Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0168  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Discuss - Ep #0168
« on: March 15, 2012, 05:05:24 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0168
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 05:14:25 PM »
I asked yesterday why Laura had so little time - why the fire in Phoenix hadn't been done sooner - but today my impression was that that was an irrelevant question.  There she sits, when no one else is around, conserving whatever strength she can draw from the fire in the fireplace.  It appears to have been the fire in Phoenix that started the clock ticking, not the fire a century ago, so rescheduling the Phoenix fire wouldn't have changed anything.  But why was there a fire in Phoenix?  No doubt tomorrow I'll declare that to be an irrelevant question.

Burke kissed Laura at the end of their scene together, but on the whole I didn't get an impression of physical interest in her on his part.  He wasn't getting into her space.  And yet my understanding is that there was quite a bit of physical closeness between them in the days before she married Roger.  Oh, well, maybe five years of prison had a dampening effect on Burke.

Laura was quite rattled by the idea of a séance with the object of contacting Josette.  What does she think might come of it?

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 07:42:58 PM »
My irrelevant question is this: Who the heck is dressing David Ford???? Who wears a tie with a lumberjack shirt?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 07:47:07 PM »
Maybe the fire in Phoenix wasn't a success--that is, Laura didn't get totally reborn, maybe only partially. That might make the whole drawing-strength-from-the-fire business a little more logical. Anyway, just my hypothesis.

Dr. Guthrie is putting all the pieces together--AND he has Laura really scared, yay! I'll bet she thinks that Josette might get more strength if she speaks through a medium at the séance. Again, just another hypothesis.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 08:30:04 PM »
Maybe the fire in Phoenix wasn't a success--that is, Laura didn't get totally reborn, maybe only partially. That might make the whole drawing-strength-from-the-fire business a little more logical. Anyway, just my hypothesis.

That works.  Thank you.   Future events are consistent with that, too.   

Who wears a tie with a lumberjack shirt?

Paul Bunyan on a job interview?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 12:21:39 AM »
Paul Bunyan on a job interview?

LOL!!!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Watching Project

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »
The Robservations captures for this ep have finally been posted. (They were ready before this topic was even started, but with everything else going on they just never got posted. [embb])

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 07:06:59 PM »
Without Laura's influence, Burke would be thrilled with having supposed detective Guthrie in town investigating her, wouldn't he?   What if someone came investigating Roger right now... would Burke actually try to stop it, because it would hurt Laura too?   

Does Burke think that she'll admit her guilt (to start the reopening of the manslaughter case)after David's hers, not go to prison, and then continue to have David despite this, then he'll have Laura, and they'll run off and be happy?   The three of them?   

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 07:29:47 AM »
Burke and Laura make an attractive couple. Burke kisses her on the lips and then on the neck as he leaves. She hurriedly lights up a cigarette after he leaves.  Sam reveals to guthrie that Laura burned his hands. Guthrie the bold one today invites Laura to the seance.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 05:07:55 PM »
Burke and Laura make an attractive couple. Burke kisses her on the lips and then on the neck as he leaves.

They'd have made a even more attractive couple if we the viewers didn't know she was only using him to get him on her side in her quest to get David. Once she achieved her goal she would have left Burke in the dust. It's too bad that Burke won't even entertain the notion that maybe she'll do just that once he helps her win David. But I suppose there are still a lot of unresolved feelings on his part for him to believe that she would even contemplate betraying him.

Boy did Burke came off as one big bully/tryant in this episode. He warns Sam not to tell any more dirt about Laura to Guthrie and tells him that he, Burke and Burke alone, will decide if Guthrie is harmless and trustworthy. and pretty much warned Guthrie that if he feels Guthrie is going to cause any trouble for Laura, he'll run him out of town on a rail. I know love can make people behave stupid and irrational but in Burke's case it's also made him think he has the right to dictate to others what they can and cannot do, who they can and cannot talk to. And the sad part is Laura really has no use for Burke than as a means to the end to be able to win David to her side.