Author Topic: Adam's "Unique" West Wing Reading Material  (Read 1469 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Adam's "Unique" West Wing Reading Material
« on: July 30, 2002, 05:21:13 PM »
Dear Fellow Dark Shadows Fans,

On a previous episode, Carolyn had mentioned that Adam enjoyed reading some of the books up in the West Wing, a book of poetry to be exact if I'm not mistaken.

While I'm sure that Adam enjoyed reading Elizabeth Barrett Browning's love sonnets (How do I love thee?  Let me count the ways.), perhaps Adam was able to locate reading material in the West Wing of a more "sophisticated" nature.

No doubt, years earlier, a much younger Roger Collins had secreted his collection of adult reading material in one of the many closets or desks of the West Wing rooms.  Perhaps Roger had stored his entire collection of Playboy Magazines in one of those rooms.  (Adam may have found Roger's well-worn 1953 issue of Playboy featuring Marilyn Monroe's historic gatefold appearance in Hugh Hefner's fledgling periodical.)  Then again, Adam may have chanced upon Roger's copies of Henry Miller's erotic masterpieces "Tropic of Cancer " or "Tropic of Capricorn."  (Of course, I'm assuming that the always inquisitive young David Collins had not already discovered his dad's stash of "erotica.")

In addition, Adam may have discovered the late caretaker Matthew Morgan's extensive collection of the always fascinating  "Police Gazette" magazines and Matthew's copy of "I, The Jury" by Mickey Spillane in another of the deserted West Wing rooms.

In an attempt to "brighten-up" his dreary West Wing room, perhaps Adam affixed Marilyn Monroe's famous gatefold to one of the walls.  I can almost see the dynamic and energetic Prof. Stokes hurrying up to Adam's room, knocking on the door and rushing in to speak with his prized "student":

"Oh, Adam, my dear boy, please excuse this unwarranted intrusion at this most 'inopportune' of occasions."

To which an obviously mellowed-out Adam, after experiencing a sublime moment of onanistic reverie, replies, 'Willie bad...........Marilyn Monroe good.....VERY Good!!!"

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, who believes that Nicholas Blair's favorite maxim has to be: "Idle hands are the devil's hands!"

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Adam's "Unique" West Wing Reading Material
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2002, 06:58:27 PM »
This could explains Adam's fixation on the very blond (if not quite as voluptuous) Carolyn Stoddard. And possibly gives us a hint of where Adam headed after leaving Collinsport...to L.A. where he became the mysterious "man in green " who once a week put a single mustard yellow rose in the vase adorning Marilyn's crypt.

An aside:  It has been rumored that the mysterious "man in green" was arrested and booked in England but later released for lack of evidence as a suspect in the attempted murder of Ted Jordan.  [lghy]

Dom

Spellcheck = no "gives"

Offline RingoCollins

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2002, 07:13:10 PM »
(How do I love thee?  Let me count the ways.),

Adam's version:  "How do I love Eve?  Let me count the parts....."
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2002, 09:55:51 PM »
Hey Ringo,

Regarding Adam's squalid West Wing lodgings, couldn't Carolyn at least have sent Harry Johnson up to the room with a broom so that Adam could get rid of all those massive spiders' webs all over the place?

By the way, I'm just as glad that Adam did NOT come across a copy of Dr. David Rubin's "Everything You Wanted To Know About Sex, But Were Afraid to Ask" in the West Wing.  I shudder to think what reckless action the rash and headstrong Adam would have taken if he had "speed-read" (a la Evelyn Wood) that particular title!

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, avid "Boys Life" and "Hardy Boys' Mystery Novels" reader.

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2002, 12:10:58 AM »

No doubt, years earlier, a much younger Roger Collins had secreted his collection of adult reading material in one of the many closets or desks of the West Wing rooms.  Perhaps Roger had stored his entire collection of Playboy Magazines in one of those rooms.  (Adam may have found Roger's well-worn 1953 issue of Playboy featuring Marilyn Monroe's historic gatefold appearance in Hugh Hefner's fledgling periodical.)

It's unlikely any of the Collins clan had issues of Playboy, even Roger. There may have been a few issues of National Geographic laying around though. And considering Adam's room is somewhere close to Quentin's in the West Wing, there may well be some nineteenth century erotica laying around.
:o

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2002, 03:11:08 PM »
Dear Dr. Eric Lang,

Your point about about Quentin Collins' presumptive reading mateial is well taken.  You know, there is an expression up in New England about a book or film being "banned in Boston."  I wonder if there is a similar expression concerning similar items being "banned in Collinsport"?  (Of course, we know that the so-called "oldest profession" was not "banned in Collinsport" for, at least, up to the late nineteenth century.)

Bob the Bartender

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2002, 11:21:26 PM »
An aside:  It has been rumored that the mysterious "man in green" was arrested and booked in England but later released for lack of evidence as a suspect in the attempted murder of Ted Jordan.  [lghy]

Dom

Spellcheck = no "gives"

who is Ted Jordan?

Ldyanne ?!?

Offline AllMyShadows

• Junior Poster
  • DS Fan All the Way!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2002, 12:53:17 AM »
hmmm........I remember when Angie was still Cass, and David had that tape player......and he was 'listening to it.......' makes me think about David and what in the world he recorded....maybe he called some certain numbers he saw written on the walls of Barnabas's coffin.........

And Adam, sometimes I think about why he never leaves the west wing and goes down to kidnap Carolyn. Maybe during one of his frequent Vicki-nappings, he found a camera, made a book out of the pictures, and put it under Roger's pillow......makes me wonder.....
DS on Sci-Fi
1992-1997, 1999-2003
Let's just hope TVLand picks it up or something like that lol

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2002, 03:29:59 AM »
Could there possibly be a stray copy of "Lady Chatterly's Lovers" tucked away in the corner somewhere?

Tanis
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2002, 07:13:03 AM »

Regarding Adam's squalid West Wing lodgings, couldn't Carolyn at least have sent Harry Johnson up to the room with a broom so that Adam could get rid of all those massive spiders' webs all over the place?

That would have been an additional hundred dollars. Harry doesn't believe in cheap labor. Mrs. Johnson might have become suspicious too if she caught Harry sneaking off with her broom.  ;D
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2002, 07:20:46 AM »
There may have been a few issues of National Geographic laying around

Or better yet, some real hair raising reading material left by the Trask family.  ;)
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan