Author Topic: Pictures of the Old House online and a general question on the houses in DS  (Read 3019 times)

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Are there any pics online of the publicity shots of the Old House and/or Frid there?  I'd love to examine the house in more detail.  I tried Googling but Haven't had any luck.  I tried various permutations of "old House" and "Dark Shadows" and "Spratt House" (the RL name for the house, I think)

Also, the exteriors shown of Lang's house and the house that Nicholas moved into taken from any "real" locations and are there any photos of them?

Thanks!
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Unfortunately, Googling for DS pics isn't as easy as it would be for some other show.

The exterior shots of the Old House--there are some, including the one regularly seen as a scene transition on the series, as well as the publicity shots with JF standing outside the Old House with snow on the ground. These are in several of the books published by KLS, the Almanac's, etc etc. You could probably also find them on various Dark Shadows sites, whether official or fan sites. That's usually where you can find most DS pics that are worth something--meaning that they are clear and you can see them. Some sites to look at are:

www.collinwood.net

www.darkshadowsonline.com

www.jonathanfrid.com

www.laraparker.com

And others. Check out the little area below each cousin's post to see if they have any links there. I know someone on here has a wonderfrul David Selby site that might also have some good pictures that you are looking for.

As for Lang and Blair's house--I'm sure those were probably real houses somewhere at some point, but where those pictures were taken or how they were obtained, I've got no clue at all.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
As for Lang and Blair's house--I'm sure those were probably real houses somewhere at some point, but where those pictures were taken or how they were obtained, I've got no clue at all.

I *think* they were pictures in books.  I bellieve too that Wyndcliff and Rose Cottage were as well.  I could be wrong though.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site

I *think* they were pictures in books.  I bellieve too that Wyndcliff and Rose Cottage were as well.  I could be wrong though.  ;)

Ah that would explain why something about them seemed "off" when I watched the intros to those eps lately.  Not being an artist couldn 't put my finger on it, but they seemed different from the pictures of the other houses used on the show.

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
Can't recall offhand where I have seen shots like the ones Nelson is looking for; however, as someone who lives and works in the vicinity of Tarrytown, I DID find a site with pictures of the actual Spratt House:  http://www.hudsonvalleyruins.org/yasinsac/spratt/spratt.html

Not sure how much this photo will help with detail, but I figured I would throw it out for consideration.

And FYI Brandon,  the Selby site you are referring to is most likely Ms.Criseyde's,  and I can't remember one way or the other  if she has anything like the pictures that are being discussed.

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Yes! That's the Selby site, Pansity. Thanks. Sometimes by brain gets burnt. lol I knew someone would know what I was talking about.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
And FYI Brandon,  the Selby site you are referring to is most likely Ms.Criseyde's,  and I can't remember one way or the other  if she has anything like the pictures that are being discussed.
Neither can she.  ;D

I don't think there are any pictures of the houses on the Selby site. There's one of Seaview on my DS Alumni site -- one that has been shamelessly swiped by many people. It was taken by Bobubas and originally appeared on my site with no special effects added. Now it's part of a java applet that makes clouds roll across the photo with the occasional flash of lightning and accompanying thunder.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I don't think there are any pictures of the houses on the Selby site. There's one of Seaview on my DS Alumni site
 -- one that has been shamelessly swiped by many people. It was taken by Bobubas and originally appeared on my site with no special effects added. Now it's part of a java applet that makes clouds roll across the photo with the occasional flash of lightning and accompanying thunder.
Just looked at your site for the first time - and you know that image in the top left corner is exactly how I picture the masthead of the Beginning DVDs! :)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
It was taken by Bobubas and originally appeared on my site with no special effects added. Now it's part of a java applet that makes clouds roll across the photo with the occasional flash of lightning and accompanying thunder.

Pretty cool pic!  I was at Seaview that day w/Bobubas, Gothick, Sheenasma, Karlenfan and some others not on these Forums and took a similar pic myself.  Doesn't have the cool effects though, if it did, it wouild be more of a Harry Potter type pic, LOL!  ;)  Funny thing is, w/in 45 minutes or so the clouds disappeared and the sky turned a brilliant blue, and we never did get any rain that day.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
one that has been shamelessly swiped by many people.

Don't you love when that happens?  ::)  >:(  The lack of respect for copyright is sometimes overwhelming on the Web.

Now it's part of a java applet that makes clouds roll across the photo with the occasional flash of lightning and accompanying thunder.

I love that effect. Very cool. I actually wish I'd found it first.  :D

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Just looked at your site for the first time - and you know that image in the top left corner is exactly how I picture the masthead of the Beginning DVDs! :)
Both photos are the same. I just used converted one to black and white. The original photo is on Bob's site here, but he has a whole bunch of stuff from inside and outside the house that starts here.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
The lack of respect for copyright is sometimes overwhelming on the Web.
I hadn't noticed.  ;D
I love that effect. Very cool. I actually wish I'd found it first.  :D
I believe the standard way to handle such situations is to use it yourself and tell everyone you found it first.  ::)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I believe the standard way to handle such situations is to use it yourself and tell everyone you found it first.  ::)

Well, considering that it's been on your site for a while now, I'd have to say that I found it first but I just hadn't gotten around to using it.  [wink2]

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
I've got a boatload of scans over on my site.

Old House here:
http://www.hollowmoon.net/sites/darknessfalls/images/misc/index.html

JF at the Old House here:
http://www.hollowmoon.net/sites/darknessfalls/images/cast/frid/index.html

I really need to get around to updating it. I've got quite a large folder of scans to add as well.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I've got a boatload of scans over on my site.
Gorgeous!!! Thanks a lot!! It's going to seem silly but I have been toying and sketching ideas for the home I want to build one day.  It will be similar in style to either Queen Anne style/2nd Empire or perhaps based on the Old House...

Thanks!