Author Topic: Dark Shadows Closing Credits  (Read 3214 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Re: Dark Shadows Closing Credits
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2002, 05:11:32 AM »
Why does Joan Bennett gets top billing and Alexandra Moltke gets bottom billing? ?!?

Its all determined by your clout, AFTRA credits, and how much you care etc. . .I think when Frid and Hall first came on.  .she got billed over him (theatrical pedigree and Oscar nom) but later he was bumped up (heart throb stud who saved the show you know). . .I think too its a lot of how much an actor cared. . Hepburn didn't care if Tracy was over her name although there was some arguement she had more "clout" at the time . . .I like to think my gal Grayson didn't care. . .
Julia99

Nancy

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2002, 06:30:59 AM »
Frid's theatrical pedigree matched Hall's (and possibly exceeded it) but she clearly had more over many other cast members in terms of film/TV experience.  Actors don't decide billing on shows.  The kind of contract you had and your agent dictated what you got.   I imagine Hall's experience in the medium made it easier for her agent to want good billing.  The billing is important because positioning in credits can influence how much money you can ask for in future projects.  It's not an ego thing - it's about money and prestige all of which sway producers and casting people.   It's like job titles - we might not really care what we are called but it definitely matters in terms of pay structure and future "clout" in whatever business we are in.

Nancy

Its all determined by your clout, AFTRA credits, and how much you care etc. . .I think when Frid and Hall first came on.  .she got billed over him (theatrical pedigree and Oscar nom) but later he was bumped up (heart throb stud who saved the show you know). . .I think too its a lot of how much an actor cared. . Hepburn didn't care if Tracy was over her name although there was some arguement she had more "clout" at the time . . .I like to think my gal Grayson didn't care. . .

Nancy

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2002, 06:33:24 AM »
Joan Bennett was a name who could draw an audience and Alexandra Moltke was not.

Nancy

Why does Joan Bennett gets top billing and Alexandra Moltke gets bottom billing? ?!?

Connie

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2002, 11:48:09 AM »
Nancy -

I love reading your posts.  They're so interesting.  (and informative)

-Connie  :)

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2002, 06:55:54 AM »

I know what you mean, Jennifer -- I was astounded :o when I heard the news he was quitting The West Wing...I guess he didn't pay attention to the career David Caruso *didn't* have for years after he left NYPD Blue.

I read that the powers behind West Wing were going to write Lowe out after the first year. It was publicly announced and Lowe was not happy at all. For some reason they changed their minds, but it doesn't sound like an ideal situation and Lowe probably tired of it. He has had a longstanding career with many highs and lows, so I'm sure he will go on in that same fashion and is used to that.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2002, 05:34:18 PM »

I read that the powers behind West Wing were going to write Lowe out after the first year. It was publicly announced and Lowe was not happy at all. For some reason they changed their minds, but it doesn't sound like an ideal situation and Lowe probably tired of it. He has had a longstanding career with many highs and lows, so I'm sure he will go on in that same fashion and is used to that.

That could very well be true, but from what I understand, he wanted to be paid on a par with Martin Sheen rather than the rest of the cast, and when the show's executives refused, he decided to walk.  I personally think the guy is talented, and his character is one of my favorites on the show so I'm bummed that he's leaving, but considering that one of his low points was a sex video with teenagers, he's really pretty lucky that he's on TV at all.  Also, since his movie career isn't comprised of hits, and most of the other Brat-Packers slipped off the radar screen years ago, getting paid $70,000 a week to do a hit show that features the best dialogue on television and is nominated for 22 Emmy awards doesn't seem like that bad a gig, even if TPTB did plan to write him out initially.  The West Wing has done wonders to restore his credibility, but far fewer actors leave a hit and enjoy subsequent success than vice-versa.

Cheers,

Linda

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2002, 06:59:09 PM »
That could very well be true, but from what I understand, he wanted to be paid on a par with Martin Sheen rather than the rest of the cast, and when the show's executives refused, he decided to walk.  I personally think the guy is talented, and his character is one of my favorites on the show so I'm bummed that he's leaving, but considering that one of his low points was a sex video with teenagers, he's really pretty lucky that he's on TV at all.  Also, since his movie career isn't comprised of hits, and most of the other Brat-Packers slipped of the radar screen years ago, getting paid $70,000 a week to do a hit show that features the best dialogue on television and is nominated for 22 Emmy awards doesn't seem like that bad a gig, even if TPTB did plan to write him out initially.  The West Wing has done wonders to restore his credibility, but far fewer actors leave a hit and enjoy subsequent success than vice-versa.

Even David Caruso now admits that he never should have left NYPD-Blue but he thought he was a STAR and could command better roles and a better salary.

Sad to say that Rob Lowe hasn't learned any of Caruso's lessons. In no way is he on the same level as Martin Sheen.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Nancy

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2002, 08:38:35 PM »
Lowe has had a movie career but not an outstanding one by any means.  Still, I suppose the key is that he works and so many good actors aren't even able to get as far as he has.  

IMO, part of David Caruso's problem in making the transition was the fact he could be very difficult and had an attitude.  He had that reputation before he left NYPD Blue.  There's no reason for good directors and producers to want to work with someone like that when they have  access to other actors who are easy to work with and make going to the set each day pleasurable.   Caruso admitted in some interviews his reputation probably hampered his efforts and I have no doubt that it did.

George Clooney is one of the very few actor who left a TV series and enjoyed some film success.    And this is a guy who isn't even as talented as some others but then, so many people enjoy working with him.

Nancy

Even David Caruso now admits that he never should have left NYPD-Blue but he thought he was a STAR and could command better roles and a better salary.

Sad to say that Rob Lowe hasn't learned any of Caruso's lessons. In no way is he on the same level as Martin Sheen.

Nancy

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2002, 08:44:26 PM »
Oh, well thank you.  I just try to be coherent. :-*

Nancy -

I love reading your posts.  They're so interesting.  (and informative)

-Connie  :)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2002, 02:01:19 AM »
In the end credits, I noticed that Mitchell Ryan was always billed first, though without any special title, (or second when JB was on) until he left.  Anthony George was given the same treatment.

It was unusual to see Victoria Winters credited like the regular cast when Betsy Durkin and Carolyn Groves played the role (even though neither of them warranted special billing anyway).

I always thought it so late in the series to give Jonathan Frid special billing.  By the episodes Sci Fi is showing, he is clearly the star of the show.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2002, 08:27:19 AM »

no he is much better looking! heehee Carol
He was really good in The Stand! He'll be back
in something hopefully!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV