Author Topic: Let's Suppose?  (Read 798 times)

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
Let's Suppose?
« on: August 10, 2002, 04:43:00 AM »
One dark and stormy night you are traveling alone in a remote part of Maine.

The lightening is flashing, thunder is booming overhead, the wind is howling.  It's dark and very late.  You are eager to get to the next town of size and get a nice safe room.  You have the car radio playing loudly in attempt to dispel the loneliness.

Your car begins to slow down and sputter.  You pump the gas vainly to keep it running.  It stops.  There you are alone, all you can make out in the darkness are lights coming from a large stone mansion, and at a short distance another pillared mansion.

You know you must walk for help.  Where would you go?  How might you be welcomed at the house you choose?  Will be invited to spend the night?  What would your experience be?

Tanis

Some food for thought for the weekend.
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Suppose?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2002, 04:59:14 AM »
You may have that experience before you reach either door :o
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline sheenasma

• Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2002, 06:14:20 AM »
Okay, I live in Maine, and this has actually happened to me, back in the 70's.  It was on the Foreside, a very upscale part of an upscale  town.  The door  knocked on was opened by a very nice lady wearing pendelton pants and a cashmere sweater. We drank tea and watched Upstairs/Downstairs while waiting for AAA.  

Anticlimatic to be sure, but it was a nice way to wait out the wrecker.

n
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2002, 02:25:41 AM »
Well, I would probably choose the smaller house. I think it would be less intimidating to me. And naturally, given my lifelong bad timing, Barney would be a vampire at that time. He would graciously invite me in and explain that he didn't have a phone. I would be welcome to spend the night and in the morning, I could walk to Collinwood to use the telephone, he would say to me. Being lulled by his obvious gentility and the beauty of Josette's room, I would agree. However, a short while later, I would find myself questioning this choice. Namely, because of a very nervous, stammering "servant" who seemed kindly and yet was looking at me with dread.

Therefore, I would quietly sneak out of the house later, after I had supposedly retired for the evening. By this time the storm had passed, and it was no longer as dark because of the light from a full moon. As I pause in the woods contemplating my next move, I hear a howl. It is the last thing I hear in this lifetime....
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton