Author Topic: THE DICKENS WITH DARK SHADOWS  (Read 1026 times)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
THE DICKENS WITH DARK SHADOWS
« on: August 11, 2002, 10:51:43 PM »
There are noticable similarities between Danielle Roget and Madame Dufarge from A TALE OF TWO CITIES. Dan Curtis said at the William Paley Festival that he contemplated doing a Dicken's Christmas and unfortunately did not have the time. Are there any other characters in DARK SHADOWS adapted from the writings of Charles Dickens?
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline CandleLighter

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: THE DICKENS WITH DARK SHADOWS
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2002, 12:27:43 AM »
Willie could be compared to Bob Cratchit, the long suffering clerk of Ebenezer Scrooge.  Willie is mistreated by Barnabas like Bob was by Scrooge.[/color]

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2002, 01:42:26 AM »
Well, many of the 1897 characters are very Victorian.  I suppose Rachel is fairly Dickensenian, even if the chief of the plot was lifted from Jane Eyre.

I really don't see much of a resemblance between Madame Defarge and Danielle Roget.  The former was driven by revenge, whereas the implication for the latter is that she was just having a grand old time with the Revolution.

I don't know how much of a Dickens thing DS had going.  The Bronte sisters' writing seems closer to the spirit of DS.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2002, 02:58:50 AM »
Well, many of the 1897 characters are very Victorian.  I suppose Rachel is fairly Dickensenian, even if the chief of the plot was lifted from Jane Eyre.

Luciaphil

I think Vlad mentioned this once in his post that Rachel Drummond was a character in the spirit of Dickens.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2002, 04:02:40 AM »
I think Vlad mentioned this once in his post that Rachel Drummond was a character in the spirit of Dickens.
Yes, I think you're right; it was Vlad :)

Rachel has that doe in headlights quality that would put her very much in the Rosabud from "Mystery of Edwin Drood" role.  And there's that whole need to throw herself into the path of danger and vicious authority, which is part and parcel of a lot of Victorian literature.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga