Author Topic: Are you the only one?  (Read 3260 times)

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Are you the only one?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2002, 09:38:53 PM »
Lets see now, when DS originally aired back in 1966 and ran til 1971, I watched it with my mother.  Don't remember anyone else watching it.

Now, I watch it and sometimes my 12 year old son comes out and watches it with me while he's dressing for school.  

My husband watched it when he was younger and would now too if he were home during the time it airs.  Oddly enough, he remembers Angelique, Barnabas and Quentin.

Now and then I will put in my tape of House of Dark Shadows and we'll watch it together.  Only when I feel a DS fix coming on .......... LOL

Only to satisfy those cravings til I get around to ordering the DS CD sets.  Maybe an early birthday gift to myself .........  ;)

"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*

Offline franimal

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2002, 09:55:30 PM »
When DS first aired in 1966, I was in grammar school in Queens and some friends also watched.

These days, I tape the episodes and my husband watches with me (no choice on his part - there's only 1 tv right now ;D) (in NJ now)

And.....I pass along the tapes to my step daughter (in Norwood, MA) who has become just as much of a DS addict as me.  My 4 year old likes to watch occasionally - he just couldn't understand when Barnabus aged ("what happened to him? He got OLD!!).  And, most importantly, he knows how to set up "mommy's channel" before he leaves for daycare - so I don't end up with tapes of Sponge Bob Squarepants  ;)

Franimal

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2002, 04:04:21 AM »
My husband watched it when he was younger and would now too if he were home during the time it airs.  Oddly enough, he remembers Angelique, Barnabas and Quentin.

Now and then I will put in my tape of House of Dark Shadows and we'll watch it together.  Only when I feel a DS fix coming on .......... LOL

Donna, a suggestion.  Maybe you should tape the show in the mornings and invite your husband to watch it with you (at least occasionally) in the evenings?  Bet he'd enjoy it from what you've said!

I'm surprised how many say that they were the only ones who watched the show when it originally aired in the 60s/70s.  I didn't know a single kid who didn't watch it when I was growing up!
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2002, 07:08:54 AM »

Donna, a suggestion.  Maybe you should tape the show in the mornings and invite your husband to watch it with you (at least occasionally) in the evenings?  Bet he'd enjoy it from what you've said!

I'm surprised how many say that they were the only ones who watched the show when it originally aired in the 60s/70s.  I didn't know a single kid who didn't watch it when I was growing up!

I watched it with a bunch of friends Vlad but none of them watch it now!that's why i love this forum!

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2002, 05:33:47 PM »
My sister gets the credit for starting my DS addiction.  Back in 1968 she was still in elementary school (I was in 7th grade at the time) and got home before I did so she made the big discovery.  I remember that it was at the dawn of the Barnabas era because she described the Old House and said this creepy guy was trying to steal jewels from the family mausoleum.  I missed Willie being caught by Barnabas but I gleefully jumped on the bandwagon shortly after that.  Unless I was home from school I always missed the beginning, which I can remember always being an annoyance.  Everyone at school seemed to be a fan shortly after that and I can remember watching the show with a friend in my neighborhood and discussing it at school with other kids.  My sister was a fan back then, still kind of likes it, but only watches occasionally now  - though she did attend the fest with me last August and is planning to go again this year.    Unfortunately, I've long ago lost track of the friend down the street and others from school who were fans.  When I got my DVD set last week my mother watched about the first 2 hours with me that evening.  She was working during the original run so was never home when it was on.  She said she might have watched if she had been.  I know she enjoyed reading both the books.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline ElizabethGrayson

• Junior Poster
  • Would you care to pet my dragon?
    • View Profile
    • Jen's Eclectic Corner...
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2002, 01:13:43 AM »
Nope, my beloved hubby watches with me....he's got a thing for Angelique, so I don't feel too bad about my Quentin thing.  My family thinks it's wierd though.  Their loss<G>
EG
Always remember you have the knowledge to do what's right, and the power to right what's done.
(Bill Sisler, "Fields of Honor")

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2002, 05:58:04 PM »
My daughter watches every once in a while with me.
But mostly I'm on my own. I have volume 1 thru 33
of the early episodes and volume 1 thru 130 of
ones that start with Barnabas.

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2002, 06:31:26 PM »
Watching it alone makes you feel the isolation so many of the characters feel...
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline The Cryptkeeper

• Dark Shadows fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2002, 04:53:19 AM »

My wife and I both love too watch DS. But I'm a bigger DS fan than she is.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2002, 05:01:31 AM »
Return of ....VAMpuppy!

Yay!! [hello]

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2002, 02:08:52 AM »
I watch pretty much by myself these days.  My two younger children were big fans last summer, but they can't keep up with the story lines while in school.  Sometimes they will watch the taped shows with me.  My oldest son home from college will sometimes ask me questions about the plot. Than make so wise comment.   Someone is always asking me if that person is good or bad.  My husband will watch for about two minutes.  His big question is did we meet that person at the fest last summer.  My sister in Jersey watches on a rare occasion.  I dragged her to the fest last summer.  
I think my 13 year old will get interested again when Quentin comes into the plot
Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2002, 03:22:52 AM »
As far as I know, I'm the only who watches it in the area I'm living in.  Then again, they would have to have Broadband to view Sci-Fi. I primarily watch it alone but now and then my 12 year old son will watch with me just as he's getting ready for school.

My Border Collie, Brittany Lynn, could be counted in I guess.  She's usually stretched out on the floor while DS is on.  She reacts to various sounds that may go on around on certain DS episodes.

When I was younger, my mom watched it with me.  That was during the 1966-1971 series run.
"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*