, Roger wonders if Angelique really was murdered. Perhaps it was wrong to ask for you help, "Alexis" replies ominously. Quentin returns, still trying to absorb what has just happened. All he will say to the others is that they will meet Barnabas Collins tonight.

At the cemetery, Barnabas reads aloud the inscription on his namesake’s gravestone: Barnabas Collins, 1770-1830. (Sadly, parallel Barnabas lived a mere sixty years.) Then he adds, May he rest in peace. Will is terrified and wonders if he has to be here. Barnabas ignores him and speaks his thoughts aloud: I should have had a grave like this--my Josette and I. Peace should have been mine and hers. He kneels to pick up a handful of earth, then reverently sprinkles it onto the grave as he makes his petition: If there is a spirit here who looks kindly upon me, I beg his help. I am lost among strangers and trapped in a time that is not my own. I do not wish this curse of mine to affect anyone here. Help me if you can. Suddenly Will spots a dark figure, muffled in a many-caped greatcoat, a little way off.

Astonished that his petition has been answered, Barnabas begs the spirit to speak. He addresses the spirit as his namesake, but when it answers, he knows that it is not. Who disturbs this family ground? Joshua Collins asks sternly. Father! Barnabas cries in spite of himself, moving eagerly toward the ghost. Father? Joshua answers coldly, stopping him in his tracks. You are no son of mine. Forgive me, Barnabas replies and asks if Joshua heard his speech. Joshua answers, You speak to a man dedicated to the protection of this family, both the living and the dead. I command you to leave this place and trouble my son's spirit no more. Barnabas says, Do you not know that I am trapped in a world not my own? I want help, wherever it is, wherever it can come from. I only know that evil is in this place, Joshua replies. Barnabas tells him desperately, My name is Barnabas Collins, and Joshua Collins is my father. This only makes things worse as Joshua replies angrily, Do not profane those names. Leave this place. Leave and come here no more. His voice trails off as he disappears from view. Wait! Barnabas pleads, don’t go! I am a Collins! I need your help! Scared almost to tears, Will begs him, Please don’t do this. Accepting defeat, Barnabas tells Will, There’s only one place left--that room.

Quentin, Hoffman, and "Alexis"--the three PT grownups who have seen our time--await Barnabas's arrival. The man is a fraud, Hoffman says flatly, the entire story completely ridiculous. There hasn’t been a Barnabas in the family for years and years. You haven’t met him, Quentin points out. Soon you’ll find out how extraordinary the resemblance is. Does he have anything to do with the Barnabas Collins who was mentioned in that empty room? Angelique wonders. Just then, Barnabas arrives, and Quentin performs the introductions. Presumably by now Barnabas has gotten used to the idea that everyone in his own time has a parallel here, so he doesn't turn a hair when he sees “Alexis Stokes” and Hoffman. (And he has probably made Will prep him.) In any event, Barnabas gets out of Quentin’s offer of a drink by professing (genuine) eagerness to see Angelique's room right away. Quentin leads him upstairs, warning him that the room is rather unpredictable. All the more reason for my curiosity, Barnabas replies.

After they leave, Hoffman admits, Quentin [she should have said Mr. Collins!] was right. This Barnabas Collins looks exactly like the portrait. The people in the room mentioned a curse, Angelique recalls. Does he look to you like a man under a curse? I don't know, Hoffman replies. How could one ever know?

As they walk down the hallway, Quentin tells Barnabas, The room was used by my late wife, Angelique. Oh? Barnabas says interestedly. Now her twin sister, Alexis, is using the room, Quentin continues, but we’ve all been very unsettled by recent events. Warning Barnabas that the room is not unusual, Quentin throws the doors open. Fate is obliging enough to show them our Julia in the empty room, still hoping desperately for some sign of Barnabas. Neither man can enter the room, but they can hear Julia, though she can neither see nor hear them. She calls out forlornly, Oh, it can't be hopeless. Sometime... somehow, you will hear me. Oh, Barnabas!...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 05:07:39 PM »
Will is quite the whipping boy here, first bitten by Barnabas, then thrashed by Quentin. And he has the ultimate punishment as he is forced to burn all his notes for his proposed book. Barnabas has the upper hand here and makes sure that Will knows his place.
Odd scene in the cemetery. Did Barnabas think that his namesake would be able to send him back home? I too wonder why the ghost of PT Barnabas wasn't used here. It would have given Frid something different to play and might have kept him happy for a while.
For a ghost that is supposed to dedicated to the protection of the family, both living and dead, Joshua doesn't do very much. He does nothing to thwart Angelique, Yaeger or [spoiler]Roger[/spoiler]. Dameon Edwards actually did more or at least attempted to.
Barnabas is quickly established as a distant cousin again, this time with ties to Peru instead of England. No attempt is made to explain his accent. His resemblance to the portrait seems to give him carte blanche. Hoffman and Angelique still seem to have doubts but, as yet, no real reason to investigate further.
Barnabas is a bit too eager to see the room, where he and Quentin conveniently see Dr. Hoffman talking too much.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 06:32:18 PM »
Whether accidental or a deliberate idea of the writers, ghosts on Dark Shadows can either speak or do stuff, but not both at the same time--not on camera, at least. Joshua is a talking ghost, so I've always assumed that's why he doesn't throw things around or whatever to stop people. Maybe he's counting on sheer moral authority and his air of command.

I always thought it was funny that Barn claims his ancestor was from "Darkest Peru."

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 03:08:16 AM »
Will is forced to burn the book as his neck now sports some nice fang marks.  Will must not be much of a writer to not be able to come up with a story in ten years. Even is he were only interested in biography, there must be some other ancestor or person somewhere to write about.
Quentin calls Will his brother in law.
So is Julia just hanging out in the room babbling to herself in hopes Barnabas will hear her or come back to his own time?  It seems she should be hanging out in the hallway.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times