Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0477  (Read 757 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0477
« on: February 12, 2008, 05:01:15 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0477
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 07:06:37 PM »
Once again I am struck by the difference between Cassandra and Angelique.  Angelique would not have fummydiddled around with the dream curse.  If she wanted Barnabas to be a vampire again, she would have cut to the chase and summoned the bat immediately - using the bat's cigarette lighter, no doubt.  But I like the dream curse, so I'm not complaining.

What does Carolyn think or remember about the compromising scene that Tony witnessed between her and Barnabas?  She said to Julia, a few episodes ago, that everybody had become a bit too involved in Barnabas's problems.  She apparently does not remember being bitten by Barnabas, and despite what Tony thinks he must have seen, Barnabas did not kiss her, so what does Carolyn think happened?  Or is it like when bits of pictures are digitally fuzzed up?  She knows she was there, she knows there was some sort of intimacy, but she can't put her finger on what it was?  No wonder she refuses to explain her behavior to Tony.

Lovely performance by Jerry Lacy.  I liked the way he was completely still when he was under Cassandra's spell.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 07:46:05 PM »
Lol re the bat's lighter.

fummydiddled... I've decided to take on a new personality quirk where I say this in every other sentence.   Your fault.

As for Carolyn's memory--  the brain seems capable of amazing reshuffling of awareness, and I say the brain rather than the mind because I've noticed something that happens in dreaming, not really a voluntary activity.    Some extreme alterations of the basic ground rules of life and living seem to happen, at least in my dreams.    In a dream I'll find myself accepting certain bizarre circumstances as being as basic to reality as anything can be... the same feeling as when you look out the window and all the cars are resting nicely on the ground.    The bizarre new "rules" in the dream seen as natural as gravity.

As I wake up, that overwhelming feeling of "normality" gradually fades, I come up through more and more layers of it, more and more aspects strike me as strange and I wonder, what the hell was I thinking, accepting all that?     What's notable to me is that this overpowering sense of "normality" seems to be part of the dreaming process.   It's as if it's arbitrarily switched on for the sake of any bizarre dream premise that comes into our heads.   

That makes it seem something physical is happening, like a particular neurotransmitter creating that sense of "rightness" is flooding the right bits of the brain just as we fall asleep.    It drains away as we wake, and the feeling goes.   

I know Carolyn is supposed to be out from under Barnabas's control by "now" (1968), but.... my concentration and focus are going because of, you know, my own neurological difficulties... but I'll try to wrap this up just by saying that perhaps Barnabas (w/o realizing it himself) controlled certain brain functions of Carolyn's, marshalling the brain's unconscious mechanisms so that they worked for him.     These certainly aren't under Carolyn's conscious control, and that absolute sense of "rightness" that the brain is capable of brainwashing us with during dreams, could do wonders in the hands of a really cranky and paranoid vampire.   

Maybe she was put into such an altered mental state by Barnabas then, that in coming out of it and recovering her real self, she had to travel so far away from that that it's hard to remember, like some dreams that were extreme experiences just a few minutes before waking... they can fade out of memory very fast.     Or think of it as Barnabas's being cured having turned off his effect on that neurotransmitter, whatever it might be.    BC is doing it all without thinking of brain chemistry, of course.

I was convinced I'd lost this post.  The computer froze, and even the window had disappeared... then it came back.    If someone out there decided to help out with the painful minutae (sp?) of my life, thanks....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 09:19:24 AM »
There was a classic blooper in this episode. [milestone] Cassandra had to relight the lighter when she was using it on Tony! [snow_laugh] It is funny that Cassandra chose Tony to do her bidding, when he looks exactly like Trask! (I wonder if Trask and Peterson are related?)  [snow_huh]

It was strange to watch Barnabas talk in his sleep.  [snow_strange] It was rather disconcerting, actually. Really weird. That would be frightening to want to wake up and be prevented from doing so by someone who was forcing you to sleep. [snow_shocked] But the most weird thing about this is that Angelique was really there, and not there in a dream. That was what I didn't like. [snow_sad]

By the way, I love Cassandra's green dress! Green is my favorite color, and that shade of green is one of my favorites. [luv]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 02:47:54 AM »
No doubt Cassandra deliberately chose Tony to be her slave because of his resemblance to the Trask of 1795 (she even admitted that she had wanted to enslave Trask, but obviously that wasn't necessary since he was too busy persecuting the wrong woman for Angelique's crimes!).

So she has enslaved the dead ringer of Reverend Trask and has married the man who is the spitting image of Joshua Collins....I think Angelique enjoys the irony of this.

It's too bad though, that Cassandra has now gotten Tony in her power because it will just cause more distance between him and Carolyn. I really think they could have a chance to work things out if there had never been a Cassandra at Collinwood.

I'm not surprised that Angelique is prolonging putting the curse on Barnabas....she wants to torture him. And maybe, just maybe, there is still a little spark of love for him that hasn't been quite gone out. I believed if she totally hated his guts at this point, she would have returned the curse on him the moment she showed up.