Author Topic: Other Cast Changes in 1967 NABET Strike  (Read 1402 times)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Other Cast Changes in 1967 NABET Strike
« on: March 31, 2008, 01:02:49 AM »
I was thinking about the actors returning to DS during the 1967 NABET strike after Dan Curtis asked them to, as he was afraid the show would be canceled if they couldn't produce more episodes after a certain time.

We know Robert Gerringer (Dr. Woodard) & Daniel Keyes (the caretaker) had their roles recast.  What if one or two other cast members also decided not to cross the picket line.  I refer to main cast members like  Nancy Barrett, Louis Edmunds, etc..

DC would never fire Jonathan Frid as he was the star and the center of the show and I doubt he would fire Joan Bennett.  Would he have done the recasting to other characters if that actor/actress didn't cross the picket line?

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Re: Other Cast Changes in 1967 NABET Strike
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 06:01:48 PM »
Was Frid a member of the cast at the time of the strike?

David

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 06:09:14 PM »
Was Frid a member of the cast at the time of the strike?

Yes.
When Robert Gerringer left, Frid was well established.

David

Offline I Ching

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 01:59:20 AM »
When Robert Gerringer left, Frid was well established.

Very true.  Frid made his first appearance on the show in Episode 211 on April 18, 1967 with the appearance of Barnabas Collins at Collinwood.  Gerringer did not appear on the show as Dr. Dave Woodard until Episode 231 on May 15, 1967, almost a month after the appearance of Barnabas.  Gerringer's last appearance was on October 5, 1967 in Episode 334.  Daniel Keyes last appeared as the caretaker on September 12, 1967 in Episode 317.
Hexagram # 51 - Chen (symbolizes the decisive moment when change is recognized)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 04:13:40 PM »
I mean no disrespect whatsoever to the above posters, but these werent the responses I was expecting.

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 05:54:12 PM »
Well, Joeytrom, I'll agree with you that Frid and Bennett wouldn't have been recast, and most likely, not Louis Edmonds. However, as for Carolyn (Nancy Barrett) and the younger characters, I think he probably would have. Many of the younger characters got their first big break from Dan Curtis. You can be sure all he had to pay them was the minimum required by SAG/AFTRA at the time. Since historically, 98 percent of all union actors are unemployed, it would have been no problem to recast.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 07:27:26 PM »
Imagine if Diana Walker had been brought in to permanently replace Nancy Barrett!!  [ghost_shocked]  DS just wouldn't have been the same without her brilliant later characterizations as Millicent, Charity/Pansy, 1995 Carolyn and 1970PT Carolyn - not to mention vampvic Carolyn. Not to mention suffering Walker through Ep #578 was bad enough!

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 07:47:20 PM »
Imagine if Diana Walker had been brought in to permanently replace Nancy Barrett!!  [ghost_shocked]  DS just wouldn't have been the same without her brilliant later characterizations as Millicent, Charity/Pansy, 1995 Carolyn and 1970PT Carolyn - not to mention vampvic Carolyn. Not to mention suffering Walker through Ep #578 was bad enough!

I totally agree. I can't imagine Walker as Millicent, Charity, 1970 PT Carolyn, Leticia or Melanie, just like I can't imagine James Hall (Willie number one) as Carl, 1970 PT Will Loomis, Desmond or Kendrick Young.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 10:36:48 PM »
I think they would have recast Joel Carruthers as Joe Haskell.  David Ford as Sam would have been recast. Although I liked Ford, I have to  say that I really liked Mark Allen as Sam the best.  [ghost_blink]
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 10:51:30 PM »
There was definitely a poetic quality to Mark Allen's Sam that was lost after David Ford took over the role. But then, as much as it was interesting in the beginning, I suspect that very quality might have lost its appeal sooner rather than later if Sam had continued to wax rhapsodic every time he appeared on the scene.