Author Topic: Robservations 2/4/03 - #794/795 - Hope For Quentin?  (Read 1263 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Robservations 2/4/03 - #794/795 - Hope For Quentin?
« on: February 03, 2003, 11:53:50 PM »
794 - The werewolf growls in the confines of the chair.  He stands, looks at his paws, knocks over a table and flees the house.  Victor watches him go.  I must get the hand, he says.  He enters the Old House and sees table that held the box is now empty.  Frustrated, he slams his hand down on it.

Collinwood - Angelique looks out the window, hears a wolf howl, a sound that scares her (sure, that's her fiance howling out there).  Victor comes in--where's Edward? He asks.  He isn't here, says Angelique--perhaps he's in his study.  Don't bother him, says Victor, I can't resist talking to a beautiful young woman (horny old goat).  She grins, flattered.  I will be staying at Collinwood and I hope we will become fast friends, he says--call me Victor.  (and to the Victor go the spoils?)  I'll been around a week or two, he says, then go off to see the rest of your country--are you related to the Collins?  I almost was, she replies.  I'm sorry for prying, he says.  I understand, says Ang--I was engaged to a Collins, but it didn't work out, so I'm a guest, as you are.  We have something in common, they agree.  Your family came from Martinique? he asks, looking at some of the bric a brac.  My ancestors, she corrects.  Have you she ever been there yourself? Victor asks.  No, never, she says.  (liar!)  I was there in 1887 on a mission for the bureau of trade, he says, and sought some knowledge of the natives' customs, civilization, etc.--do such things interest you, like believes of various primitive people and their uses of magic, both black and white?  Of course I'm interested, she says, but I have no knowledge of them.  Fascinating place, Martinique, he says, you should go there someday.  Perhaps I will, she agrees.  I want to go see Edward, says Victor--where is the study?  Oh, dear, says Victor, I left the Collinsport Inn without taking my valuable out of the safe--I wanted to bring Edward a gift.  Too bad, she says.  I'm going back to the Inn at once, he says--don't tell Edward about the gift--I want it to be a surprise.  He leaves.  Ang appears uncertain.  She hears a strange, high-pitched sound and looks around.  She goes to Barnabas' portrait and looks at it, then smiles.  She throws her cape around her and leaves.

Aristede accepts a drink from the bartender at the Eagle and asks for a glass of chartreuse for his expected companion.  Victor enters the bar and joins Aristede at the table.  He's pleased to hear the efficient Aristede has already ordered something for him.  I found your young lady, says Victor, but didn't get the hand--I can almost forgive your blunder--she's beautiful--almost, adds Victor.  Aristede lights a cheroot for him.  The lady named Angelique may be a most formidable enemy, or a most valuable friend, says Victor.  I regard her as an enemy, says Aristede, since she tried to choke me.  The hand doesn't always bring out the best in people, says Victor--she would kill to get it, as would you, or I.  I vow to kill her next time I see her, says Aristede.  I doubt that, says Victor--I'm convinced she has supernatural powers, which means it will be tough to get the hand from her.  We must get the hand, says Aristede.  Victor counters, "*I* must get it!"  Allow me to get it back, begs Aristede.  This calls for careful planning, says Victor, and finesse--we will have to stick around longer than I anticipated--I have an ideal base from which to operate--Collinwood--Edward accepted the forged letter (a ha!) without question, accepting me as a member of the English aristocracy--I will work on Angelique from there; you will stay in the village.
Why? asks the latter.  No one must know about our relationship--you will do nothing until I tell you to--is that quite clear?  Yes, says Aristede, whatever you want.  Suddenly fearful, Victor points to a young woman standing at the bar, an exotic and beautiful young gypsy girl.  It's only a gypsy, says Aristede.  "You know how I hate them," says Victor.  I told you there were gypsies here, Aristede reminds him.  "The one who was responsible for bringing the hand here?" asks Victor, draining his glass.  No, says Aristede, I've never seen this one before.  Victor, adamant, scared and angry, orders--find out who she is and what she's doing here, and report to me in the woods outside Collinwood.  I promise to do as I am asked, Aristede assures him, surveying the comely gypsy now accepting a drink at the bar.

Aristede goes up to the young gypsy and says hello.  What do you want? she asks.  To meet you, he says, I find your face new and attractive.  Go away, she says.  I have a fondness for gypsies-- why have I never seen you here before? He asks.  I've never been here, she says.  Will you be staying? He asks.  What is it to you? she wonders.  I think you're very beautiful, says Aristede.  That means nothing to me, the woman replies.  (I love her clipped accent.)  I hope you are one of the gypsies who live in the village, he says.  Do you know them? she asks eagerly--like one named Magda Rakosi?  I've met her, he says.  I'm anxious to know where I can find her, says the young woman.  I'll tell, promises Aristede--if you tell me your name.  I don't understand why you want to know, she says.  "I like you," he replies.  "My name is Julianka," she says--just forget it--I won't be around long enough for anyone to "like" me.  He repeats her name, gives her his, and says, I hope you won't forget it--I'll take you to Magda after we've had a drink together.  He raises his glass to her.  All right, she agrees, clinking her glass to his.

Old House - Someone knocks at the door.  Barnabas checks to see who it is--Angelique.  Come in, he says, I must talk to you.  I sense urgency in your tone, she says, smiling--could it be that you are finally willing to admit I was right?--"I told you they'd find out about you, and then your mission here in this century would become impossible."  If that happens, he says, it would be your fault, not mine.  Meaning? she asks.  I spoke with Magda, he explains, who said Quentin appealed to you for help--have you agreed to help or haven't you?  Yes, she says.  How? he asks.  He told me about the hand, says Ang, and so I was able to get it for him--I tried to use it, but wasn't successful--Quentin underwent another transformation, she admits.  You fool! Snarls Barnabas--even you should have realized you couldn't control that thing.  I don't understand its powers anymore than you do, she says, so how could I have used it?--you always underestimate me--failure doesn't mean defeat to me, I will master the powers of the hand and try again, and keep on trying until I succeed.
Why have you decided to meddle in this--what have you to gain by helping Quentin?  A husband, she says.  He's stunned.  Quentin has agreed to marry me if I successfully end the curse.  "Stay away from Quentin Collins," warns Barnabas.  You aren't his keeper, Angelique reminds him.  You're meddling with history, and the lives of those in the future, he says.  And what about you? she asks.  (good point)  I tried not to change history, he says, you're doing this to spite me, it's your only reason.  "I'm doing it because I'm bored--with you, and the future and the past and the present," says Angelique--"I've bided my time, have waited and waited, I'm sick of waiting.  Life, even for people like us, Barnabas, is meant to be lived--I intend to start living it, and there's nothing you can do to stop me!"  She turns on her heel and leaves.  Barnabas closes the door behind her and tiredly ponders what happens next.

Aristede and Julianka walk through the woods.  He shows her the Old House, where Magda lives.  It isn't where you'd expect a gypsy to live, is it? asks Julianka.  No, he agrees.  I am grateful to you, she says.  He caresses her shoulder and suggests, show your gratitude by coming to the Blue Whale for a drink after you're finished tonight--I'll be waiting for you.  She takes out a sharp knife and holds it up threateningly.  Maybe you'll see me again, and maybe not, she says, then whirls away, heading to the Old House.  Aristede lights a cheroot, watching her go.  Julianka looks in the window of the Old House, then, knife in hand, opens the door and lets herself in.  Who are you and what do you want? asks Barnabas from the darkness.  Who are YOU? demands Julianka.  Answer my question and I'll answer yours, says Barnabas.  Julianka, she says--I'm looking for Magda.  Barnabas steps forward.  Why do you want to see Magda? he asks.  I heard she put a curse on one who lives at Collinwood, says Julianka--I have come to end the curse.  Barnabas stares at her. . .

Barnabas turns on a lamp.  He looks at Julianka--do you think you can end Quentin's curse? He asks.  I know I can, she says--but who are you?  Barnabas Collins, he says.  Yes, she says, I have heard of you, from Sandor Rakosi, who traveled to Montreal to find me and is still there with members of my tribe.
How will you end the curse? he asks.  I'm forbidden to tell, she says--my great-grandmother began the curse, when she put it on Count Petofi, and she passed the secret of the curse on to my grandmother, who passed it on to my mother, who passed it on to me--I am the only one who knows, and cannot reveal it.  I don't need to know what it is, says Barnabas, as long as you're sure it will work.  Oh, I'm sure, she says, but before I apply the cure, we must discuss my price--did you think there wouldn't be one?  I didn't know, says Barnabas.  Then perhaps I should see Magda, says Julianka.  Not necessary, says Barn, tell me.  She is of King Johnny Romano's tribe, says Julianka, and I am told Magda paid him a visit and stole a valuable possession.  The hand of Count Petofi, says Barnabas, and you want it back now.  Yes, she says. Unfortunately, says Barn, neither Magda nor I have the hand--it's in the possession of someone I know.  You will try to get it from this person? She asks--I advise you to try very hard, "Mr. Barnabas," because if you can't get it, I will return to the tribe and your friend's curse will go on.  Barnabas says, I need time.  She gives him 24 hours.  That's enough, he says.  I hope so, says Julianka--remember, without the hand, there will be no cure.  I remember, says Barnabas--stay here, I'll come back ASAP.

Aristede still stands in the woods, smoking.  He hears rustling.  The werewolf attacks Aristede, who cries out.  Victor appears; Aristede warns him away--"He'll get you!" he yells.  No, says Victor--be quiet, Aristede, get out--I am not afraid of this creature, nor is the creature afraid of me.  Aristede flees as told.  Victor puts his hand on the creature's shoulder and says softly, "I know who and what you are.  You don't understand me now, but you will when the time comes.  In the meantime, stay here, and do exactly what I tell you to do."
The werewolf and Victor seem as one in this moment.

NOTES (some from previous eps):  I have a very hard time understanding much of Victor's dialogue, so if some is missing or wrong, my apologies.  I remember having this trouble before.  His voice is so low and scratchy, it's hard to comprehend.

I thought Julianka was cool when I was a teenager.  She had great hair, and pretty eyes, and that clipped diction that sounded foreign and neat.

It really hurt to see Beth's devotion to Quentin and know he agreed to marry Angelique.  This sets in motion a tragedy, and once again, Angelique manages to wreck things.  Actually, she and Barnabas are BOTH mucking up 1897 and the future, but they'd never believe it of themselves, just each other.   And in scenes like this, they just crackle together.  Notice how he summoned her?  How many other couples have that form of communication?  LOL!

Hand, hand, who's got the hand?  It really does become rather humorous.   Victor and Aristede are both dangerous men, and as a pair, they are quite odd.  Aristede seems ready to do anything for him, including die.

Angelique is quite the little actress, convincing Edward, who seemed so implacable against her.  All she had to do was play the poor little victim routine and he bought it all.  Edward isn't too bright, is he?

They are really committing Judith quickly, but then again, she really seemed to take off in her madness rather quickly, too.

795 - Quentin, handsome face restored, chest exposed (yummy), awakens to find himself bound, sitting in a chair in a dark place.  He struggles against the ropes.  Aristede assures him the bonds are quite strong.  "You again," says Q distastefully.  Don't exert yourself, suggests Aristede--I'm persistent, and when I want something, I let nothing get in my way.  I gave you what you wanted, says Quentin.  "But I seem to have misplaced it again" complains the cheroot-smoking Aristede.  I don't have the hand anymore, says Quentin.  I know that, says Aristede, but you are going to help me get it back.  He walks over and raises a guillotine, a la Poe's Pit and the Pendulum, and above a table, to Quentin's horror.

Aristede tells Quentin this is part of "our" plan.  Who's working with you? asks Quentin.  A mere slip of the tongue, says Aristede--no one you'd know.  Just how will you use that? asks Q.   Aristede promises, you'll know then the time comes--you are here less than an hour.  It's the same night, realizes Quentin--you brought me here, you saw.  Yes, admits Aristede, I saw the amazing transformation from beast to man, it happened right in this room.  Impossible, I would have killed you, says Q.  You were easily subdued, Aristede assures him.  Quentin asks for a mirror.  It won't be necessary, says Aristede, it gives me great pleasure to bring you a small moment of consideration--your face was restored.  Did you do it? asks Q.  I don't know how, says Aristede, maybe just luck.  Quentin laughs--I am the lucky one--what is going to happen?   If your luck holds out, nothing, says Aristede--stop asking questions and pray for your life.  Aristede checks out the pendulum.  Why are you doing this to me? asks Quentin--I don't even know you!  I don't take any pleasure in all this, says Aristede--you must not take it personally, this is my job, and you've been chosen to help me do it.  He kneels to untie Quentin's ankles.  Quentin looks at the guillotine and sighs.

Angelique sits reading in the drawing room.  Barnabas, hiding behind the curtains, calls to her.  She closes the double doors--you never should have come here, she says.  I summoned you again and you ignored me, he says.  I didn't want to continue our earlier argument, she says.  That's not why I summoned you, he says, something important happened after you left.  Anxiously looking over her shoulder, she says we can't discuss this here, if someone from the family shows up... He reminds her, I can get away quickly enough.  It isn't you I'm worried about; I've gone to great pains to disassociate myself from you and re-establish myself in the household.  "I'm almost amused," remarks Barnabas.  (Loved the way he said that!)  Say it and leave, insists Ang.  Give me the hand, he says.  She refuses--not to you or anyone.  He explains, that someone came to the Old House who knows how to use the hand to cure Quentin.  Who? asks Ang.  A gypsy Magda sent for, says Barn--she wants the hand first--that's her price, and she intends to keep it.  Angelique looks unsure.  She walks away and says, tell her the answer is no.  I was right, says Barnabas--your feeling for Quentin--you made the deal with him to spite me, not because you care for him.  No, says Angie, you're wrong--I do care about Quentin, I feel strangely sorry for him.  "You never felt sorry for anyone in your life," accuses Barnabas.  And you have never been willing to admit I might have feelings, retorts Angie bitterly.  You had them once, says Barn, if you have any feelings now, you'll help Quentin.  She looks a bit shamed, and says, perhaps I will.  Just perhaps? says Barn.
My helping Quentin depends on you yourself, says Ang--you indicated earlier than you would do everything in your power to keep Quentin and me apart--if that's still your intention, you get nothing from me--if you promise to do nothing to interfere with my plans for Q, I will give you the hand.  You must realize, says Barn, my concern is not just for Quentin, but for two others in the future.  Ang says, your other involvements mean nothing to me--I've stated my terms, give me an answer.  I promise not to interfere. says Barnabas.  Wait for me outside, on the edge of the woods, and I'll get you the hand, says Ang, not seeming terribly happy about it.  We hear a squeaking bat, and Barnabas is gone.

Aristede orders Quentin to his feet.  Quentin struggles to rise.  Go to the table and lie on it, commands Aristede.  Quentin objects.  The other man orders, "Do as I say!" and brings out the Dancing Girl and holds it to Quentin's throat.  "You're insane!" says Q.  "On the table," orders Aristede.  Quentin lies back, and stares up nervously at the sharp blade above him.  Aristede binds Quentin's hands to the table, too.  It's wise for you to cooperate, says Aristede--if you hadn't, the Dancing Girl would have finished you.  What difference does it make? asks Quentin, you're going to kill me anyway.  I never said that, says Aristede--I want you to live.  "Then don't do this to me!" cries Quentin.  I'm afraid the decision isn't mine, says Aristede.  Whose is it?  asks Q--if it's the hand, maybe I can help you get it.  Aristede apologizes--the plan has been set in motion and we must follow through to the end.
Tell me the plan, demands Quentin.  Aristede explains, your life now depends on someone else, and if that someone loves you, you'll live--if not...well. . .  Aristede takes out a white handkerchief--there's one more thing to do--I doubt anyone would be walking by this building at this hour, but just in case...I wouldn't want you to be able to summon help--and he stuffs the handkerchief into Quentin's mouth.  Aristede sets the pendulum swinging, then bursts into laughter.  Quentin's terrified eyes follow it, back and forth, back and forth...

Old House - Barnabas returns with the hand and gives it to Julianka.  I didn't think you would succeed, says the girl, and tries to snatch is from him.  Not quite yet, says Barnabas--we still have a few matters to discuss.  I must see the hand first, she says--open it.  He does so.  "The hand of Count Petofi" says Julianka reverently.  I did my part, says Barnabas, the next step is up to you--you must immediately cure the curse.  What about that? she asks.  You get your payment when services are rendered, not before, says Barn.  Then it's impossible for me to do anything, she says, the hand is part of it, and without it, I can't cure your friend.  It's already been tried and failed, says Barnabas.  Of course it failed, says Julianka, because there are very few people who actually know how to use it--I am one of them!--you do not believe me?  Yes I do, says Barn.  Then let me have it, she says.  How soon can you start? He asks--must we wait for the next full moon?  His back to her, he doesn't see her reaching into a pocket.  He turns and finds her holding a knife on him--"your friend is going to suffer through many more full moons," says Julianka.   He takes a step toward her.  Stay right there, she orders, I know how to use the knife and will cut out your heart if I have to.  "You never had any intention of keeping your word," says Barnabas.  I came to get the hand and kill Magda--or both, she says.  I understand your feeling about Magda, says Barnabas--she stole this from you.  She betrayed her own people, says Julianka, that was her crime.  What about the man I want you to help? demands Barnabas--he's never done anything against you.  It was Magda who tried to put the curse on him, says Julianka, and Magda who tried to remove it.  For a good reason, says Barnabas.  "I care nothing about reasons!" says Julianka.  Forget about Magda, says Barnabas, but help this man--I'm willing to pay!  Money can't buy the value of this hand--you don't understand what it means to us--"Goodbye Mr. Barnabas," she says, and leaves the house.  It isn't goodbye, not at all, says Barnabas.

Woods - Julianka, hurrying through the forest, is accosted by a bat.  She screams when Barnabas appears before her.  Presumably, he applies a little vampire persuasion to the beautiful young gypsy.  "What are you?" she demands.  I think you know what I am, says Barnabas.  His eyes are highlighted as he orders, "Look at me."  Please, she begs, I'll give the hand back to you, go away and never return.  You will stay until you finish curing the curse, he says, and will be permitted to leave unharmed--do you understand?  Yes, she says.  I had no intention of dealing with you this way, he says, but it had to be so--now you will do wherever I tell you to do--you knows that, right?
Yes, she says.  You have no need to be afraid, says Barn.  "I am not afraid," she says, totally entranced.

Collinwood - Angelique sits by the fire.  Aristede taps at the window, beckoning for her to come outside.  She opens the window, looks out and closes it, grinning.  She leaves the house.

Back at the Old House, Barnabas tells Julianka, I'll keep the hand until you need it.  Yes, of course, she says, sounding a lot like Charity.  How long it will take to cure the curse? asks Barnabas.  It isn't necessary to wait for a full moon, says Julianka--bring Quentin here, and I will do as you want.  I'll bring him tomorrow night, says Barnabas.  There isn't a full moon tomorrow night, says Julianka, why not before?  He's already gone through one transformation, says Barn--you see, someone tried to use the hand on him.  Yes, says Julianka, used by the wrong person, the hand is uncontrollable, and almost always evil--your friend must be cured and then, you must let me take the hand away from here, because there are people who would kill to get it.

Aristede checks his pocketwatch.  Angelique joins him.  He bows to her, saying, "It's an honor that my little puppeteer has come to see me--I was afraid you wouldn't.  "You have no idea how curious I am, says Ang.  I've thought about you often since our last meeting, he says, and checked the local newspaper, something I never do--you are NOT a puppeteer.  She bursts out laughing.  He grabs her arm, nastily advising, don't laugh.  If you've come after that ridiculous hand, says Angelique. . .  "The hand you took from me--do I look such a fool?" he asks angrily.  What do you want? she asks.  To talk of your fiance, he says--I know considerably more than I did before about you.  "I'm sure you can talk about Quentin with whoever told you so much about me," she says.  Do you care for him very much? asks Aristede.  "And if I do?" she asks.  Do you intend to marry him? asks Aristede--tell me, and quickly.  What's the rush? she asks.  He checks his watch and says, "A moment of two makes no difference to me, does it to you?  No?  It does to Quentin--he only has 30 minutes left to live--such a pity for a man so young!"  Now Ang is upset--where do you have Quentin? she demands.  Do you want my handkerchief? He asks--do you have a small doll hidden in your gown?--shall I begin to choke again?--I think not.  I can do far worse to you, she threatens.
I advise you not to do anything, says Aristede--give me the hand and Quentin will live--that's all it will take.  She makes a move toward him.  He warns her, don't come near or try any of your tricks--Quentin has already started to die, and only I can stop it, so if you do anything to Aristede, you'll lose Quentin!  Her eyes widen.  Aristede laughs evilly.  I don't believe you, she says--what do you mean, Quentin has already started to die?  He checks his watch again--28 minutes left, that's all, says Aristede--"The hand, if you please!"

In that dank room, the wheels controlling the pendulum churn, the squeaky pendulum swings down, down, closer and closer, as Quentin watches with fear-filled eyes.  Will it cut him in half before help arrives?

NOTES:  I do love the melodrama of the swinging pendulum, Quentin about to be sliced in half, Angelique being approached by the smarmy Aristede, who does everything but twirl his mustache as if telling Ang that he has her beloved tied to the railroad tracks.

I knew Julianka was going to try to get the hand and leave, but apparently while she "knew" of Barnabas from Sandor, she didn't KNOW the full truth about him--that he was a vampire with special powers of his own.  He didn't want to take that route, but Julianka forced him, and I don't blame Barnabas.  Will she cure Quentin?  Does she really have the power she claims?

It's always so much fun when Ang and Barn get together.  Is he jealous of her engagement to Quentin, even if he won't admit it to himself?  After all, they were married once.  I guess their deaths nullified that one.  He's willing to stay out of it, as long as she helps.  Now Ang is going to have to retrieve the hand from Barnabas in order to save Quentin so he CAN be cured by Julianka!  Is this hand getting around or what?

Love, Robin