Author Topic: 50 Greatest Soap Opera Actors  (Read 884 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
50 Greatest Soap Opera Actors
« on: March 21, 2010, 04:58:12 PM »
Barnabas 49 out of 50-should have been much higher.

http://www.welovesoaps.net/2010/03/50-greatest-soap-actors-49-jonathan.html

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: 50 Greatest Soap Opera Actors
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 08:41:25 PM »
should have been much higher.

Well, not according to one of the comments.  :-\  But these lists are always subjective and no one is ever going to agree. I didn't always agree with the placement of the actresses on the actress list, but I was thrilled to see many of them had made it. And as far as Frid goes, I think we should be happy that Frid made the list at all because 1) none of the DS actresses made the actress list, and 2) even some non-DS actresses who I would personally consider to be or to have been great didn't make the list. Though I suspect that one of the reasons Frid is on the actors list is because the two people who run welovesoaps.com are DS fans. They mention DS frequently and have devoted several features to the show. Anyone who doesn't follow the site should check out the archives for DS (as well as the other soaps that the DS actors have appeared on - Joel Crothers, in particular, appears in several places)...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
Thanks MB for the explanation. I am glad the site is supportive of Dark Shadows. This is my first time at the website so I will check it out more. Thanks again.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 09:41:38 PM »
I've linked to a few different articles on the site - though not necessarily relating to the original DS. If one searches the Calendar Events / Announcements '09 I, '09 II and '10 I boards for welovesoaps, they should come up.

One thing I did mean to link to was a 1967 DS article. But it wasn't scanned very well, and I meant to check my own stuff because I think I have a copy and was going to see if I could get a better scan myself. Though, of course, it slipped my mind and I still haven't looked it up.  :-[  However, clicking on any of the DS links that will come up at the tops of some of the reports I've linked to will bring up a whole slew of DS features, including this one that I've never seen before from April '69 from the Montreal Gazette which features a photo of Frid as Barnabas that I've also never seen before: The Canadian Vampire who's become king of the US

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 12:05:39 AM »
Thanks MB. I always enjoy reading old articles as it gives you a perspective as to what an actor was thinking of in those times. Excellent and fascinating article.
On a side note when typing a comment(s) here I have been receiving Data Execution Prevention-Microsoft Windows that shuts down the site-its the only site this has happened to-no problem I just had to retype the messages.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 01:23:54 AM »
How strange - particularly because if you're only typing, nothing associated with that is in any way connected to the forum's system - it's you interacting with your browser and Windows.  :-\  Though nothing Windows does should ever surprise me.  ::)

Which version of Windows are you using and which browser?

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 03:08:55 AM »
It happened when I typed my comment then waited a minute because I think I just had commented minutes before. I use IE 8 and Windows XP. Probably an isolated thing.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 05:31:14 AM »
We're getting way OT - but before we close out this discussion here in this topic I should say that it may not be an isolated incident. Those Data Execution Prevention errors can crop up out of nowhere, and sometimes they're very hard to impossible to get rid of They're supposedly doing a good thing - but they're often more a pain in the ass than anything else. For example, I have a friend who installed the software to use Amazon's Unbox Video player (to download/watch movies to his computer) but every time he tried to open the files he'd downloaded or even open the directory they were downloaded to, he got a DEP error and either the Unbox software crashed or Windows Explorer crashed. He spent hours with Amazon support and no one could get to the bottom of the problem. Finally he just gave up.

Weird, yes. But that's Windows if you ask me. And what's weirder is that millions of other people apparently us the Unbox software without any problems whatsoever...

If you ever see the same error again, write it down and start a topic on the Testing board because I'm curious as to what it says.  :)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 06:32:41 PM »
I personally feel Genie Francis should have been higher but that is just me!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 09:18:26 PM »
Will do MB. Sorry for going off topic. So far so good. And I know how frustrating it could be. I would have hated typing a long comment and before you can click on post that horrible error message appears and you lose the comment-IE does restore the tab after windows closes but the post is gone.