Author Topic: Contract time  (Read 1674 times)

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Contract time
« on: August 03, 2002, 09:10:40 PM »
Barney's recent discussion with Adam about not expecting to live through the experiment reminded me that I hadn't ever asked this question. At that point of the show, it seemed they really might have been writing Frid out of it. Does anyone know whether he was in negotiation for more money at that time?

I know on the Special Edition DVD Michael Stroka made an hilarious comment about David inquiring about another actor's salary and commented that they were all to have made the same amount per show except for Joan Bennett and Jonathon Frid. (David's comment to Dan Curtis was something like "I don't need this Dan, I can always go back to high school!")

Also, the discussion about the disturbing death of Dr. Woodard makes me wonder. I have always thought it was probably hastily arranged due to the absence of Robert Gerringer. Has this been verified or disputed publically?

"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
Re: Contract time
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2002, 10:55:37 PM »
I thought the same thing a while back and commented to my co-worker who watches my tapes after I do that maybe Jonathan Frid was in contract negotiations because his character may live on in another actor. I'm glad that Jonathan stayed with the show because in my opinion the show wouldn't have been the same without his portrayal of Barnabas.

Before I began taping the show on Sci-fi a couple years ago, I had fond memories of Dark Shadows but few specific remembrances of the stories and plot lines. What I did remember was Barnabas Collins as portrayed by Jonathan Frid.  Like millions of kids I rushed home from school to watch he and Angelique every day.  

As Kathryn Leigh Scott states in her book "Dark Shadows Memories" that Jonathan Frid made the role of Barnabas "uniquely his own".  I couldn't have said it better.

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2002, 02:20:06 AM »
I know on the Special Edition DVD Michael Stroka made an hilarious comment about David inquiring about another actor's salary and commented that they were all to have made the same amount per show except for Joan Bennett and Jonathon Frid. (David's comment to Dan Curtis was something like "I don't need this Dan, I can always go back to high school!")

ROTFL! I can just see that!!!! Has anyone ever written a FF about the actors in DS, and what went on behind the scenes? [nerv]
*snicker snicker*
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Nancy

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2002, 02:50:32 AM »
Barney's recent discussion with Adam about not expecting to live through the experiment reminded me that I hadn't ever asked this question. At that point of the show, it seemed they really might have been writing Frid out of it. Does anyone know whether he was in negotiation for more money at that time?

Frid told Curtis at some point (probably around this time) to create another major character who would shoulder some of the burden in carrying the show which is what Barnabas came to do.  This is how the character of Quentin came to be.   The character of Barnabas was on more than most of the others and in every storyline.  On top of that, Frid was the principal actor used to promote the series across the country so that meant working after hours and weekends too along with doing cross country publicity tours plus radio, TV and print interviews during the week. That's a pretty tall order so I don't blame the man for wanting less to do than he had been doing.

Frid later kidded that he was probably slitting his own throat making the demand for another male lead, but ultimately he was pleased at what David Selby brought to the show.  I'm sure fans agree with that particularly the legion of Selby/Quentin fans out there.;)  

Someone asked Frid at a Q&A in December, 2002 how much money he made during DS and he said that it was above the minimum but "not that much above."  None of the actors on DS were paid that well.  The actors were  paid a flat fee for the merchandising and subsequently made no more money on merchandising when when it was renewed with the syndication of the series. That's all Dan Curtis' money.  

Any significant money the actors made from the series was in the publicity tours and stunts they participated in.
Those happened on the weekends or during a week or few days an actor wasn't on the show.

Robert Rodan asked for a raise and his character wound up with a one way trip to the closet.  That happened with a few actors - asked for a raise and the character was written out.;)

Initially for his own reasons Frid thought the show (and himself) would benefit having another major character and he was certainly right.  I don't know if he threatened the powers that be or not, but obviously they decided to make the move and create Quentin.

DS certainly benefited from having Quentin and David Selby added to the show. It added a whole other dimension.  Frid also said in some interviews at the time that Selby didn't get the credit he deserved for what he brought to the show.  But I know fans sure appreciate and give Selby the credit he deserves, LOL!!

Nancy

Offline WileyS

• Junior Poster
  • DS fan and bookaholic :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2002, 04:00:56 AM »
Wow I really seem to be on a Lisa Richards kick today, but here goes a THIRD story from her 1993 festival appearance that I saw on tape....I believe someone asked why she left the show and she said
SPOILER.

"My agent asked for some kind of double-salary. I was strangled shortly thereafter." ROFL
Wiley S.

Offline WileyS

• Junior Poster
  • DS fan and bookaholic :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2002, 04:03:36 AM »
As Kathryn Leigh Scott states in her book "Dark Shadows Memories" that Jonathan Frid made the role of Barnabas "uniquely his own".  I couldn't have said it better.

I agree with this too. I'm one of the fans who saw the 1991 version of DS first......I was in middle school when it aired. I LOVED it, and still do, but ever since becoming hooked on the original DS in 1995, Frid has become "Barnabas" to me. Same for Grayson Hall as Julia.
Wiley S.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2002, 04:58:22 AM »
I agree with this too. I'm one of the fans who saw the 1991 version of DS first......I was in middle school when it aired. I LOVED it, and still do, but ever since becoming hooked on the original DS in 1995, Frid has become "Barnabas" to me. Same for Grayson Hall as Julia.

as much as i like Ben Cross he isn't Barnabas to me but there is also only one Willie, Julia, Roger .... too,couldn't see anyone else playing Quentin either

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline MrsJ

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2002, 08:25:01 PM »
as much as i like Ben Cross he isn't Barnabas to me but there is also only one Willie, Julia, Roger .... too,couldn't see anyone else playing Quentin either

I agree.  It was a mistake to try to use the original characters with a new cast.  Perhaps Dan Curtis miscalculated strength of the fan base (can it be that he actually makes mistakes??)

MrsJ.

Nancy

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2002, 09:43:27 PM »
Maybe. ;D

One of the problems with the remake is that Dr. Hoffman was creepier than Barnabas.

Nancy

I agree.  It was a mistake to try to use the original characters with a new cast.  Perhaps Dan Curtis miscalculated strength of the fan base (can it be that he actually makes mistakes??)

MrsJ.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2002, 01:22:28 AM »
Dan Curtis ... (can it be that he actually makes mistakes??)

That IS a rhetorical question, isn't it? [wink2]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2002, 01:37:07 AM »
One of the problems with the remake is that Dr. Hoffman was creepier than Barnabas.

See now, I really enjoyed the '91 series' writers' and Barbara Steele's concept of Julia. I thought it was a valid interpretation of the character at that point in the storyline.

But then, I loved almost everything about the '91 series. Quite a few of the original plot subtleties had to be jettisoned because of primetime TV's time constraints and the network bigwigs' somewhat ridiculous notion that a plot has to rush along or the audience will lose interest and change the channel. But those are just the facts of life when it comes to primetime vs. daytime. I've always thought that in many ways some of the new takes on the storylines/characters improved on the original.

Nancy

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2002, 01:51:20 AM »
That's fine, MB, as long as you are not creepier than the '91 Julia Hoffman. :-X 8) :D

See now, I really enjoyed the '91 series' writers' and Barbara Steele's concept of Julia. I thought it was a valid interpretation of the character at that point in the storyline.

But then, I loved almost everything about the '91 series. Quite a few of the original plot subtleties had to be jettisoned because of primetime TV's time constraints and the network bigwigs' somewhat ridiculous notion that a plot has to rush along or the audience will lose interest and change the channel. But those are just the facts of life when it comes to primetime vs. daytime. I've always thought that in many ways some of the new takes on the storylines/characters improved on the original.

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2002, 01:54:19 AM »

A benefactor after me own heart. ;)

I probably liked a lot of the 91 series less than you, from the sound of things; in fact, there were some things -- particularly the setting and Ben Cross's EVIL DEAD-style vampire make-up -- that I thought flopped beyond belief. But on the whole, I thought the 91 series had decent pacing and some very good characterization. Nothing and no one can ever replace the original, and I don't consider the 91 series a "replacement." It was simply a different animal, and by and large did a lot of things well. It's a pity they didn't do more well; but the show was really starting to hit its stride about the time it was cancelled.

A lot of the fluff that accompanied the daily fare in the original show was gone, and that was a good thing for prime time. Rarely did they cut too far, as far as I was concerned.

It would take pages and pages to go through the "like this," "hated that" list, but suffice it to say that the 91 series had a lot of good going for it, and I really wish it had been given a chance to fly.

[shadow=purple,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2002, 03:32:10 AM »

I agree.  It was a mistake to try to use the original characters with a new cast.  

MrsJ.

Absolutely....
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2002, 05:20:48 AM »

But then, I loved almost everything about the '91 series.

Does anyone know if it will be offered on DVD????
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton