Author Topic: Favorite Music of Dark Shadows?  (Read 2730 times)

Offline AdAstra

• Junior Poster
  • Shadows of the night...
    • View Profile
Favorite Music of Dark Shadows?
« on: January 11, 2005, 10:37:21 AM »
Hello dear cousins~
I am sure that I speak for us all when I say that I absolutely love the music for dark shadows.  My favorite tune would be Quentin's Theme.  It's just so elegant, and I'm a sucker for violins.

What is everyone's favorite song?

Also, as I was watching some episodes from volume 15, I enjoyed this song Charity Trask kept singing when she was acting like Pansy Faye.  Does anyone know the name of this song?  I wasn't sure if it was original to the series or if it really was an old song.  Here's some of the lyrics:

I'm gonna dance for you
Gonna dance your cares away
I'll do the hoochie coo
And tarara boom deeay
I'll sing a happy song
While I dance the whole night long
etc....

And by the way, does anyone know what in the world the hoochiei coo and tarara boom deeay things are?!?!

Ciao
~Mel

Offline tripwire

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Music of Dark Shadows?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 06:41:16 PM »
My  favorite scene with music involves Adam.. He escapes from the old house(again) and finds his way to Collinwood, where he confronts Liz and Carolyn...Adam starts his "food, music" talk, so Carolyn leads him to a radio, when she turns on, out comes this Burt Bacharachish sounding "la la la la la la, la  la  la la la la la la la.  Adam, with sort of a confused look on his face, knocks radio over and proclaims "NOT MUSIC"... I get a laugh every time i see that scene, wondering if that line is sort of a commentary on elevator music, or if it was strictly because Adam does not associate that sound as music..... ^-^
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 08:50:38 PM »
And by the way, does anyone know what in the world the hoochiei coo and tarara boom deeay things are?!?!

ROTF! Ever hear of the lambada?

I'd have to say my favorite song on DS is Josette's Theme. It's so eerie and so sweet at the same time. "I Wanna Dance For You" would be a close second. ;) ~DJ

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 11:06:39 PM »
I have to say mine is Josettes's Theme too.  It's so Old World.  Also, I like Angelique's Theme.

By the way......Welcome [crowdhappy]
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 11:37:55 PM »
Well, this isn't on any of the Dark Shadows albums or anything, but I always got a demented thrill outta the various tunes featured on the Blue Whale jukebox...one being an interesting version of the Beatles "Michelle"   ;D

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 01:38:14 AM »
heather, i found a cd at of all places a japanese record store called "the original music from dark shadows deluxe edition".it has stuff like the opening/closing theme as well as a few choice tunes from the blue whale jukebox."no.1 at the blue whale" is a "slow dance".burke and vicki danced to it alot in the early days."back at the blue whale" is the tune that carolyn rocks out to in ep.2 with the "hoods".it starts the fight between them and joe.i have no idea where else this cd is available. [gramophone]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 03:05:58 AM »
Of course my all time favorite is A Darkness at Collinwood.  Perfect for driving at night. My second favorite piece of music is Johanna's Theme.  It' such a haunting  ;D melody. It's perfect to listen to in the car when the weather is cool and rainey or you're driving along an uncrowded street. It's also wonderful to listen to when it's fall and the leaves have turned.  I'm reminded of the Night of Dark Shadows opening when Charles and Daphne pull up to Lyndhurst for the first time. 'I'll Be With You Always' and 'Quentin's Theme' are other really good ones.  I wouldn't dream of going on a long trip in the car without bringing along all the DS music CDs.  
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 04:34:12 AM »
Hello Adastra... Welcome, I am sure you will enjoy the various topics and hope you post often,  I love all the music and sound effects of Dark Shadows, my favorite is Sarah's Theme, a sweet child's tune made to sound happy, sad and even angry when David spilled the beans about a certain secret place, second is Quentin's Theme.
These are also loved tunes.
Josette's theme
Barnabas' theme
The Play Room
Joanna's theme
I wanna dace for you

I'm not quite sure what the hoocie coo is but would wager a guess that's it is a dance move of some kind, the tarara boom dee ay is I believe a high kick dance that the dancers of paris performed... it is also a song isn't it?  ???
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 01:29:57 PM »
   I guess I've got the dirty mind here, then. :) I always thought the "hoochie koo" and "terrara boom deeay" were Pansy's way of "yada yada'ing" over suggestive content. She wasn't exactly an angel there. ~DJ

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 02:12:47 PM »
The "hootchie cootchie" is a strip-tease.  I believe the term is from roughly the 1920's-30's.

Anyone else here watching "Carnivale"?  One of the funnier lines of dialogue:

Mother to Stripper Daughter: Stop eatin' that......no one wants to see a lumberjack dance the 'cootch'!

Stripper Daughter: Hell, I'd like to see a lumberjack dance the 'cootch'!!!
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 05:09:20 PM »
Rainey, that's interesting that "hootchie-koo" dates to the Twenties.  I thought it might go back to the music halls of the 1880s-90s.

"I wanna dance for you," the tune, was, I believe, originally composed for Dan Curtis' adaptation of "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" which aired on ABC in 1968 and starred Jack Palance (who later performed as Dracula in DC's film of that book).  The words "hootchie-koo" and "tara-ra-boom-de-ay" (the latter is the first words of a nonsense patter song) are, I think, meant to evoke the atmosphere of an 1890s London music hall with their talented tease dancers and mentalists such as Miss Faye.

Some of us here are into another 1960s cult TV show, The Avengers, which was English and aired in the evenings on ABC in 1967-69.  In 1969 the new character was Tara and when she told Steed (the other main protagonist) her name, he said "Tara?" and she said "Raboomdeay!"  or something like that... it always makes me smile.  Sort of like Pansy Faye popping in on another favorite show of the period.

As for music, I prefer the background cues to the theme songs, although I am very fond of "Back at the Blue Whale" with its raucous, hippie-chick tambourine.  I also like "A Darkness at Collinwood" (I think of the beginning part as "Theme for Barnabas,") Liz's special music, the glass-armonica and theremin piece that I think has Roxanne's name on the CD, etc. I have all 4 CDs issued by MPI plus the special ones for the movies, etc issued by Rhino and Varese Sarabande.  The music was always one of my favorite things about DS.

G.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2005, 05:54:59 PM »
There's so much wonderful music from DS.  Some of my favorites are:

"Quentin's Theme" - Absolutely haunting, especially the versions with the echo effect.

"Barnabas and Angelique" - On the CD they combined the themes for both characters into one song and it works really well.  Very eerie.

""Dancing at the Blue Whale" and "Back at the Blue Whale" - The 'Cramps' NEED to cover these songs.   8)  I often sneak these two tunes into my rock 'n' roll radio show.

"I'm Gonna Dance for You" - Definitely evocative of smoky Victorian dance halls.  What a great song, and the words are priceless.  I'm not talking about the 'Wanna Dance' version done later.  I mean the naughtier 'Gonna Dance' lyrics.

"Curse of the Full Moon" - The perfect tune to compliment the werewolf transformation.

"Ode to Angelique" - Great piece of music.  I always associate it with what you hear as soon as someone opens the door to the Parallel Time room.

"Collinwood" - Spookiest piece of music ever!

Other tunes I love, the main theme of course, Sarah's Theme, Playroom Theme, Josette's Music Box, Head of Judah Zachary (that song gives me the chills)... Ah, they're ALL great.

By the way, speaking of music, if any of you folks are into rock 'n' roll and specifically punk rock - the legendary punk band "The Damned" recently released an album called 'Grave Disorder' which I suggest checking out.  There's a clip of Angelique casting a spell on the cd!  Dave Vanian, the  vampiric-looking lead singer, is a huge DS fan.  I  saw them play a few years ago and during his on-stage banter he made several references to Collinsport , even dedicating a song to Barnabas Collins!   8)

~Penny Dreadful~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline AdAstra

• Junior Poster
  • Shadows of the night...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2005, 09:19:34 PM »
PennyDreadful~
Hey, I knew I heard Angilique in that song!  Cool.  There aren't many stations that play good music where I'm at, but I did happen to hear that song by The Damned on internet radio.  Do you know what the name of the song was?  Thanks!
Ciao
~Mel

By the way, good taste in music.  ;)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2005, 09:19:24 AM »
Some of us here are into another 1960s cult TV show, The Avengers, which was English and aired in the evenings on ABC in 1967-69.  In 1969 the new character was Tara and when she told Steed (the other main protagonist) her name, he said "Tara?" and she said "Raboomdeay!"  or something like that... it always makes me smile.  Sort of like Pansy Faye popping in on another favorite show of the period. 

BBCAmerica recently aired that episode.  Actually, when they first meet, she says to Steed, "You didn't say it."  And he asks, "Say what?"  And she replies, "Raboomdeay."  He asks why he would say that, and she says that most people do when they hear her name - Tara Raboomdeay.

At the end of the episode, this is when Mrs. Peel has just left to rejoin her suddenly returned husband and Tara comes in as her replacement, he looks at her and says, "Raboomdeay!!"
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2005, 06:59:10 PM »
i found a cd at of all places a japanese record store called "the original music from dark shadows deluxe edition". ... i have no idea where else this cd is available. [gramophone]

It's still available for order on most popular Web sites. And BTW, the CD was a reissue of the soundtrack that was originally released in 1969, but with the addition of the two Ron Barry interview tracks.

As for my favorite DS music, I love it all. But if I had to pick one track from the TV series, I think it would be The Hand of Count Petofi, a reworking of which was used in both hoDS and Nods (and it's called Banabas and Carolyn on the movies CD). Something about it is just so evocative, mysterious, and, dare I say, subtle, which isn't something one can say of all the pieces that were used on the show.  ;)  However, as a whole I think I enjoy the music used in NoDS the most. Whenever I'm in the mood to play one of the DS CDs, I always seem to go to that portion of the movies CD first. And within the film itself, it seems as if every piece fits with the goings on so perfectly.